Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2872442)   #1
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 360.To all who said they would and didn't. You missed a great event.

I said it last year and i say it again.

Shame on you if you knocked it or said you would turn up and did,nt.

Where were all those promised Gulf liveried vehicles. Those that were there were fabulous.

What a terrific, varied and huge display of historic, classic, race and rally cars and drivers put on by FORC.

What great racing, and the weather. God is one mighty supporter of this event.

Let no one ever knock the 360 club and this meeting ever again.

Claire, John and everyone. Fantastic, even better than last year.

Roll on 2012.

GT.
Old 1 May 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2872443)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Where were all those promised Gulf liveried vehicles. Those that were there were fabulous.
Apparently a lot of them got trapped when the M11 was closed off due to a fatal road accident.
Old 1 May 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2872445)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
In defence of those who may have promised support, there was a horrific accident on the M11 which would have affected anyone coming from the south.
Old 1 May 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2872450)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>Roll on 2012.

Seconded, and hopefully my team will be ready for it It was always going to be difficult when the date was announced as April, but we're progressing and have taken a lot of ideas from my industrial espionage, with all three 924s so close
Old 1 May 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2872494)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
I said it last year and i say it again.

Shame on you if you knocked it or said you would turn up and did,nt.

What a terrific, varied and huge display of historic, classic, race and rally cars and drivers put on by FORC.

What great racing, and the weather. God is one mighty supporter of this event.

Let no one ever knock the 360 club and this meeting ever again.

Claire, John and everyone. Fantastic, even better than last year.

Roll on 2012.

GT.
be careful to not sound too virtuous - I m sure many who said they would come had valid reasons for not attending. I paid £500 in good faith that I would be able to race in the support race but sadly my engine rebuild was not finished in time - I feel no shame merely disappointment.
Old 1 May 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2872510)   #6
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simon,

Forgive me for not making my gripe more specific and i do fully appreciate your dilemma and that of some others. My comments were not meant for the really legitimate absentees. Sorry.

Tim,

I know about the accident and it was me that was telling you about it in the afternoon. My daughter, fiance and friend were caught up by it but still managed to get to the circuit before the sprint race, so, as the others should have been there early enough also, alternative routes could have been found. After all, it did happen very early in the morning, 2 am, i believe.
If the commitment is there, dozens of alternative routes are available, and not everyone would need to use the M11 anyway.

All the FORC cars turned up.....!!!
Old 2 May 2011, 06:29 (Ref:2872727)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a truly marvellous event considering it was only started last year from small beginnings.

The FORC parade and turnout was excellent. If it were a two day affair then we'd all have time to view the displays and chat to the owners. Ok, the Gulf display was small but I'm sure, as Tim says, people heard about the M11 and decided it would be better to save the trip for another day. That siad those that did turn up had some fun and brought along a lovely Aston Martin, plus of course those VW buses.

Like Simon we had an engine problem with the MG so could not run in the sprint race. Hey ho, we still had fun in the 6hrs.
Old 2 May 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2872749)   #8
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Right I will say my piece on this

Firstly the M11 was shut for somewhere in the region of 12 hours from 2.30 in the morning until 2.30 in the afternoon. I have had a couple of e mails from people who were traveling from the south and south west, checked the travel situation and decided against the prospect of sitting in traffic for several hours and quite frankly, I would have done the same. If i'm not from round here, im not going to know the shortcuts etc. Its not that I'm very forgiving, its just Im a realist and remember all we were offering was a chance to be part of the unknown and I accept that. This part of the proceedings were not as with FORC via a central point, it wasnt a club of GULF members, it was just an invitation to bring along a car that was in GULF colours. The guy that turned up late for the Gulf briefing had sat in traffic for THREE HOURS and he was only 90 miles away...Cornwall is a lot further and I for one would think "mmmmaybe not"

I thank all who managed to come, we will see about making it an annual thing and it may well grow...remember...we only had 8 cars on the grid last year for the 360 that doubled....you never know!!!......and just to confirm I AM ON BEHALF OF THE PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE AND THE 360 MOTOR RACING CLUB CLAIMING THE RECORD FOR THE MOST GULF COLOURED VEHICLES PARADED AT ANY TIME IN THE WORLD...prove me wrong thats what I say.

ta
Claire
Old 2 May 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2872763)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
In defence of people that expressed an interest and didnt make it I am sure many excuses are valid I know mine was even if I would rather not discuss it here as I did intend to originally do the 6hrs in the Mexico with the Ryan's. A compromise for me was to be able to do the WBS but as that didnt take so much forward planning was doable. Even Max MidgetMan I am certain sure was committed but couldnt get the car ready in time.
Old 2 May 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2872813)   #10
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least one Gulf liveried car was at Goodwood Supercar Sunday

Old 2 May 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2872815)   #11
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
Make that two

Old 2 May 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2872960)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Fake cars in at a fake event at the posers paradise when the proper people were at Snetterton.
Old 2 May 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2872973)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Even Max MidgetMan I am certain sure was committed but couldnt get the car ready in time.
And in my own defence I *was* there in a borrowed road car and a tent, even though a work commitment on the Sunday prevented me staying for the presentations.

Can we say "circumstances" conspired against me rather than couldn't get the car ready in time (i.e. the guy who reckoned he had sponsorship to pay for it was wrong )

I know what GT917 means, but I think he's being a bit harsh. Many people express support for something but when it comes to doing it, "life" gets in the way. We all have families, jobs, external pressures. I can't blame anyone for not making the race, and I bet they're watching with interest, waiting for car/time/money to come right.

Hopefully I can make it for 2012, but if not I'll be there again as a supporter casting my hex on someone else's efforts having voodoo-ed MGDavid this time round
Old 2 May 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2872975)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
...... but if not I'll be there again as a supporter casting my hex on someone else's efforts having voodoo-ed MGDavid this time round
I and a few of my acquaintances seem to have similar effects. Maybe we could form a team and sell our appearance/non-appearance to the highest bidder ...

Old 2 May 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2872976)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Fake cars in at a fake event at the posers paradise when the proper people were at Snetterton.
Grumpy as ever John
Old 2 May 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2872985)   #16
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
True in the case of these cars.

There were however a number of original motors there, so well worth a trip to my nearest circuit.
Old 2 May 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2873004)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is perhaps better to discuss these things in the main thread os this one is locked. However, multiple threads on one event demonstrates the high level of enthusiasm.