Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Dec 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3870112)   #826
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Amen!
Old 14 Dec 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3870127)   #827
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Without Panoz IMSA - and therefor the current WeatherTech series - wouldn't be what it is now. For that reason alone, his cars should be eligible to participate in the series sanctioned by the organization he further developed built on the foundations laid by John Bishop and Bill France Sr. Why do you think Panoz is IMSA's Legacy Vice Chairman? To honor his legacy and his instrumental role in sportscar racing in North America, his cars should be in the series.
I also actually don't think they have any particular right to deny any GT4 homologated car to start with and the idea of letting in Panoz just highlights how unfair that is.

But actually...
The Dagys story quoted says that non-partner cars would be allowed to race but wouldn't be eligible for manufacturer points. But the technical regulations all the way back to 2017 which was the season after that story was posted state to be eligible the car has to come from a Manufacturer Partner. There seems to be some reason to believe it's not as expensive to be only a challenge series partner as IWSC given the details of the agreements aren't public, but one wonders if that wouldn't keep out the KTM/SIN/Ginetta "riff raff" by sheer economics anyways.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3870230)   #828
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
As with the big show (GTD), IMSA demands money from the manufacturers 'to play the game' in GS. As it is their series, they have every right to come up with whatever criteria for potential participants.

I, like you, wish they would just take the GT4 homologation list (and review non GT4 cars on an individual basis) and let all those cars participate if teams/drivers wish to do so. But that's not how IMSA (Nascar) runs their business.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3870261)   #829
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
I'm glad they don't let the "boutique" GT4 cars into the IMSA series. I think it's probably the single worst aspect of PWC from a competitors view. The cars are simply too different than the "standard" GT4 cars and no series has the resources or ability to balance them properly.

I get how it's not as interesting from a fans perspective, but for me it's a deal breaker for competition.

-mike
Old 14 Dec 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3870305)   #830
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I'm glad they don't let the "boutique" GT4 cars into the IMSA series. I think it's probably the single worst aspect of PWC from a competitors view. The cars are simply too different than the "standard" GT4 cars and no series has the resources or ability to balance them properly.

I get how it's not as interesting from a fans perspective, but for me it's a deal breaker for competition.

-mike
It has to be confusing as a racer, I mean it's this weird goofy looking car and it might distract you from the task at hand.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3870342)   #831
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
According to Racer, PR1 and Performance Tech are close to fielding programs. Although nothing concrete, they have at least been able to quote team owners to show that it's not just blowing smoke, so four full-time LMP2s are now a real possibility with a rumor floating that Dragonspeed may enter one of theirs full-time as well.

Hopefully all goes well for PR1 and PT and the rumor ends up having some meat to it.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 01:05 (Ref:3870383)   #832
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Some video from the December Michelin Tire test at Daytona thanks to KTrain2787.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed777_5xSTQ
Old 15 Dec 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3870384)   #833
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I also actually don't think they have any particular right to deny any GT4 homologated car to start with and the idea of letting in Panoz just highlights how unfair that is.
So, if you ran the show and let them in I would be correct in saying you don't have any particular right to do so? Hmmmm....?
Life isn't "fair"...

Quote:
As with the big show (GTD), IMSA demands money from the manufacturers 'to play the game' in GS. As it is their series, they have every right to come up with whatever criteria for potential participants.
Eggzackly.

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3870388)   #834
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
According to Racer, PR1 and Performance Tech are close to fielding programs. Although nothing concrete, they have at least been able to quote team owners to show that it's not just blowing smoke, so four full-time LMP2s are now a real possibility with a rumor floating that Dragonspeed may enter one of theirs full-time as well.

Hopefully all goes well for PR1 and PT and the rumor ends up having some meat to it.
I only count 2 (PR1 and PT one each), who are the other two?

Last edited by Coach Ep; 15 Dec 2018 at 02:27.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 05:30 (Ref:3870406)   #835
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
I only count 2 (PR1 and PT one each), who are the other two?

You are correct. I was looking at an improperly updated chart when I made those statements and did not notice it's quite obvious error - namely, that it still listed JDC as an LMP2 entrant.

My bad.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3870534)   #836
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Yeee! My local team is entered for the entire IMSA GTD season by confirming Bull Auberlen as the primary driver. The team will also be fielding a GS entry in the Pilot Challenge with an M4.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/a...pp9gd2I-6ZPyGw

http://tmsracing.com/turner-doubles-...neups-secured/
I should probably be shot for asking, but who is the winningest sports car driver in N. Amercan history? Best to Auberlen on his goal
Old 15 Dec 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3870537)   #837
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I should probably be shot for asking, but who is the winningest sports car driver in N. Amercan history? Best to Auberlen on his goal
Scott Pruett
Old 15 Dec 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3870544)   #838
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
" “Why don’t you add the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge to the list?” Auberlen added. “I’ve got quite a few wins on that side, also.”

