Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Apr 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2673623)   #26
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
If we are to believe this press release, the Norma is in the final stages of assembly, so we might see it at Spa before Le Mans.
Old 4 May 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2684301)   #27
Just-Right
Rookie

Just-Right should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Norma Judd M200

See the link

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...VARnewsID=4290
Old 4 May 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2684304)   #28
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks very "normal" and not any big revolutions in design!
But looks good!, a good delivery on that would make a fine looking car!
Old 4 May 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2684320)   #29
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder if they will run on the Dunlops it is wearing?

L.P.
Old 4 May 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2684368)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It looks very unprepared for a 24 hour sprint !!!

Sadly , very little faith from my side for this LM effort .
Old 4 May 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2684385)   #31
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought they were building a coupe? Mariantic had some computer generated images of a red M200 that was closed top. Regardless, the actual car looks much nice than the rendering of the coupe.
Old 4 May 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2684456)   #32
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
It looks very unprepared for a 24 hour sprint !!!

Sadly , very little faith from my side for this LM effort .
New cars are going to have teething problems, especially if the manufacturer is new to the category. But it does have a Judd in it, and that is a pretty solid lump, so that is at least 1 variable you don't have to worry about.
Old 4 May 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2684469)   #33
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't blame a small manufacturer like Norma for choosing an open top, surely it's much less to worry about designing/building.
Old 4 May 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2684492)   #34
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
New cars are going to have teething problems, especially if the manufacturer is new to the category. But it does have a Judd in it, and that is a pretty solid lump, so that is at least 1 variable you don't have to worry about.
I forsee a host of issues , purely because of lack of track time .

Marrying it up to a gearbox , cooling , suspension and aero . Its just too new for Le Mans .
Old 4 May 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2684532)   #35
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I forsee a host of issues , purely because of lack of track time .

Marrying it up to a gearbox , cooling , suspension and aero . Its just too new for Le Mans .
That may be true. Wish they had the car prior to the start of the LMS season so they could have run it a bit.
Old 5 May 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2684864)   #36
The Badger
Veteran

That Im sure was the idea .

But comon ..... lets be honest . For a chassis to do a half reasonable job it should have a lot of testing and development done prior to Le Mans . Unlessof course , you happen to be McLaren or some other factory or factory backed team ..... and they usually teast the head off it also .

I dont mean to take away from their efforts , but , I honestly cant see anything good (at Le Mans) coming from this effort at all .

How many proper efforts have sailed onto the rocks at Le Mans within the first hour , even with a proper R&D progamme behind them ?
Old 5 May 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2684946)   #37
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That Im sure was the idea .

But comon ..... lets be honest . For a chassis to do a half reasonable job it should have a lot of testing and development done prior to Le Mans . Unlessof course , you happen to be McLaren or some other factory or factory backed team ..... and they usually teast the head off it also .

I dont mean to take away from their efforts , but , I honestly cant see anything good (at Le Mans) coming from this effort at all .

How many proper efforts have sailed onto the rocks at Le Mans within the first hour , even with a proper R&D progamme behind them ?
Yeah, but c'mon, you have to start somewhere, and if they where able to get the car "ready" for Le Mans, why not let them race, when the reserve list is low on really good entries?
Old 6 May 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2685412)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

Start somewhere I agree , but not at the worlds biggest sportscar race , and 24 hours to boot .

For example ..... why was KSM for example , so far down the entry list , at least its a well proven chassis they have .

We also dont know exactly who was refused an entry for a start .

You said "if" ..... thats my worry .

Im the ACO's own words ..... selection will be chosen on Pedigree amongst other things . Now , where is the pedigree ?

Again .... dont get me wrong , and Im not slating them , just feel that its a bit much to expect from a stonking new chassis-engine-gearbox combo , with no testing behind it .

Reminds me of the last BRM effort . Even Oreca/Reynard had a bad start , one chassis out on lap 1 ..... and that was Oreca .
Old 6 May 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2685415)   #39
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Let's not forget, we are talking about the French here, and French logic can, at times, be... rather questionable.

People who were refused an entry? I'd think about several WR entries under various Welter names, teams running Lucchinis, Giovanni Lavaggi...
Old 6 May 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2685434)   #40
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Start somewhere I agree , but not at the worlds biggest sportscar race , and 24 hours to boot .

For example ..... why was KSM for example , so far down the entry list , at least its a well proven chassis they have .

We also dont know exactly who was refused an entry for a start .

You said "if" ..... thats my worry .

Im the ACO's own words ..... selection will be chosen on Pedigree amongst other things . Now , where is the pedigree ?

Again .... dont get me wrong , and Im not slating them , just feel that its a bit much to expect from a stonking new chassis-engine-gearbox combo , with no testing behind it .

