Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Aug 2007, 23:07 (Ref:1998023)   #1
ronbros3
Rookie

ronbros3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one race per year,wide open

I think it would be great to have just one race per year, for closed wheel sports cars, where anything goes as long as the cars are full SAFE, and each year it would move ahead to the next track as an extra separate race in the program. MAN!! that would be great entertainment. any weight,any engine, NO restrictions.give the car builders a year to prepare.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1998030)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to Ten Tenths ronbros3!

You've touched on a separate topic that didn't fit with the P1/P2 discussion. So we can start a new discussion here on a 'run what you brung' race. Thanks.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1998765)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Bring back the fuel formula and open up the engine regs .....
Old 28 Aug 2007, 23:39 (Ref:1998822)   #4
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would be alot like the old CanAm days when the rules were few and the sportscars were faster than formula 1! Jim Hall's Chaparrals and the McLarens brought innovations to racing that are still used today such as wings and other ground effects treatments. The best drivers in the world came to North America to drive the most amazing sportscars of the day.

DK
Old 29 Aug 2007, 00:01 (Ref:1998834)   #5
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbros3
I think it would be great to have just one race per year, for closed wheel sports cars, where anything goes as long as the cars are full SAFE,
THis qualifier alone is impossible, but beyond that it would be most interesting at least for a year or two.
We would see who has cojones, and who does not.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 00:20 (Ref:1998844)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
THis qualifier alone is impossible, but beyond that it would be most interesting at least for a year or two.
We would see who has cojones, and who does not.
Oh come on Bob! I thought you of all people would have more to say on this subject.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 04:08 (Ref:1998901)   #7
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Oh come on Bob! I thought you of all people would have more to say on this subject.
No rules, means no rules. This would probably, and no onee knows, lead to cars that were all or nothing dependant on aero gimmicks, or lord only knows vacuum cleaners on four wheels.

Usually the early years of any new type racing is the best as it takes that long before the writing is on the wall for what works and what does not.

As I said the first two years would be rather intereting especially if it was massive tires and brute horsepower verses whizz kid specials for awhile.
Bob
Old 29 Aug 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1998944)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
In this day and age where everyone listens to the greenies ..... wouldnt the fuel formula (like group c) be relevant to this age ?

Set amount of fuel and build what kinda engine you want to , but you gotta manage the fuel .
Old 29 Aug 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1999048)   #9
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice idea in theory - but there would have to be "some" rules! Width of cars etc!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1999052)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
In this day and age where everyone listens to the greenies ..... wouldnt the fuel formula (like group c) be relevant to this age ?

Set amount of fuel and build what kinda engine you want to , but you gotta manage the fuel .
Come to mention it, a fuel formula would be a good idea - just have 40 litres per 100km rather than group C's 60. BUT only for factory teams, there needs to be a non-consumption option for privateers.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1999089)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

Maybe not a non-consumption option ..... give em a little more , maybe 5L ?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1999097)   #12
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If (and this is a very BIG if) this ever happened, I could see the popularity of this event being such that it would quickly develop into two and then three events, and eventually would become the Sports car championship.
Unfortunately we live in a “politically correct” and testosterone adverse world.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1999119)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

Yeah ..... and its crap !!!

You cant drive over the white line ..... only so many race meetings at certain tracks cuz of noise . Decibels are too high ..... ya cant have a fag in a pub !!!

Bring back the good old days I say ..... loud and proud !!!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1999172)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One race with no or minimal rules? Called Cannon Ball run.

or One Lap of America Presented by Car and Driver

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1999177)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You cant drive over the white line ..... only so many race meetings at certain tracks cuz of noise . Decibels are too high ..... ya cant have a fag in a pub !!!

careful with the wording and not even being Politically correct, which I never am.

Those words mean something else over here. Not a Cigarette in a pub or bar, but a homosexual encounter in the pubs or bars bathroom.

Now back to our regular thread.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1999181)   #16
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol, I was thinking the same thing when i read that... "Oh, THAT one's gonna get two different responses!"

pit
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1999201)   #17
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

...if you don't have deisel you cant (should'nt) win a race...etc.

The pendulum will eventually swing back. It has to. Life will just get too boring and lackluster.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1999221)   #18
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Come to mention it, a fuel formula would be a good idea - just have 40 litres per 100km rather than group C's 60. BUT only for factory teams, there needs to be a non-consumption option for privateers.
Go figure, a gent suggests an outlaw open race, and some want to reduce it to a glorified Mobil Economy Run. AcK pfFT.

