Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2366259)   #26
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
NORWICH - (K)nickers Off Ready When I Come Home.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2366260)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Sorry Terrance im bored.Its to cold even for me out in the workshop.Mrs Delta just given me a b-----ing for bringing in some pistons and fitting rings on the kitchen table.
They must have been extremely large rings!
Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2366266)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Not if they're on the legs...
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2366290)   #29
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Peter this will impress you. I am currentley reading the history of the Capri.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2366301)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont belive anything you read in motoring books Iain,they are all wrong.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2366309)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I know someone who was so in love with Capri's he called his first born daughter Capri!
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2366323)   #32
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
She'd better not marry Leonardo di Caprio.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2366337)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hey Peter this will impress you. I am currentley reading the history of the Capri.
Jeremy Walton?

If so you also need to get hold of the homologation cert to see what they really did with the "Colognes".

Have you found out the difference between a Broadspeed and a Cologne yet?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2366338)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear, i called my Daughter Alexsis. She hates me for it. Luckily that was her second christian name.Ive still got the car and keep telling her to sell the horse and race the F Ford.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2366339)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thats the one Peter, Only up to the 4 wheel drive chapter. Getting very excited though.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2366340)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Capri history, didn't Gracie Fields live there !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2366364)   #37
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Two from decades past:

LOMBARD = Loads Of Money But A Right D**kh**d.

BURMA = Be Undressed and Ready My Angel.

At my age the second of these no longer applies but whilst it may be decades old LOMBARD is as true today of some people in historic racing as if it had only been thought up yesterday.

Regretably neither Delta or I have any money left so it cannot apply to us!
Old 6 Jan 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2366615)   #38
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few more...

One particularly relevant for me:

ORCHID - One recent child, heavily in debt

Motorsport-relevant?:

SABU - Self-adjusting balls-up

SINOAP - Solution In Need Of A Problem. i.e. any pointlessly over-engineered item or service for which no real or meaningful demand exists.

ESO - Equipment Superior to Operator. Could sum up quite a few of us on here...!

I have to say that when it comes to acronyms and slang, though, Doctors have the choicest ones. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_slang

I particularly liked TTFO.

James

James

Last edited by SZRacer; 6 Jan 2009 at 21:34.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2366637)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
All this reminds me of a book ive got on motor racing jargon. Such as "Harry flatters" and Tramping on. Just found the book. Never heard of this one. "wagging the tail of the dog" Answers please.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2366670)   #40
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall that many years ago , there was a car called a FUBAR that raced in 750MC meetings ( F1300 ? F4 ? F1300 ? ) . Upon interrogation , the proprietor of this particular vehicle proferred the suggestion that it stood for Finishes Up Behind All ( the ) Rest ; but we know differently , don't we , my little cherubs ?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2367092)   #41
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All this reminds me of a book ive got on motor racing jargon. Such as "Harry flatters" and Tramping on. Just found the book. Never heard of this one. "wagging the tail of the dog" Answers please.
It was the caption on a photo in a book I got as a child (BP Motor Racing 1959 or so?) which showed a Cooper going a corner sideways, have to go home and look it up but i NEED TO WORK!!!

Marcus
Old 7 Jan 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2367160)   #42
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then there's TWR - The Wrong Rockers .
Old 7 Jan 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2367301)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
Its always been Third World Racing to most in the know
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2367303)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Times up." Waging the tail of the dog " Driver-induced oversteer to slide car around corners.Not sure who's interested but that's one i did not know.Just browsing back through the book and they mention Charterhall race track. Anyone been or raced there.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2367345)   #45
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Then there's AAAAAA.

Associate of the Assembly for the Abolition of Absolutely Awful Acronyms.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2367349)   #46
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
Wasn't this something to do with the Rover touring cars being caught out with Volvo rockers. ?,
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2367352)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Times up." Waging the tail of the dog " Driver-induced oversteer to slide car around corners.Not sure who's interested but that's one i did not know.Just browsing back through the book and they mention Charterhall race track. Anyone been or raced there.
Its listed in an old book I have about race circuits. It was near Kelso in Scotland and like a lot of circuits was an old airfield.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Jan 2009 at 22:44.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2368743)   #48
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Come on then whats JFDI.See the Siverstone classic thread.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2368745)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
JFDI Just Focus and Do It
JFDI Just Freakin' Do It (polite form)
Old 10 Jan 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2368761)   #50
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
JFDI Just Focus and Do It
That'll be the Ford version then.