Reminds me of the last BRM effort . Even Oreca/Reynard had a bad start , one chassis out on lap 1 ..... and that was Oreca .
It's a pretty big risk letting them race, as they might do a JLOC! (This should be a term )
But if the rumors about Pescarolo are true, then KSM is in, and there is no one else on the Prototype Reserve list.
Of Course at Le Mans, it seems unprofessional by the ACO to let a car that new race, but i welcome them as there seems to be no real replacement?.
Has there ever been published a "rejection list"?.

But a fact is that ACO seems to allow 1 or 2 "crazy" entries per year. Dome both last year and this year was crazy in the way that it was entered by small unknown teams which hadn't even tested the already build car. And perhaps this is a part of the Le Mans spirit, where small teams with questionable material fight for completing the 24hours, and doing there best with a margin of a budget of the bigger teams.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2685505)   #41
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isnt this what Le Mans 24hr racing is all about? I know we have the factory teams, who will undoubtedly win overall, and we have the privateer who against all the odds manages to race for 24hrs to finish, a true endurance effort.

Good luck to em!

Or is this just a "British" thing?
Old 6 May 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2685547)   #42
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Isnt this what Le Mans 24hr racing is all about? I know we have the factory teams, who will undoubtedly win overall, and we have the privateer who against all the odds manages to race for 24hrs to finish, a true endurance effort.

Good luck to em!

Or is this just a "British" thing?
No, I do not believe it to be just a "British" thing!

L.P.
Old 7 May 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2685722)   #43
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not like they are completely in-experienced. Norma has produced chassis before and Pegasus has been running a semi-successful team for several years now. They have a reputation of finishing events, even if they are usually not the fastest.

I am 'hopeful' they will be more than just another Jloc.

dh
Old 7 May 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2685831)   #44
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
No, I do not believe it to be just a "British" thing!

L.P.
Thank you, sometimes I get the feeling some people want F1 style teams only to run. this should never be the case, in the true sprit of Le Mans there has to be the "shoestring" entry or two.
Old 21 May 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2695615)   #45
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Photos from the car's shakedown test at Nogaro from Endurance-Info: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-4444.html

Also, another French car was being shaken down there as well... a pretty special old one at that.
Old 21 May 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2695675)   #46
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Thank you, sometimes I get the feeling some people want F1 style teams only to run. this should never be the case, in the true sprit of Le Mans there has to be the "shoestring" entry or two.
Shoestring entry or two , I have no problem with . But to expect a new car to run reliabily for 24 hours is not realistic , unless you have done a shed load of testing with it .

Now the car is out , lets see what they can do with it . I sincerly wish them all the best . But I cant see it lasting .

Maybe you can , so lets have a friendly bet ? Wish it was a real bet , I dont mind winning a few quid .
Old 21 May 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2695709)   #47
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car looks the part, hope they can get to a decent distance in the race.
Old 22 May 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2695754)   #48
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Shoestring entry or two , I have no problem with . But to expect a new car to run reliabily for 24 hours is not realistic , unless you have done a shed load of testing with it .

Now the car is out , lets see what they can do with it . I sincerly wish them all the best . But I cant see it lasting .

Maybe you can , so lets have a friendly bet ? Wish it was a real bet , I dont mind winning a few quid .
The Judd DB will certainly be de-tuned so there shouldn't be any question of that surviving. I'm assuming they are using an off the shelf transmission like an Xtrac or Hewland. THose are solid pieces. It is rare for P2 cars to complete all 24 hrs without drama. Barring an accident, there is a good chance they will at least finish.

I was reading about the year when the Binnie Lola won their class at Le Mans. They spent the better part of the last hour sitting in the pits so they could minimize any chance of a crash before the end. I think only two cars were running at the end. Since then, I think we have seen a slow increase in reliability. Moving up to the 800+kg weight limit probably has done as much to improve reliability as anything else. The teams are not forced to cut, cut, cut in regards to weight savings any more.
Based on my ramblings, I think there is a BETTER than 50% chance the Norma finishes the 24hrs and is classified.(running and 75% distance)
Can we set up a betting pool? lol!
dh
Old 22 May 2010, 04:33 (Ref:2695799)   #49
Panhard
Rookie

United Kingdom
Florida
Panhard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah those of little faith not only is the car ready for LeMans but will be officially launched at leMans with the ACO on Tuesday next week. The car has run very well in testing this week at two different tracks in the south of France.
As a reminder the last Norma LMP1 ran in ALMS and leMans in 2003.
Two cars were fielded here between 2000 & 2003 in Grand Am & ALMS.
Norma has had great success with the M20 CN selling over 150 cars in Europe.
The M200 is the latest car & only current chassis to meet 2011 specs for LMP2.
hope this clears up some of the speculation
Old 22 May 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2695884)   #50
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Good looking car.

What material is the body made off?