Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jul 2020, 06:43 (Ref:3990958)   #3401
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
For me, the north starts just above Bedale....
wherever the heck that is .......!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:01 (Ref:3990967)   #3402
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
wherever the heck that is .......!
If this works - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3099...7i13312!8i6656

When you get onto the A1M from Bedale/Northallerton/Leeming Bar, then you are given directions to 'The NORTH', which is further north than your current location.

So - if you drive from the south up as far as Bedale, you still have further to go until you reach 'the north'.....
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3990968)   #3403
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Born and bred in Bognor Regis, we consider Goodwood as up norf.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:54 (Ref:3990980)   #3404
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More westerly i think ...!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3990989)   #3405
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If this works - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3099...7i13312!8i6656

When you get onto the A1M from Bedale/Northallerton/Leeming Bar, then you are given directions to 'The NORTH', which is further north than your current location.

So - if you drive from the south up as far as Bedale, you still have further to go until you reach 'the north'.....
Hehehe I was bored in lockdown so tried to see how far North it is..... from Glen Iris in Victoria!
All I got was "Sorry, we could not calculate driving directions from Glen Iris VIC 3146" to "Bedale Rd, Leeming Bar, UK".

Yours
Bored, Way down Sarf.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:44 (Ref:3990992)   #3406
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe I was bored in lockdown so tried to see how far North it is..... from Glen Iris in Victoria!
All I got was "Sorry, we could not calculate driving directions from Glen Iris VIC 3146" to "Bedale Rd, Leeming Bar, UK".

Yours
Bored, Way down Sarf.
It's all relative. East Kimberley Regional Airport, in Western Australia would, I imagine, be referred to as being in the north of the country?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...!4d128.7126687
Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3990996)   #3407
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It all depends on roads too. I guess the East Kimberley Airport could be described as North West, but it all depends where you are. Even if it does have East in the name!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 10:07 (Ref:3991001)   #3408
bauble
Veteran

England
I can't believe it matters to any sensible person, where these obscure places are or how to get there.#
Probably all in lockdown anyway.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3991005)   #3409
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can't believe it matters to any sensible person, where these obscure places are or how to get there.#
Talking of lockdown Baub, I see that Luton is overtaking Leicester in the infection rates, I hope you're keeping your distance?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3991016)   #3410
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

And if you stood on the South pole , every direction of travel would be NORTH .

But the original problem with the slow Internet seems to have come from a fire in an exchange in Newcastle , [ which is way ooop norf ] . And that seems to be affecting the whole country .
https://www.rt.com/uk/495621-interne...ges-across-uk/

But possibly it might be sorted in a few days & posting pictures again should not be a problem .
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3991028)   #3411
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Talking of lockdown Baub, I see that Luton is overtaking Leicester in the infection rates, I hope you're keeping your distance?
Do keep up Viv, rates are falling in the LU4 area, despite the
Town Mayor and several Labour councillors being in breach of strict social distancing rules, by attending a party in the town. Sadly all of Asian persuasion, and with a large Asian population, not very good role models.

I live in LU4, and residents were urged to take a test for the virus. I reside in the 'upper' end of the LU4 post code, far from the 'Asian Quarter' (there description), which is also LU4, our neighbour rang to make am appointment for a test, and was asked where about's in LU4 he lived. "Oh! You don't need to bother then." Was the reply.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3991029)   #3412
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
And if you stood on the South pole , every direction of travel would be NORTH .

But the original problem with the slow Internet seems to have come from a fire in an exchange in Newcastle , [ which is way ooop norf ] . And that seems to be affecting the whole country .
https://www.rt.com/uk/495621-interne...ges-across-uk/

But possibly it might be sorted in a few days & posting pictures again should not be a problem .
Next time i'm at the South Pole, I'll remember that.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3991036)   #3413
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Next time i'm at the South Pole, I'll remember that.
Remember , Penguins at the South Pole , Polar bears at the North pole .

And Polar bears don,t like Penguins .

[They have a job to get the wrappers off .]
Old 27 Jul 2020, 18:06 (Ref:3991109)   #3414
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Remember , Penguins at the South Pole , Polar bears at the North pole .

And Polar bears don,t like Penguins .

[They have a job to get the wrappers off .]

At 83 I thought I must be the oldest person on the Historic Forum ......

