Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2024, 06:30 (Ref:4211615)   #1001
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's people I listen to about F1 - top tier journalists like Hughes and Roebuck (in years gone by) - and there's those I don't. Like internet news channels and forums.

Mark Hughes is one of the finest journalists of today, stands comparison with Denis Jenkinson IMO. I trust his opinion and use it as evidence as I form my own. GR plainly has driving talent aplenty and seems comfortable taking a leading role within the team so with the additional input from someone who knows I'd say yes GR is top tier.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Jun 2024, 09:16 (Ref:4211634)   #1002
Ethan12
Rookie

Ethan12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef

There's a chance. Mercedes has been strong, but they've had some shaky moments. We'll have to wait and see if it's the end of an era or just a bump in the road.
Old 3 Jun 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4211640)   #1003
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mercedes are still competing near the front, if not at the front. They have got it in them to get back on top
Old 3 Jun 2024, 21:40 (Ref:4211698)   #1004
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I think it might be a similar case to Nico Rosberg, who wasn’t especially hyped up after beating Michael Schumacher who was considered to be a different driver, but it turned out that, up against Hamilton, he was actually very good after all. Russell might well be on a similar level to Rosberg. And there is less reason to think that Hamilton’s form has significantly dropped than there was with Schumacher.

I think Russell is probably fourth best right now, but very close to Norris and Leclerc and so could potentially be ahead of them and second only to Verstappen.
Old 3 Jun 2024, 23:37 (Ref:4211704)   #1005
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poor mans Ron Dennis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dennis
We make history and you write about it.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 00:56 (Ref:4211714)   #1006
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I think it might be a similar case to Nico Rosberg, who wasn’t especially hyped up after beating Michael Schumacher who was considered to be a different driver, but it turned out that, up against Hamilton, he was actually very good after all. Russell might well be on a similar level to Rosberg. And there is less reason to think that Hamilton’s form has significantly dropped than there was with Schumacher.

I think Russell is probably fourth best right now, but very close to Norris and Leclerc and so could potentially be ahead of them and second only to Verstappen.
Russell isn't fit to tie Rosberg's shoes
Old 4 Jun 2024, 07:40 (Ref:4211750)   #1007
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post

Interesting opinion,considering the 7-1 advantage he currently holds over the driver who beat Rosberg 7-1 in terms of championships.Of course,there is the possibility that none of those championships could have been won without a vastly superior engine and we may remember how that fared when faced with a Ferrari engine that had a mysterious advantage.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 09:28 (Ref:4211764)   #1008
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Interesting opinion,considering the 7-1 advantage he currently holds over the driver who beat Rosberg 7-1 in terms of championships.Of course,there is the possibility that none of those championships could have been won without a vastly superior engine and we may remember how that fared when faced with a Ferrari engine that had a mysterious advantage.
2-1 advantage over Rosberg to split hairs
Old 4 Jun 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4211788)   #1009
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post

Last year I rated Russell 9th in the end of year thread, which was a disappointment because his first year inte h Merc' was better IMO. This year he maybe a little higher due to his qualy record vs Hamilton. Like several other drivers on the grid, if he was plonked in the best car, he would probably have a WDC in him.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 21:27 (Ref:4211857)   #1010
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Last year I rated Russell 9th in the end of year thread, which was a disappointment because his first year inte h Merc' was better IMO. This year he maybe a little higher due to his qualy record vs Hamilton. Like several other drivers on the grid, if he was plonked in the best car, he would probably have a WDC in him.
Don't see an awful lot wromg with Russell's attitude, pace or commitment tbh.
Just needs a bit more composure in the heat of the moment as he seens to getsl a bit of the red mist at times.
Mind you i'm sure he said that Montoya was a hero of his when growimg up so that might explain the aggression at times!!
Old 8 Jun 2024, 22:43 (Ref:4212456)   #1011
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hilarious. Rosberg isn't fit to tie Russells shoes.

Its 8/1 now. And Russell beat Hamilton on his strongest track.
Old 8 Jun 2024, 23:01 (Ref:4212457)   #1012
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And he set his pole time on a used set as well!

Let’s see if he can convert, but performances like today definitely change minds….admittedly it’s having that effect on me.

