Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2856734)   #1
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to the future

This week-end I am taking part in the 5th Monte-Carlo Rally for Alternative Energy Vehicles.
http://www.acm.mc/vea/vea_main.php?p...011.php&lng=en
I shall be driving a "works" Nissan Leaf which is 100% electric and am in fact doing a part of the Rally called the Urban Electric Rally, which is for full electric cars that cannot compete in the full event due to restricted mileage. We do two regularity stages on Saturday, the first up to Gorbio and the second the Col de la Madone and Col des Banquettes (a former "real" rally special stage).
I shall let you know how I get on! Good practice anyway for the McLaren M1 next week at Barcelona! Actually it does have a kind of Kers system (the Nissan, not the McLaren!), when you lift off the engine acts as an alternator and recharges the battery. So perhaps downhill will compensate for uphill (rather doubt this).
I am sure this will interest the younger members of this forum as one day they will be watching all electric Formula One races (and I will hopefully be dead).
All the best
Marcus
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2856744)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not quite sure how to respond to that one, Marcus!
Old 1 Apr 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2856757)   #3
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy charging, Marcus !
Old 1 Apr 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2856763)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Did you see the link for the Electric Drag bike I put up just incase you didnt its here. Reminded me of a scene from the movie Tron and in some ways I feel encouraged by it as it means motorsport can continue, we can always add some loud speakers for the engine noise lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbi1R...layer_embedded

or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ukL...1&feature=fvwp
Old 1 Apr 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2856778)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marcus, is it just lucky coincidence that this event starts on April 1st?

As you say, at some point in the future large numbers of people, some our descendants, may indeed travel by wind-blown Leafs but I suspect it may take a little longer and be more disruptive than some people imagine. I too expect to have departed by then. Hopefully.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2856802)   #6
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Marcus, is it just lucky coincidence that this event starts on April 1st?

As you say, at some point in the future large numbers of people, some our descendants, may indeed travel by wind-blown Leafs but I suspect it may take a little longer and be more disruptive than some people imagine. I too expect to have departed by then. Hopefully.
I quite forgot it was April 1st! No, it is all true - scrutineering at 18.00 today, start 08.30 tomorrow. I drove a similar car yesterday around Monaco - it actually has a built in noise to make when it is under 30 km/h to warn pedestrians! The equivalent of the man with the red flag who had to walk ahead of you in the olden days (before even I was born).
Not sure why Nissan called it a Leaf - as it is brand new, I sincerely hope I do not turn it over (sorry, my sense of humour needs recharging). Apparently it handles very well because it has 300 kg of battery hidden under the floor. Famous last words...
Old 1 Apr 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2856821)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Talking of Leafs have you seen the new artifical leaf tecnology break through and no this is not and April Fools gag. Apparently it could pave to way to the future and revolutionise energy harvesting from the sun.

Link here
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/P...wlc=1301361488

Last edited by Al Weyman; 1 Apr 2011 at 13:21.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2856923)   #8
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wont all the mains extension leads get tangled??
Old 1 Apr 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2857017)   #9
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Technically, the first artificial leaf was developed more than 10 years ago by John Turner of the U.S. National Renewable Energy Lab in Boulder, Colo.

However, Turner's device used rare, expensive materials and was highly unstable.
Come on John - get a grip! We need a leaf made from readily available, cheap stable materials... Maybe it's time to stop moderating and get inventing!
Old 1 Apr 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2857024)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I always thought there was more to the man!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 04:28 (Ref:2857173)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Come on John - get a grip! We need a leaf made from readily available, cheap stable materials... Maybe it's time to stop moderating and get inventing!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2857204)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
violating with voltage, very rock n roll, have fun!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2857324)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Coal?
Old 3 Apr 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2857644)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John Turners - they're as common as muck!
Old 3 Apr 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2858191)   #15
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Well I survived, and managed not to turn over the new Leaf. We finished 2nd in the full electric class, actually we were first on regularity but lost out on consumption to a Mitsubishi which was much smaller and lighter. The Col de la Madone stage was quite hairy, we had to average 47 km/h with a steep climb to start with then a very narrow and winding descent where I had to squeeze past the guy in front who had lost one minute on the way up. The Leaf has amazing handling, all the weight in the floor - you hardly have to slow down for the hairpins, it's glued to the road, a normal petrol car would have been on two wheels. And the acceleration out of the corners is astonishing. The full rally was actually won by Erik Comas (former Ligier driver), in a Tesla, which is based on a Lotus Elise with full electric engine, but has much longer range than the Leaf.
Anyway an interesting experience. Now looking forward to the past!
All the best
Marcus
Old 4 Apr 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2858386)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to the radio today, Bernie E has been charged (excuse the pun) with developing an electric GP. Will Marcus be the first Tenther to be a member of the GPDA?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2858550)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
According to the radio today, Bernie E has been charged (excuse the pun) with developing an electric GP. Will Marcus be the first Tenther to be a member of the GPDA?
eGPDA?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2858569)   #18
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Quote:
eGPDA?
They called, they want me to drive the pacemaker
Marcus
Old 4 Apr 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2858588)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
They called, they want me to drive the pacemaker
Marcus

Old 4 Apr 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2858592)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
According to the radio today, Bernie E has been charged (excuse the pun) with developing an electric GP.
I suppose this would give a revised nuance to being 'on the grid'.

On the other hand one could foresee an option to merge with athletics (to reduce costs) and provide the drivers with their own KERS system - pedal powered - that would allow their personal fitness to influence results. Might have to resort to oval tracks of course. First lap run in lanes .... that sort of thing.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2858641)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Might have to resort to oval tracks of course. First lap run in lanes .... that sort of thing.
Following an electric hare?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2858658)   #22
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the stewards think you are driving dangerously is it you or the car that is charged?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 16:33 (Ref:2858671)   #23
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Following an electric hare?

Would that be a replacement for a pace car?

Bernie's sprinkler concept might not be terribly advisable so I suppse a hare brained course could be developed as an alternative.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2858672)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
If the stewards think you are driving dangerously is it you or the car that is charged?
Discharged surely?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2858810)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

At least the hares may know when to pull off.

Search YouTube for the Le Mans Endurance race at Le Castellet over the weekend for enlightenment if this means nothing to you....