Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 6 Feb 2004, 17:00 (Ref:865605)   #1
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbs and sprints

I've just registered,but can't seem to find an area that caters for hillclimbs and sprints.
Is there one or am I on my own?
Lister
Old 6 Feb 2004, 17:13 (Ref:865620)   #2
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lister,
Although i am no longer an active sprint and hillclimber i am sure there are people
with the same interests who post on the forum.
I am sure one of the moderators will point you in the correct direction.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 17:17 (Ref:865626)   #3
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to 10/10ths. I don't think there is specific section. I have always just posted on the nearest suitable section - marshals, other single seaters, saloons etc. (Sounds like a sports car??)There are a few people in the NW area who sprint and hillclimb. If you live close enough to this area, pm me and I can give you some pointers and contacts.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 17:53 (Ref:865653)   #4
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Thanks,
I run a 1969 Ginetta G17 single seater,a 1973 Ginetta G15 Turbo and a 1936 vintage Riley 9 Special.
I am a member of the HSA and have been competing for 8 years but have just found this site.
As you say,I can just log in where it looks interesting.
Lister
Old 6 Feb 2004, 18:29 (Ref:865681)   #5
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lister,

We at least have something else in common, my car was a Ginetta G15 also. Mine had hardly any mods to it but was used in the mod prod class.
But the handling is what made it a joy to drive.
Hope i can get to an event to see your cars.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 13:18 (Ref:866321)   #6
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its rather unfortunate that track days has its own section but the most affordable branch of proper fast motorsport - hillclimbs and sprints - doesnt (particularly when those speed events are desperate for venues and track days seem to have more than a fair share??). What next "cruises" and "sound offs" getting precedence?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:01 (Ref:866629)   #7
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their are supposed to be hillclimbs and sprints in the Isle Of Man sometimes but i'm not to sure you can hardly see the place on the weather they may not have phones over there but if i find any contact details i'll p.m you
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:16 (Ref:866640)   #8
Anuauto
Racer

If you are based in Kent please let us know of any potential new hillclimb or sprint venues you think might be even remote possibilities. Someone will be able to follow up on any ideas.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:42 (Ref:866666)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
For now Anuauto this is probably the best forum to discuss hil climbs and sprints. I would suggest that if there were sufficient threads and interest to form a seperate forum, then it may be considered. So, the more interest you can generate and the more threads running on the topic, the more chance you have of success?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 04:38 (Ref:866824)   #10
albatross
Rookie

albatross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to run a 1970 Big Block Camaro in hillclimbs too so I would also be interested in any info on classes and clubs.

David
Old 8 Feb 2004, 08:31 (Ref:866870)   #11
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Albatross,Are you talking about Italy or UK?
There are a lot of hillclimbs in Italy,last year I was invited to 2 or 3 although I did not go,but I do one in northern France each year
I will try and look up their details.
I know there is also a European hillclimb series
Lister
Old 8 Feb 2004, 10:50 (Ref:866939)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum listernoble

As Stephen Green said, I think, this is the best forum for hill climb discussion. Track day got its own forum because there was the interest. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest around here. Although there are quite a few Hill climb marshals on board.

I was involved a little with the Jaguar Car Club and they used to do a couple of Hill Climbs a year. More or less the first and last meeting. Unfortunately this stopped the year I started racing.

I would like to do one or two hill climbs. Especially as I have an interest for pretty much most forms of motorsport. Unfortunately I know little of the clubs, how to do a single event, etc... Any advice for me?

And how many sprinters and hill climbers does ten-tenths have out there?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 11:22 (Ref:866965)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Listernoble.

You might also look into the Historic Racing Forum. There are a lot of VSCC people who hillclimb and as your cars are "historic" you'll find others to speak with.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 13:15 (Ref:867063)   #14
Anuauto
Racer

I believe the JaguarCC speed events more or less ceased on the death of organiser Tom Rowe? The MSA fixture list gives details of which organising club runs at which venue. Advice depends on what vehicle you intend using. One of the problems from the earliest days to now is classes for roadgoing cars. There is still no national class structure in universal use in the UK - and the latest MSC offering has flaws that will prevent its adoption in all (or any?) regions. All MSC committees remain unelected in any recognisable democratic form and the relevant ones for speed events are no different...
It depends how far you wish to travel from Sheffield. Harewood is the obvious hill climb venue, with a wide eligibility for the various meetings.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:13 (Ref:867112)   #15
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Listernoble.

