Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Mar 2001, 18:14 (Ref:71968)   #1
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought there was only Rockingham
Attached Thumbnails
tracks.jpg  
Old 17 Mar 2001, 18:30 (Ref:71971)   #2
Racer

****** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
these are all short track ovals for stock cars and hot rods etc. They are either shale or tarmac and vary in length but are generally quarter mile.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 23:16 (Ref:72058)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know how many of these are still going? I guess that's info from www.bmrc.co.uk and the Bolton track closed about 5 years ago - it's long since demolished and it the Rover Used Car Sales.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 10:09 (Ref:72216)   #4
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of them will be dirt tracks that they also race speedway on, places like Kings Lynn and Coventry I'd guess.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 10:21 (Ref:72227)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Long Eaton and, I think, Yarmouth have also gone. Not 100% sure about the rest though...
Old 19 Mar 2001, 18:59 (Ref:72756)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if anyones interested, there's a autograss oval planned in Hampshire, near the M3, quite near Fleet..

That's if the planning permission is all sorted out.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 20:42 (Ref:72828)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Really ? Where abouts ? Sounds promising!

Maybe the kart club could move up there from Blackbushe too ? They've had a hell of a lot of trouble in recent years from the locals, a purpose build facility would be an ideal solution.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 20:57 (Ref:72837)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You couldn't really class Bovingdon as an oval track.

It's a large, wide bit of dispersal concrete left over from an old B-17 airfield from the war. Last time I looked, the track is marked out with tractor tyres, chicken wire and a ditch.

Actually quite a substantial ditch....
Attached Thumbnails
bovmin.jpg  
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:03 (Ref:72843)   #9
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear, oh dear, don't let Sparky or Chris see that picture, those look distinctly like Minis
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:14 (Ref:72850)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Believe it or not, Tim, Spedeworth are actually promoting Bovingdon now! Don't think that means it's been upgraded at all though somehow!
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:19 (Ref:72854)   #11
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
Oh dear, oh dear, don't let Sparky or Chris see that picture, those look distinctly like Minis
Ooops. Too late
Old 19 Mar 2001, 21:27 (Ref:72857)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Is that *your* min in the piccie, CY ?!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 12:51 (Ref:73880)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new venue is at Winchfield, Hants. Right next to the M3.

First meeting is due 8 April - that's if it stops raining!!

No problems with F&M as the land is not agricultural apparently.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 11:46 (Ref:76503)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone mention Minis?

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Long Eaton and, I think, Yarmouth have also gone. Not 100% sure about the rest though...
Speaking to someone from Yarmouth last night, and it's still there, larger than life and includes a figure of eight to boot!! Sunday nights, 7:30pm - be there or be er... oval!

There are almost a hundred or so 'temporary' grass ovals in the UK. By that, I mean they could be torn down and ploughed over within a week, (!) but nevertheless, they are still oval motorsports venues - some of them established for ten years or more.

But the numbers are certainly dwindling...

Last edited by Sparky; 2 Apr 2001 at 11:48.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 16:55 (Ref:76600)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Is it really ? Bloody hell, they kept that one quiet!!

Methinks it's time for Sparky to start an Ipswich Spedeweekend topic in the Trackside forum...

Oh, and it's time for TimD to tell me where I can get that 'Mouldy Old Dough' ringtone for me mobile...!!
Old 2 Apr 2001, 17:07 (Ref:76607)   #16
Sparky
Veteran

D'you know... I can't remember the last Spedeweekend I went to?? I suspect the banger heats had an awful lot of A60 Oxord and Cambridges in them! Sorry Tim...

My, that was a long time ago...

I'll find out when this years Spedeweekend is...

..and start a thread!

You can read about it here... (Right at the bottom of the page)

http://www.stockcar.co.uk/main/fixtures.html

Last edited by Sparky; 2 Apr 2001 at 17:09.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 21:26 (Ref:76733)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Good detective work, sir! Can't see that topic though... If I get time i'll add some short oval dates to the events calendar

Incidently does anyone remember when we're going to Lydden ? Can't see that one either...
Old 4 Apr 2001, 14:29 (Ref:77284)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Sorry bloke! I've been a bit absent recently, haven't I?

Er... Sat 7th & Sun 8th of July is Ipswich National Hot rod & 2.0 Hot rod "Championship of the World" and Spede-weekend.

Unfortunately, this clashes with the Goodwood Festival of Speed. As much as the attraction of watching Sierras and Granadas self-destruct appeals, I think most of us will be at Sunny Goodwood that weekend, don't you?

There will be other opportunities, I think!
Old 4 Apr 2001, 20:28 (Ref:77439)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite a few of the tracks on the list are no longer used and you are right about Bovingdon. Spedeworth have widened it for 2001.
You puufs anyway, Goodwood, silly old blokes noncing around in million pound cars. Get yourself to Coventry or Northampton and watch 650+hp V8 Brisca F1's battling for supremacy
You will never see better racing, guaranteed. The best guys start at the back. And they are allowed to hit each other.
Seriously, those of us in the know are hoping that Rockingham will introduce people to oval racing a bit more. Believe it or not there is quite an art to driving round in circles
Old 5 Apr 2001, 16:23 (Ref:77783)   #20
Gerry Richards
Rookie

Gerry Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ovals of england

Stoke speedway track is still going strong. Also don't forget that Mallory Park is an oval in one format!
Old 17 Apr 2001, 16:19 (Ref:81600)   #21
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Do they have Midgets in the UK, like in the states? And I don't mean MG Midgets or short Frenchmans!
Old 1 May 2001, 20:36 (Ref:87687)   #22
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that midgets like from America, Canada and the Aussies have made it across to Europe. But, I bet the have a lesser class of Brisca F1s.

The midgets like those that race in America consist of 85 inch wheelbase (2159mm), under 800 pound 3.0 liter rocket cars for hard packed dirt oval. They do not use wings to generate downforce and are insanely quick on tracks all over North America.

Here are some pics I took at the Chili Bowl Nationals:

This is where Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon got their first success in professional racing.