Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 24 Sep 2002, 19:13 (Ref:387501)   #76
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be looking forward to Castle Combe on the 5th.. press releases are all about hype.. and you need plenty of that in this business I guess. But its the driving that counts in the end and if you're winning championships - then no-one can argue with that.

And surely you have to be at least a little arrogant in motor sport??
Old 24 Sep 2002, 19:19 (Ref:387506)   #77
danielclarke
Rookie

danielclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too right Dan! These cars alone cost thousands. And the time and effort put into it all by mechanics, managers and sposnors adds to the maounting pressure. You've got to be confident in what you're doing!

Right again, you've got to do the business out on the track too if your press releases are full of hype. Enough journalists build hype on drivers just off the back of their previous results and they often don't know what goes on in the background, behind the scenes.

Daniel
http://www.DanielRacing.com
Old 24 Sep 2002, 19:31 (Ref:387512)   #78
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See you at Combe then.. I'll be marshalling somewhere out there, so be sure not to crash with us!!

Have a good race, it should be an interesting day.

(If anyones near Combe on the 19th October, I'll be competing in a sprint and you'll be able to watch a truely talented driver at work.. arrogance, Pah!)
Old 24 Sep 2002, 19:37 (Ref:387516)   #79
danielclarke
Rookie

danielclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
19th is the FFord Festival Dan

Daniel
http://www.DanielRacing.com
Old 9 Oct 2002, 22:38 (Ref:399780)   #80
Fred
Racer

Fred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by danielclarke
[B]What you saying Bobajob? That despite Autosport and Motorsport News' claims that the Junior championship is as tough as the seniors, if not more so, are wrong? Are you slating all my competitors now?

I know there are lies, damned lies and statistics ? But in the 12 races of the series how did you do ? The bloke who won, Ben Clucas (?), got 10 podiums and on the other two, his engine stopped ( Snetterton ), and somebody bent his suspension whilst trying to introduce him to the gravel trap ( Brands ) which didn't stop him being with 0.1 second of fastest lap on the day...

Did he make the same sort of song and dance after each of his six victories or is it a case of empty vessels and loud noises ?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:44 (Ref:400233)   #81
Fierce Shunt
Rookie

Fierce Shunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations

I would like to apologise to Daniel. After such a good victory at Thruxton I believed that it would be inpossible for him to improve on his performance, however, I was proved wrong. I should not have doubted him..
Qualifying 15th and trying to ovetake most of the field in one corner causing him to crash into the side of another competitor has got to mark him out to be a future F1 champion surely. Come on guys, stop giving him such a hard time and lets support our home grown talent!!

I hope you didnt damage your fingers too badly in the accident and so should be able to post your press release on here soon.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 13:01 (Ref:400258)   #82
Fierce Shunt
Rookie

Here is a quote by Mr. Ian, Daniel Clarkes PR man, Sowman from the Hamilton thread -
Quote:
I'm not yet convinced about Hamilton, but well done to him for his win at Donington. And I thought the copy in the original post was a bit over the top... "masterful", "scintillating, "dominant"... why do people write stuff like that!
Why Mr Sowman? Why indeed?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:12 (Ref:400332)   #83
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Irony, Fierce, irony.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:22 (Ref:400339)   #84
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, and seeing as you're so keen to read about what happened at Combe, the release is on Danielracing.com.

As for Ben Clucas not making a song and dance about his victories, which he'd be perfectly entitled to do, is that really anything to do with Daniel? It's down to Ben who has chosen not to post to the forum, or maybe isn't aware that it exists. Just because the drivers that do choose to interact with the public via this medium may not have been champions this year is no need to slate them at every opportunity...
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:40 (Ref:400357)   #85
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is when the topic seems to be his PR and not his results. You arent doing a very good job of making Daniel look well in racing circles.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:18 (Ref:400391)   #86
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Russfeld,

First, I do more or less as Daniel asks me to (ie the releases are to his specification; I personally would do them slightly differently).

Second, I'm not really sure what you mean by the topic being his PR and not his results. His PR is *about* his results. I'd be interested to find out exactly what you mean.

I don't want this to be a Daniel-specific discussion; I want to find out when people think it is valid to use PR and how best to do it.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:03 (Ref:400441)   #87
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I mean is the nature of these discussions. The emphasis is on his PR and how they disproportionately refelct the results. Clearly if he was as good as the image is trying to portray, there wouldnt be the backlash. Courtney had a lot of PR this year, but he also backed it up. He fell ultimately short of what was expected, but he still achieved a lot. This is not the mainstream public who needs to be informed about up and coming stars. We know who's out there, we know the situations, and we are following the junior formulae closely. If Daniel's that good, we'd be talking about him anyways.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:20 (Ref:400448)   #88
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Okay, but it's neither Daniel or myself that has started these discussions (okay, Daniel has posted the release but has taken someone else to make the first comment).

