Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Apr 2016, 19:15 (Ref:3637195)   #1
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The future of GT3 in Europe

I know there's a GT3 manufacturer topic but I figure this is a slightly different conversation.

With GT3 booming worldwide, there seems to be so many options now, with even other joining, to run your GT3 car. However the GT Open mustered 14 or so cars for its opening round, The French GT Tour managed even less when it usually does so well, and the new project by the ACO, LM GT3 Cup looks set to start in single figures.

To add to that, SRO and Ratel recently announced a new French GT3 based series for next year (pending FFSA rejecting a merger attempt).

So surely there is going to be a point where there is just too many options for you to run your GT3, resulting in low grids in everything but Blancpain, ADAC GT, and British GT.

I'm curious as to what people think the solution is to this?

Personally, I see a theoretical hierarchy in Europe, with Blancpain being the GT3 big time, with only 1 secondary series (eg merge GT Open and GT3 LM Cup), then at the bottom of this table, the national series of Britain, Germany, France and Italy.

I also think the British GT model of GT3/GT4 mixed races could really help boost things like the French GT series, and personally I enjoy the sight of GT3s lapping GT4s.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3637199)   #2
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Look at the VLN series, plenty of GT3's there. I think the SRO backed series' are where it's at and that's where the bigger named teams want to play. So maybe if it gets too competitive over there or they start to limit entries, the lesser regional series will pick up?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3637204)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I know there's a GT3 manufacturer topic but I figure this is a slightly different conversation.

With GT3 booming worldwide, there seems to be so many options now, with even other joining, to run your GT3 car. However the GT Open mustered 14 or so cars for its opening round, The French GT Tour managed even less when it usually does so well, and the new project by the ACO, LM GT3 Cup looks set to start in single figures.
French GT has been in trouble for at least the last two years, with grids usually in the mid-teens.

Quote:
To add to that, SRO and Ratel recently announced a new French GT3 based series for next year (pending FFSA rejecting a merger attempt).

So surely there is going to be a point where there is just too many options for you to run your GT3, resulting in low grids in everything but Blancpain, ADAC GT, and British GT.

Personally, I see a theoretical hierarchy in Europe, with Blancpain being the GT3 big time, with only 1 secondary series (eg merge GT Open and GT3 LM Cup), then at the bottom of this table, the national series of Britain, Germany, France and Italy.
The national series are nowhere near 'the bottom', especially ADAC GT is right up there with Blancpain in terms of grid size and professionality and with many teams actually combining national and international programs. I think a good analogy is football/soccer, where you have national series and the Champions League, both contested by very high level teams, at least near the pointy end.

Also, don't forget things like the Creventic Endurance series and GT3s filtering down into actual Clubsport competition these days.

Quote:
I also think the British GT model of GT3/GT4 mixed races could really help boost things like the French GT series, and personally I enjoy the sight of GT3s lapping GT4s.

Thoughts?
Agreed, I do like multiclass-racing. That being said, GT4 isn't the only option - Italy has done fairly well for themselves with a mixed Cup-class for Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos.
Not sure French GT in its current guise can be helped, though. More than anything, they probably need a thorough reboot under new management... the technical regs are probably secondary as long as potential customers regain their trust in the series - so a Ratel take-over might actually work very well, especially since he's also hinted at a mixed GT3/GT4 or potentially a GT4-only series for his new project.

Finally: The big four manufacturers (Audi, Lambo, Porsche, Merc) must've sold well over a 100 cars over the off-season and people will want to make use of those. I don't see any threat to GT3 in the immediate future. Even if all manufacturers lost interest in the class tomorrow (and fat chance of that with overall wins at Spa and the N24 on the line) there are so many new cars around right now that the show would probably go on for another three or for years. I thought quite differently a few years ago, but right now I don't see GT3 getting into any kind of big trouble before the end of the decade.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3637206)   #4
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Look at the VLN series, plenty of GT3's there. I think the SRO backed series' are where it's at and that's where the bigger named teams want to play. So maybe if it gets too competitive over there or they start to limit entries, the lesser regional series will pick up?

I actually think the national series bar French gt are in good form. It's Gt Open, and GT3 LM Cup that seem to be unnecessary middle ground series.

Maybe your right, Blancpain fills up and it could encourage the smaller series
Old 30 Apr 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3637360)   #5
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To some extent I almost wish we had that problem on this side of the pond
Old 30 Apr 2016, 17:04 (Ref:3637362)   #6
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

Thoughts?

Thoughts on future of GT3: Pretty darn good!
Old 30 Apr 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3637371)   #7
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
until buying and maintenance costs will remain much lower than GTLM, GT3 will be the perfect playground for private and semi-work teams. Long life to GT3 (unfortunately maybe)
Old 30 Apr 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3637406)   #8
Bcarr6
Veteran

Totally agree with all that GT3 is in fine form, it is my favourite form of racing too so enjoy its success.

I just wonder if there is too many series for the amount of cars running.

I wonder why the GT Open package seems to struggle so much, it's always been good consistently exciting racing. Never seems to have controversial rulings, or big changes that could upset teams.

I guess the European teams of merit just see the Blancpain as a more appealing package, and with no limit on Blanpain entries, there's no one left disappointed taking to alternative series.