Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go India

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...7/11/7095.html

2010 it will be.

On a track designed by... god I hope not!
Old 16 Nov 2007, 01:56 (Ref:2068519)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I will be so get used to it..
Old 16 Nov 2007, 08:22 (Ref:2068631)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phew.

For a minute there I thought someone was about to declare support for Farce India .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Nov 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2068895)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...7/11/7095.html

2010 it will be.

On a track designed by... god I hope not!
Tilke has designed a few good tracks - its just that the cars are so aero heavy that they can't overtake properly. Wait for the 2009 aero rules to come into effect.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 16 Nov 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2068897)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just hoping it will be a wonderful track.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 15:40 (Ref:2068943)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I shall refuse to watch this race.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 15:42 (Ref:2068945)   #7
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the grounds of...?
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 16 Nov 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2068959)   #8
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What he did to Hockheinheim was absolute profanity. Apart from that he is an excellent designer IMO. Some of his corners like the 3-apex Turn 8 in Istanbul are already legendary despite being around for only a few years. Getting Turn 7-8 flat out or choosing the best line at at Turn 11 in Malaysia can be also tricky as hell, basicaly he makes sure that each of his tracks represent some great challenge. He also makes sure they are wide enough and involve extra long straights (usually two of them at each track) with hard breaking points at the end. So I think (like johntt pointed out) that we can only blame FIA's aero regulations (or the lack of them) for the relatively little overtaking in F1
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:08 (Ref:2068969)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Phew.

For a minute there I thought someone was about to declare support for Farce India .
that would only be true if i started this thread

as for the race and track, in classic Indian political fashion the Indian Olympic Association, who were once thought to be the group in charge of the planning for this, are now claiming they have no idea about this new deal. link here. so sadly im guessing its back to wait and see if it happens or not.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:29 (Ref:2068985)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
On the grounds of...?
It will be a manufactured GP at the expense of the true home of F1 = europe ...and great european grand prix.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2068997)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Why does Europe have to be the true home of F1? This is supposed to be a world championship. And Europe has plenty of races already, not all of which are what you could call a visual delight...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:56 (Ref:2069000)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See where you are coming from Luke, by why doesn't India deserve a race? There are now Indians investing in Formula One, there has been an Indian Formula One driver, plus there are over 1 billion of them....
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2069002)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
It will be a manufactured GP at the expense of the true home of F1 = europe ...and great european grand prix.
What!?! Every Grand Prix is manufactured. It has to be organised. India and Asia are massive growing markets. Formula for Success on BBC World gives a great insight into this. If F1 doesnt keep up with the times and exploit new growing markets, then it will suffer. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2069005)   #14
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Its a WORLD championship so its only right to involve more than one continent.

Besides, the 1950 calendar involved 1, the 1953 one involved two races overseas. The second ever Formula1 GP was won by an Argentian.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:16 (Ref:2069025)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Do you watch only 10 GP's every season then.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2069027)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
India maybe F1 crazy now, but they weren't before. The country is being manufactured and converted into F1 fans, just as most of are from the Asian area where F1 has dipped into lately. 10 or even 20 years a go it would be crazy to have races there and I don't like to see races in Europe dropped for races to be converted and created for far too much money in new areas previously irrelevant to motorsport or F1 before. (the desert race says it all) before invisible to F1 mainly with governments etc giving ludicrous money to host the races and more Euro races going as a result.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2069029)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Oh everyone is attacking me, sorry I have an opinion on the current direction of Formula 1.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:23 (Ref:2069034)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think anybody is "attacking" anybody else. The point that this is a world championship that already visits a number of countries outside Europe is a perfectly fair one. "Because it will take a race away from Europe" isn't a good argument against holding a race in India.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:25 (Ref:2069037)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No luke, I can guarantee you will watch it. Don't be facetious.

*bookmarks thread*

Well, I certainly hope it will be a good track but I don't hold out any hope on that front.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 17:26 (Ref:2069040)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's wait for the track design. (Which im sure will be dull but still). I am perfectly fine having races in Turkey which has a good track eventhough it isn't traditionally the 'home of motorsport'.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2069174)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now that there's "Force India" in F1, why not a race there ?

I reckon is a tough force to be against...
Old 17 Nov 2007, 10:50 (Ref:2069458)   #22
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luke I reckon you are a bit off the mark, we have more races to fit the new venues, your logic doesn't really stack up.
Personally I would prefer us to have (say) 20 races with a lot less testing. And those extra couple probably woldn't be in Europe, Africa is some where that should have a race, if we want to call it a World championship.
Limiting a World any thing you a couple of countries (or even one) smacks of Americanism to me Baseball, Basketball, Gridiron, Pro Wrestling and what ever.
No, the Subcontinent is a very worthy addition to the Calender.

But, the key point still is: get the track right! Our mate Herman seems to do a few good corners here and there, but please, use the change in elevation, don't do something like China, which appears to be rolling, but that is only the straights! The corners all appear to be flat! WRONG WRONG WRONG All of the best tracks in the world have altitude changes during weight transfer... coincidence, yeah right.

Bononi, your latest Avatar is almost disturbing, it look like a scan from the joy of sex!
Old 17 Nov 2007, 11:33 (Ref:2069486)   #23
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want an interesting track in India?

How about a street circuit around the old part of Bombay! (or whatever they call it now)

Seriously though, these new tracks are so wide they make the cars look like MatchBox Cars, and have zip character. Thats the only thing that worries me.

Apart from that yes there should be 20 races, at least one on every continent of the world, except Antarticia, less testing, and here goes..... probably only 8 in western Europe including the UK. If that was to happen they just need to put those 8 on the tracks that deserve them.

Remember in the early days there was only about half a dozen GP's a year, so eight is an improvement!