Also hoping to see a Merc strategy tomorrow that prioritizes a win and not max points or keeping both drivers happy. be aggressive out there!
Old 9 Jun 2024, 05:14 (Ref:4212482)   #1013
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some talk in the paddock about Ocon signing a 1 year deal with Mercedes
Old 10 Jun 2024, 02:10 (Ref:4212765)   #1014
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
…Let’s see if he can convert, but performances like today definitely change minds….admittedly it’s having that effect on me…
To add to this, despite a few errors, I really like how he kept on it and even though it was in a DRS zone, he made a tough move to pass Ham. I think that’s the kind of thing you expect the team leader to do.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 02:11 (Ref:4212766)   #1015
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
…Let’s see if he can convert, but performances like today definitely change minds….admittedly it’s having that effect on me…
To add to this, despite a few errors, I really like how he kept on it and even though it was in a DRS zone, he made a tough move to pass Ham. I think that’s the kind of thing you expect the team leader to do.

Took the teams first race podium of the season with it.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 06:17 (Ref:4212787)   #1016
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
There is some talk in the paddock about Ocon signing a 1 year deal with Mercedes
That would be a great signing IMO!
Old 10 Jun 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4212793)   #1017
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
That would be a great signing IMO!
How does choosing Ocon over Sainz make any sense?
Probably about as much as signing Perez over Sainz does.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 19:52 (Ref:4212921)   #1018
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
There is, although his behaviour with team orders again yesterday was pretty shocking.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 20:31 (Ref:4212930)   #1019
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
There is, although his behaviour with team orders again yesterday was pretty shocking.
I assume you mean how he answered the question regarding being screwed by the team? That his answer was not diplomatic enough? I am no fan of Ocon by a mile, but I think it's hard to hold your tongue if you get publicly screwed by your team that has dropped you. I mean the right thing would have been to smile and take it. Especially if he is looking for a ride.

Richard

PS: I hope Ocon goes to Mercedes just for the entertainment factor alone!
Old 10 Jun 2024, 20:48 (Ref:4212935)   #1020
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
I meant more the childishly time taken to let the Gasman through, denying him the time to attack for P8, potentially costing vital team points.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 20:54 (Ref:4212939)   #1021
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I assume you mean how he answered the question regarding being screwed by the team? That his answer was not diplomatic enough? I am no fan of Ocon by a mile, but I think it's hard to hold your tongue if you get publicly screwed by your team that has dropped you. I mean the right thing would have been to smile and take it. Especially if he is looking for a ride.

Richard

PS: I hope Ocon goes to Mercedes just for the entertainment factor alone!
He didn't get screwed by the team, sound reasons for not swapping the order back again and he could have checked on that before having his dummy spit to the media but then a calm approach doesn't seem to suit his personality. Agree that if he does go to Mercedes, it could be an entertaining year.

Quote:
I meant more the childishly time taken to let the Gasman through, denying him the time to attack for P8, potentially costing vital team points.
Agree - took far too long, although it's not the first time we've seen drivers do that.
Old 10 Jun 2024, 20:59 (Ref:4212941)   #1022
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Probably about as much as signing Perez over Sainz does.
I would imagine Saimz is reluctant to accept just a one year deal? He needs a lomger term commitment that he feels refects his status as ome of the top 6 or 7 drivers.

For an Ocom or a Bottas it's a different story. Tbey need to prove they want to, or need to stay on the grid. Ome year doing rrasonably well alomgside Russell may present more optioms for '26 onwards. Better chance to prive this in a Merc tham a Haas.
Old 11 Jun 2024, 00:00 (Ref:4212962)   #1023
Skam85
Veteran

Ocon and Russell would have to be the most underwhelming and petulant pairing for the 2025 grid if it happened.
Old 11 Jun 2024, 06:33 (Ref:4212972)   #1024
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Ocon is managed by Toto Wolff and is more likely to accept a one year placeholder deal (until Antonelli) than Sainz. I have suspicion both Ocon and Russell can better handle a difficult oversteering car too, compared to Sainz who seems to struggle compared to Leclerc whenever the Ferrari has rear instability.

IMO Ocon is underrated and is pretty fast!

Also Ocon will drive for a tenner, whereas Sainz is probably chasing at least $12m p/a...

If Wolff doesn't back Ocon as:
- a driver he manages,
- a Grand Prix winner,
- a former Mercedes reserve driver, and
- consistently pushing to the limit and outqualifying Gasly by up to 4 tenths at the start of the season when the Alpine was a backmarker with difficult handling (great fighting spirit, much like Russell)

Then what even is the point!

Quote:
Ocon and Russell would have to be the most underwhelming and petulant pairing for the 2025 grid if it happened.
Ocon and Russell's maximum attack approach is what we like to see!

The Alpine may have been a overweight backmarker car, but Ocon pushed it to the limit and got it into Q2!

Russell had the sniff of a P6 in Australia and pushed it to the limit and threw it off the road but at least he tried!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 11 Jun 2024 at 06:42.
Old 11 Jun 2024, 11:33 (Ref:4212998)   #1025
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
made sure Gasly didn't have enough laps to get to him.