You might also look into the Historic Racing Forum. There are a lot of VSCC people who hillclimb and as your cars are "historic" you'll find others to speak with.

And welcome to the forum.
Thank Peter I am a memeber of the VSCC also the HSA,Hagley (Loton) Ginetta OC and Riley register.
I usually do around 20-30 events a year.
I do not currently need any info re hillclimbing but will keep an eye on this forum area.
Be nice to know if there any hillclimb bods based in East Anglia?
Lister
Old 8 Feb 2004, 15:59 (Ref:867174)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone wishing to find out more about sprints / hillclimbs could do worse than looking at the dedicated section at www.ukmotorsport.com . It lists links to most of the championships, most of these are run by Regional Associations. There are a few very active clubs which run several events each - although this does depend on where you live...

Most sprint events are open to invited clubs (and sometimes to all clubs within their regional association), so you don't have to be signed up to any championship (although this is usually very cheap and helps to guarantee entries).

Being a member of the MGCC and Bristol Pegasus MC means that I can attend most sprints around the south.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 19:48 (Ref:867326)   #17
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Anuauto
If you are based in Kent please let us know of any potential new hillclimb or sprint venues you think might be even remote possibilities. Someone will be able to follow up on any ideas.
i will keep an ear to the ground
Old 11 Feb 2004, 14:26 (Ref:870746)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Count me in as a sprinter / hillclimber
Old 11 Feb 2004, 17:02 (Ref:870880)   #19
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hills/sprints are a really mellow day and I've seen several people compete in everything from their company cars to bonkers Formula one motored machines - from Sheffield the nearest is Harewood and maybe also Curborough sprint
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:05 (Ref:871259)   #20
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
halecmini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
count me in.. my dad and brother were v succesfull hillclimb and sprinters... still hold some records!!!???!!!
Old 12 Feb 2004, 12:42 (Ref:871799)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do sprints as an official - great fun from my point of view and very relaxed, especially at Curborough. I've been to Hethel a couple of times and really enjoyed that too.

Check out the BARC Midlands website for details of our sprints for the year.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 10:04 (Ref:872910)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
or Sevenoaks motor club for ours!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:52 (Ref:886220)   #23
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Werrington Park

We will be staying, this weekend, with some good friends, near Launceston on the Devon/Cornwall border. During each visit they suggest that we should take the car down and "do" the Werrington Park Hillclimb.
I notice that Plymouth MC are running an event there on 1st/2nd May whilst the VSCC Wiscombe Park event is on the 9th. It seems an ideal opportunity to do Werrington, spend a week with them in the sunny(!) west, then run at Wiscombe on the way home.

Anyone know anything about the venue?

Have you run/spectated/marshalled there?

Is the park/track open to the public so that I can do a recce this weekend?

Are meetings oversubscribed there, in other words, am I likely to get an entry?

Do they run suitable classes for a 1934 Riley 12/4, road registered, 2 seat, 1500cc sports car ?

Any thoughts anyone?

Attached photos show the car just in case you are not into PVT stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-5 53 54_tn.jpg (45.8 KB, 175 views)
Old 26 Feb 2004, 13:21 (Ref:886246)   #24
Anuauto
Racer

Werrington runs one weekend a year. Sunday ASWMC Championship, Saturday now includes ACSMC championship but to ASWMC regs which (alone in UK now?) still allows super sticky "road" tyres in roadgoing classes (hence limited interest from ACSMC contenders, quite apart from distance). Not aware of any separate historics classes but you can run in one or other of modern categories? Arguably the best course in the country, shame about a few other aspects...
There is also the Wiscombe 500 OC meeting the day before the VSCC one.

Last edited by Anuauto; 26 Feb 2004 at 13:23.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 13:28 (Ref:901956)   #25
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A forum for Hillclimbers and Sprinting would be most welcome.It is very much the most easily accessable form of racing.
For the last three seasons, I have run an Austin Healey 3000 to works spec, in the historics and so far,drive to and from events from London area.
I'm a regular at Loton Park, Prescott and Shelsley Walsh and can only recommend the welcoming atmosphere that is common to alll venues. Also it's maybe worth mentioning that generally, you are racing only against your previous personal best time, as carweights and outputs in the classes vary wildly.
If you have ever considered having a go, then do so. Cars (like used Westfields)start at very resonable sums.

Last edited by C R Box; 11 Mar 2004 at 13:30.