Auberlen’s 17 victories in combined Street Stock competition would make him first on a combined list with 70 triumphs, followed by Pruett with 59 and Terry Borcheller with 52. "

from: https://www.imsa.com/bmw-duo-chasing...er-wins-record.

Indeed. Who determines what series/races count?

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3870560)   #839
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Scott Pruett
I didn't shoot myself, but I did clunk myself in the head. I should have guessed that.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3870575)   #840
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I didn't shoot myself, but I did clunk myself in the head. I should have guessed that.
Yeah, me too. I was thinkin' maybe EFR or John Morton, but I'm sure I was just influenced by how long they drove, not number of wins.

Again, are Auberlen's other 17 any less important than Pruett's many in GTO and the Trans Am? They're part of Pruett's total so why not Auberlen's other accomplishments?
Aaaaahhhh...those evil politics....

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2018, 22:44 (Ref:3870589)   #841
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Also in the article, Spirit of Daytona is set to announce their 2019 plans soon. Not sure what that means. they have run a Riley, Ligier, and Caddy thus far, is a P2 return in the works? or did they find support for the Caddy?
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...-for-rolex-24/

Not a word about the Caddy so I'm assuming SoD doesn't own the replacement chassis they utilized after Sebring. Wondering if they still own the Riley, could we see them roll it out for the Rolex or somewhere else for a one-off?

Last edited by Coach Ep; 15 Dec 2018 at 22:55. Reason: Sebring last year = 2018.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3870597)   #842
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...-for-rolex-24/

Not a word about the Caddy so I'm assuming SoD doesn't own the replacement chassis they utilized after Sebring. Wondering if they still own the Riley, could we see them roll it out for the Rolex or somewhere else for a one-off?
guess SoD should pick one former JDC - core orecas to get a complete lmp2 experience
Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3870685)   #843
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Scott Pruett
Hi to his family at home
Old 16 Dec 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3870701)   #844
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Hi to his family at home

I hope Auberlel is practicing saying that whem he takes the record.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3870731)   #845
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I hope Auberlel is practicing saying that whem he takes the record.
He totally should say Hi to Scott's family with the next win!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3870746)   #846
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or hi to Scott at home
Old 17 Dec 2018, 04:03 (Ref:3870760)   #847
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ricardo Juncos said that with the Michelin tyres, car are doing same lap times in practice than the qualification times of last year.

A video from Canapino at the wheel of the Juncos Cadillac at night. I think following the WTR caddy.

https://twitter.com/AgustinCanapino/...06038174224385
Old 17 Dec 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3870869)   #848
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
After a news fury last week. My theory for Daytona grid right now looks like this:

Prototype - 16 cars

Penske Acura DPI #6
Penske Acura DPI #7
Joest Mazda DPI #55
Joest Mazda DPI #70
Action Express Cadillac #5
Action Express Cadillac #31
WTR Cadillac #10
JDC Cadillac #84
JDC Cadillac #85
Juncos Cadillac #50
CORE Nissan #54
PR1 Oreca 07 #52 LMP2
Performance Tech #38 LMP2
DragonSpeed Oreca 07 LMP2, Daytona only
DragonSpeed Oreca 07 LMP2, Daytona only
RLR MSport Ligier LMP2, Daytona only

GTLM

Same 9 cars as 2018.

GTD

Not sure exactly. Ideal grid size would be about 20 cars. No more than that. So we can get an overall field of 45 cars. The 2018 race showed its a good size considering we got just 4 safety car periods and I think you can argue 2 of them were not needed as it was for stalled cars that were off the line.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3870874)   #849
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Ricardo Juncos said that with the Michelin tyres, car are doing same lap times in practice than the qualification times of last year.

A video from Canapino at the wheel of the Juncos Cadillac at night. I think following the WTR caddy.

https://twitter.com/AgustinCanapino/...06038174224385
If that is true that the test times are the same as the qual times from last year the track record at Daytona for DPi's is going to be smashed (2-3 seconds quicker?). What I'm more interested in is what the drop off during a run has been if there is any at all?
Old 17 Dec 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3870908)   #850
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Keep in mind, the Continentals that were used in both Prototype and GTD at Daytona and Watkins Glen the last few years were the much harder compound (because of the loads/failures). The difference between those "speedway" Continentals and the Michelins is much larger than the difference between the Continental "sprint" tire and the standard Michelins.

My understanding is Michelin is going to have 2 compounds available (dictated by them/IMSA, not the teams.. they don't get a choice) based on the estimated ambient temps. They have a "hot weather" tire and a "cooler weather" tire.

Talking with some of the GTD drivers the Michelins have a much quicker/steeper drop-off in terms of grip/time but that's to be expected from a normal racing slick. It should have an interesting effect on the strategy/race pace of the GTD and Prototypes. The Continental was very hard/conservative which made for less of a drop off.

-mike