Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 14 Oct 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2561571)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NASCAR Hall of Fame; First Class

NASCAR announced their first hall of fame class today.

this seems a little silly for motorsports to me but i do like the fact that they are honoring some of the true legends and pioneers of the sport.

"Big" Bill France, Sr.
Richard Petty, the King
"Little" Bill France, Jr.
Dale Earnhardt, the Intimidator
Junior Johnson, the Wilkes County Wild Man

the first class really needs no introduction, but must say, the others that recieved votes will make it into the hall one day, unless NASCAR still has a beef with Curtis Turner. they did let him back him and i think he and Big Bill finally buried the ax.

the others that were up for inductions:
Bobby Allison, Buck Baker, Red Byron, Richard Childress, Richie Evans, Tim Flock, Rick Hendrick, Ned Jarrett, Bud Moore, Raymond Parks, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts, Herb Thomas, Curtis Turner, Darrell Waltrip, Joe Weatherly, Glen Wood and Cale Yarborough
Old 14 Oct 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2561573)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't remember who I voted for now. Definitely The King and The Intimidator. Probably Yarborough too. I'm a little green to NASCAR really only really know anything about the last 10 years or so. So the true legends before that have to be very big.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2561627)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
David Pearson should have been in that first group. The battles between he and Petty, when the sport was picking up television coverage and gaining a fan base outside the south, were legendary
Old 15 Oct 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2561640)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
David Pearson should have been in that first group. The battles between he and Petty, when the sport was picking up television coverage and gaining a fan base outside the south, were legendary
That was my first thought when I read that list. I suppose you've got to cut it off somewhere though. I didn't see Derrick Cope or Hut Strickland on the list? Junior numbers don't display how good of a driver he was though... maybe the best.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2561658)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I totally agree. Pearson should have been in the group instead of France, Jr and France, Jr should have been in next years group. The other inductees are kinda no brainers for picks.

Pearson just may have been the greatest nascar driver of them all.

Course we can argue until the cows come home and it won't change anything.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 01:45 (Ref:2561674)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I didn't see Derrick Cope or Hut Strickland on the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Junior numbers don't display how good of a driver he was. though... maybe the best.
Junior did have 50 wins as a driver and 132 as an owner, but had to retire from retiring early, making what Petty did that much more impressive.

Junior Johnson, "Little" Joe Weatherly and Curtis Turner were probably the best pure drivers there every were, from what i've read.
and Tim Flock won 21% of the races he entered.
and the Silver Fox was no slouch himself.

to get everyone that deserves to be in there, it is going to take them a loooooooooooong time if they do just 5 per eyear.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2562362)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Junior did have 50 wins as a driver and 132 as an owner, but had to retire from retiring early, making what Petty did that much more impressive.

Junior Johnson, "Little" Joe Weatherly and Curtis Turner were probably the best pure drivers there every were, from what i've read.
and Tim Flock won 21% of the races he entered.
and the Silver Fox was no slouch himself.

to get everyone that deserves to be in there, it is going to take them a loooooooooooong time if they do just 5 per eyear.
I think it will be more difficult to pick next years class than it was this year. For the most part, this years class was a no brainer. next year it will be more argumentive, IMO.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2562365)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Buck Baker, Red Byron, and Cale Yarborough will be in next year I think. Not sure on the other two.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 00:19 (Ref:2562366)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
i agree, the next year will be pretty difficult, as the first five were pretty easy to pick.

my next five would have to be:

Cale
Bobby Allison
Joe Weatherly
Pearson
and a toss up between Lee Petty, Curtis Turner, DW and Raymond Parks (got to get a Dawsonville boy in there soon )

anyone on the list of 25 deserve it.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2563234)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
A friend of mine posted this on another forum and I thought it was a pretty good idea:

If it had been up to me, I would have inducted a class of 15 for this first year only.

I would have named 5 Founding Contributers: Bill France Sr., Harold Brasington, Raymond Parks, Carl Keikefer, and Red Vogt.

I would have named 5 founding drivers: Lloyd Seay, Red Byron, Lee Petty, Herb Thomas, and Tim Flock.

I would have then voted 5 in like they did. With so many worthy candidates, it could be years before some of these early stars ands contributers are recognized, and someone like 95 year old Raymond Parks should be recognized while they are still alive and kicking.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2563236)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not View Post
I would have then voted 5 in like they did. With so many worthy candidates, it could be years before some of these early stars ands contributers are recognized, and someone like 95 year old Raymond Parks should be recognized while they are still alive and kicking.
now that you mentioned it, this is a must...never thought about getting these guys in while they are still alive....there are a lot of them that have passed already that will get in the eventually.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2563257)   #12
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd certainly not have put Bill France Jr. in first time round, neither would I have gone for Dale Earnhardt, although his selection was something of a racing certainty. Raymond Parks (especially because he's 95!) would have gone in , as would David Pearson.

Two great drivers that I don't thing anyone has mentioned so far: Cotton Owens, and Fred Lorenzen