The releases we used to put on here (we're not going to bother any longer, because we *have* learnt) were the same as appeared on his website, which you would expect to be rather partisan, appealing as it does to people who are already keen followers of the sport as well as 'newbies'. They're also identical to the releases that went out various media outlets, specifically local press in Daniel's area.

What I can glean, then, is that if the releases had been more tailored to the forum, maybe more informative rather than trumpet-blowing, they would have been better received.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Russfeld - it's appreciated.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 10 Oct 2002 at 16:20.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:44 (Ref:400463)   #89
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been following this thread since the beginning and having just read the realese again, it doesn't sound too bad. I think maybe the problem was that he posted it himself ??
I wouldnt dream of posting something like that about myself, but then again Im not a rising star in a high profile series
best of luck to Daniel anyway.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 18:14 (Ref:400541)   #90
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Could be Woody, although it did have my name on the bottom and it was written in the third person! I did ask people on here which bits they specifically objected to but no-one replied; indeed, the person I addressed the question to hasn't been seen here since after making 50 postings in three days. Very odd.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 19:08 (Ref:400575)   #91
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it gets Daniel noticed by other teams, sponsors then fair play to him. I know some very promising drivers whose careers could come to an end if they cannot get sponsorship for next season. Look at Ayrton Senna, he nearly gave up due to lack of funds.

Come on Daniel back up the PR with some more victories.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 19:52 (Ref:400600)   #92
Fred
Racer

Fred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Ben Clucas not making a song and dance about his victories, which he'd be perfectly entitled to do, is that really anything to do with Daniel? It's down to Ben who has chosen not to post to the forum, or maybe isn't aware that it exists. Just because the drivers that do choose to interact with the public via this medium may not have been champions this year is no need to slate them at every opportunity... [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't recall slating anyone and the parallel I made was in connection with noise generated in relation to the success achieved. Surely the essence of good PR is to address it specifically to the medium used ? The best PR is that which gets the point over without trying to ram it down your throat.

It is right that he ( DC ) should feel proud of his achievements but perhaps perspective only comes with maturity ? and that comes from the person not their age.

Fred
Old 10 Oct 2002, 20:14 (Ref:400622)   #93
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some people just dontlike someone talking themself up alot....I understand Ian writes his pres releases , and i dont see anything wrong with it...

As ive said before , if he was a no hoper then people would have a point and it would look silly , but he's doing alright , winning races etc , he just needs to keep the momentum going .

so whats the problem ....i always read the email press release that they send me , yes , it is very Pro daniel , but it would be wouldnt it . I dont realy see what he probem is .

what the plan for next year Daniel?....
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:41 (Ref:400735)   #94
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Fred

I didn't mean to imply that you personally had done any slating, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Other people do just seem to be on here to have a go sometime, however. I agree with your points, by the way - I wouldn't personally have posted the releases on here, but I do defend Daniel's right to.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:31 (Ref:401095)   #95
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Novice
Look at Ayrton Senna, he nearly gave up due to lack of funds.
Hello? Is that some sort of joke or what?
Senna's family were rather rich at that stage, a bit like 'Jungle Boy' who's family are multi-millionaires in a country where that average net worth is about £2.50!!
Old 11 Oct 2002, 16:52 (Ref:401242)   #96
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes , but Aryton's father did refuse at one point to fund his sons racing career any futher .
Old 11 Oct 2002, 23:41 (Ref:401553)   #97
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna did indeed have financial problems and returned to Brazil. Dennis Rushen (you will see him around the FRenault paddock and F3) who ran the very succesful FFord2000 Rushen Green racing team, brought Senna back to England and ran him for a couple of years. Predictably, Senna did pretty good, won the championship. Dennis reckons it was all due to his engineering.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 12 Oct 2002, 02:59 (Ref:401661)   #98
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Is Dennis Rushen stil chairman of the BARC ?
Old 12 Oct 2002, 15:44 (Ref:402071)   #99
Fierce Shunt
Rookie

Never was, its Dennis Carter
Old 12 Oct 2002, 15:54 (Ref:402077)   #100
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
o yes......my mistake !....just put my confused head on again !