..... clearly I am not!!!!!
Old 29 Jul 2020, 13:09 (Ref:3991377)   #3415
bauble
Veteran

England
Now that it seems that we must bring the curtain down on the Picture Parade, I in a fit of nostalgia went right back to the original post, and started going through the subsequent additions page by page. From a purely personal basis I was very pleased to read so many complimentary remarks, not just on my own ability as a photographer, but also on the Thread itself. Apart from massaging my ego, it has also proved to have been a real boon during the lockdown period, providing a lot of entertainment to the masses, and demonstrating the depth of knowledge amongst posters, with some excellent contributions from other snappers.

While reading posts I was struck by the frequency of answers from our good friend Mike, regularly commenting and displaying his own love and in-depth knowledge of historic racing, and saddened as their frequency became fewer and fewer, before his final contribution on April 7th. with a typical 'thank you' to Percy for a set of pictures of Mike. I have to admit I watered up, well am, as I write.

It has been fun and a rewarding experience for me, so thank you to the thousands of 'viewers'.

Baub.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3991384)   #3416
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saw the PM Bob. Yes we've removed the attachment function but it's not your fault so don't feel upset. We can still link to images and display them.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3991386)   #3417
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Saw the PM Bob. Yes we've removed the attachment function but it's not your fault so don't feel upset. We can still link to images and display them.
Thank you Peter, I am pleased not to be the culprit.

I assume we now have to use the URL route?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 14:04 (Ref:3991392)   #3418
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I assume we now have to use the URL route?
Yup.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3991398)   #3419
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now that it seems that we must bring the curtain down on the Picture Parade, I in a fit of nostalgia went right back to the original post, and started going through the subsequent additions page by page. From a purely personal basis I was very pleased to read so many complimentary remarks, not just on my own ability as a photographer, but also on the Thread itself. Apart from massaging my ego, it has also proved to have been a real boon during the lockdown period, providing a lot of entertainment to the masses, and demonstrating the depth of knowledge amongst posters, with some excellent contributions from other snappers.

While reading posts I was struck by the frequency of answers from our good friend Mike, regularly commenting and displaying his own love and in-depth knowledge of historic racing, and saddened as their frequency became fewer and fewer, before his final contribution on April 7th. with a typical 'thank you' to Percy for a set of pictures of Mike. I have to admit I watered up, well am, as I write.

It has been fun and a rewarding experience for me, so thank you to the thousands of 'viewers'.

Baub.
Baub, I found the whole thread very interesting too, and I think that it displayed what (to me) a lot of the Ten Tenths community is all about. The opportunity to entertain and educate each other and to allow ourselves to work our grey matter either by bringing back memories, or by trying to answer the questions posed. This was (nearly) all carried out with great humour and civility, the only exception to this being some very rude comments from someone about the (admittedly) blotchy and out of focus photographs that I posted! You can also now add another qualification to your own list of achievements as due to this thread, you are now internationally famous as 'The Man from Luton who broke the Internet' (or at least, changed the way that pictures can now be posted on this forum!
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3991414)   #3420
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We dont have to complain, it's been great and good to watch and we could enjoy till the end with the Z letter. Happy for that!
En route pour de nouvelles aventures, another thread may be bauble?
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3991569)   #3421
bauble
Veteran

England
Pictures can be displayed on the forum, however, they must be on the internet to be able to generate a URL code to enter into the upload box.
The method is to select your image from your/a web site and right click on the picture to bring up a menu. Select 'Copy image link'. This is then saved to your computer.

To show the picture on the forum, do not click the 'paper clip', use the yellow box that (to me) looks like an envelope. When this opens up another box displaying the HTTP code, simply paste your URL into the box, and then
Preview post to check all is well.. You can add two pictures, however, this means repeating the first steps to generate a second URL code., but you can usually keep two site open at the same time. Your web site and the Tenths site.

If you do not have a web site, but want to add something to the new Picture Puzzles thread, you can email you image and question to me and I will post it for you.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3991573)   #3422
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Everyone keeps their distance from Bauble
Old 30 Jul 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3991649)   #3423
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
Everyone keeps their distance from Bauble
Nice to know that at least two people don't like me on here.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3991867)   #3424
bauble
Veteran

England
Perhaps we can struggle on a little longer;

Old 31 Jul 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3991898)   #3425
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hi Baub,

Those links are no good, you've mixed up the code. Can you send me the links and I'll try to edit them?