Road America would be the best track, but Donnybrooke with its five thousand food straight and eighteen degree banked corner, would let them stretch their legs.
Maybe Cigar Afficionado magazine could sponsor the race.
Bob
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:42 (Ref:1999227)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

[QUOTE=AU N EGL]careful with the wording and not even being Politically correct, which I never am.QUOTE]

Crap ..... i forgot about that but , I am over here !!! sweetheart
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1999229)   #20
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sort of believe that the original poster's thought was that the teams running the regular ALMS or LMS schedule would bring their entries, as is, but remove all of the restrictions and maybe make a few modifications to things that could easily be set back as they were (e.g., wing height & width, car weight, fuel capacity, etc.). So, in effect, you would get a Corvette with 850-1000 hp running this "special" event against an unrestricted Audi R10, Porsche RS Spyder, etc. I doubt anyone would build a "unique" car for a single race. But letting the Audis, Porsches, Corvettes, etc. run to their full potential would kind of be fun. Basically a race with no "equalization".

DK
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:21 (Ref:1999249)   #21
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the most part Bentley built a couple of different cars for just one race, using Sebring as a test.

Anyway, as much as I would love to see a Can-Am or Formula 0 series it will probably never happen. At least not with humans in the car. It would also require special circuits to contain such wild machinery. Technology has just moved too far ahead.

First off, we are talking about 2,000 hp per liter. Secondly the g forces would aproach double digits, or maybe even dip into the 10s or 12s. This is all according to an article published in Popular Science about four years ago. These numbers are according to highly respected race engineers. The 2,000 hp per liter figure actually came from a Honda engineer. Plus, I imagine the cost would prohibit things to one race per year. It's fun to think about things like this though.

Back in the 67'-69' Barney Navarro built engines for Indy using a stock AMC straight six block and turbocharging. These engines produced 700hp. Then in 71'-72' the Porsche 917-30 was producing 1,500 hp they thought in qualifying trim from a turbocharged 5 liter V12 I believe. Then in 84' the BMW powered Brabham was a hp star. Producing 1,300+hp at 50lbs of boost from a 1.5 liter production based BMW four cylinder. Just imagine what a current front running formula 1 budget and modern technology could produce. Probably a 4,000 hp 2 liter V8 in a fully faired closed cockpit chassis weighing sub 1,000 pounds ready to race producing probably 8,000-10,000 lbs of downforce. I believe those are realistic numbers and that is insaninty. And. Will probably never happen.

On a plus side though, I believe with the current shift to green racing we will see the rules freed up a bit to entice the manufacturers to come test their new technology on the track. Much in the same way Group C did. Which evolved into GTP. Which produced some of the most amazing machinery ever. 1,000 hp, huge downforce all that stuff. These cars are still amazingly fast even in historic race trim. I'd love to see modern interpretations of these cars.

After all of this though, I think some others were right. I believe the guy just wants to see the current cars run without inlet restrictors and less weight. So do I.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1999250)   #22
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes ,it would start off like that, but it's success would be such that it would rapidly evolve into all that has been written here. (minus the fuel economy run and the fag in the pub)

Last edited by Spyderman; 29 Aug 2007 at 15:25.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:44 (Ref:1999266)   #23
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before I get corrected. That was a flat 12 in the Porsche not a V.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1999273)   #24
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Yes ,it would start off like that, but it's success would be such that it would rapidly evolve into all that has been written here. (minus the fuel economy run and the fag in the pub)
Bingo, all the fear of having to build special tracks, or little blown engines with a zillion horspower just does not play out.
A: IF they cannot race on the tracks that exist, they had better go back to the drawing board, or get a better driver.
B: Any car that makes the best compromise between durability, speed, and power will win. Something that has the best of the Audi, huge torque from the get-go, and Formula One, ability to produce horsepower at rpms above twenty thousand.
C: It would be great to see how it all panned out.
D: Too bad some billionaire is not a gear-head.

An outlaw IMSA race with existing cars would be great though, the Audi would no show as they would nto stand a chance, but those who did would put on a great show.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 29 Aug 2007 at 15:55.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1999285)   #25
TRuss
Veteran

The dedicated tracks would be needed more for the safety of spectactors and drivers. Remember, we are talking about huge top speeds and black out inducing cornering speeds. There is really no need in even worrying about this stuff. Unless you are into R/C hobbies and RPVs and UVAs and that stuff. Slot cars are pretty cool for a couple hours of fun. Well. Maybe an hour anyway.