Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3967518)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
RBS: Cortina GT, Galaxie and Lotus Cortina! Ask Joe, he will tell you about the differences between GT and LC…

Bob: Autosport or Cooper Tyres?

Last edited by Gerard C; 29 Mar 2020 at 11:12.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3967520)   #77
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
All a bit too Mod for my taste, Tell. I will sort out something a bit more appropriate.
But Gerard had the Beatles & the Stones , what could be better .

Mind you , Abba or Fleetwood Mac would go down very well .[/QUOTE]

Almost forgot , Fleetwood Mac might make the F1 fans nostalgic .

But never mind .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDG2m5hN1vo
Old 29 Mar 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3967524)   #78
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sunday noon, Brothers, lets have a spare thought for all those turn light keepers, puzzled between staying and starving and going out and catching!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdopssPIVuw
Old 29 Mar 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3967542)   #79
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Tel 911S;3967520]But Gerard had the Beatles & the Stones , what could be better .
Much more appropriate;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI
Old 29 Mar 2020, 14:53 (Ref:3967547)   #80
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A man heard a commotion in his back garden, and when he looked out of the window he saw a gorilla in his apple tree; "That's funny" he thought, "where did he come from/"
So he rang the local zoo and asked "Have you lost a gorilla recently?"

The zoo man replied "Yes, I was just going out to look for him."

"Look no further, he is in my back garden." He said.

"Hold on, and don't disturb him I am on my way, I'll soon sort him out."

Ten minutes later the zoo van pulled up, and the Zoo Keeper got out carrying a large net, and a shotgun, with a little terrier following him.

"Right where's this gorilla" he said.

The man showed him where the gorilla was, and asked; "How on earth will you get him out of the tree, and secured?"

"Well, I spread the net under the tree, then I climb up the tree and give it a good shake, the gorilla taken by surprise falls out, and the dog, specially trained will grip him tightly between the legs. The gorilla paralysed by the pain lies on the net, and down I come and wrap him up and away we go."

The man asked; "Then what is the shotgun for?"

"Ah," came the reply, "If I fall out of the tree for god's sake shoot the dog!"
Old 29 Mar 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3967555)   #81
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to F1 questions, who were the 2 pairs of Brothers to race in the same GP first?
Old 29 Mar 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3967559)   #82
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Rodriguez? Schumaker? Fititpaldi? Errr Rickenbacker!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3967562)   #83
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Rodriguez? Schumaker? Fititpaldi? Errr Rickenbacker!
Could any of those brothers been in the same race? I don't think so!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3967582)   #84
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Problem is that on this forum when a difficult to answer question is asked, mainly we rely on you to supply… If now, you ask the questions!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 21:46 (Ref:3967600)   #85
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Back to F1 questions, who were the 2 pairs of Brothers to race in the same GP first?
Scheckters & Fittipaldis? 1972 or 1973 maybe?
Old 30 Mar 2020, 03:01 (Ref:3967620)   #86
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1972 and Emmo drove for Lotus, Wilson had a few runs in a Brabham

Scheckter bros would have been 1974
Old 30 Mar 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3967635)   #87
bauble
Veteran

England
Jody Schecter raced in F1 1972 - 1980

Ian Schecter 1974 - 1977

Emmo Fitti 1970 - 1980

Willie Fitti 1972 - 1975

If that helps anyone.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 07:33 (Ref:3967636)   #88
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
It was at Kyalami in 1975, when Ian S made his debut in 1974 Wison F did not take part.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:27 (Ref:3967640)   #89
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Away from F1.
Who won the very first British Saloon Car Championship race, when and where?

Who won the first British Formula 3 Championship?

Which club ran the first race meeting at Silverstone?

Answers strictly by PM to avoid aggravation. Please.

Failing anyone to get the answer to Q1;

"It’s true that the first British Saloon Car Championship was run in 1958. However, the very first race counting towards that year’s points table was actually staged at Brands Hatch on Boxing Day 1957. It was won by Tommy Sopwith driving an Equipe Endeavour 3.4-litre Jaguar."

The first British Formula 3 Champion was Eric Brandon driving a 500cc Cooper Norton in 1951,

The first Club to run a meeting at Silverstone is believed to be the Bentley Drivers Club, and possibly pre dates the Grand Prix, however confirmation is hard to find, so if you know tell us.

Last edited by bauble; 30 Mar 2020 at 09:32. Reason: Additional material.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:40 (Ref:3967643)   #90
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It was at Kyalami in 1975, when Ian S made his debut in 1974 Wison F did not take part.
But Wilson F did not qualify for the 1975 SA race, so was a non starter...

However all four started at Sweden in 1975.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3967644)   #91
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very good questions, Bob, thanks for the answers… Not so easy imo
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3967649)   #92
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We just seem to be on race questions at the moment .
So here is one .What & when was the last race meeting at Crystal Palace .[ Not counting modern open day type displays ].

Not sure but I think I raced in that one .
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3967652)   #93
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The last F2 was in 1972 but lesser races were held up to 1974. Gerry Marshall won the last race if my memory is working correctly!
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3967656)   #94
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
The last F2 was in 1972 but lesser races were held up to 1974. Gerry Marshall won the last race if my memory is working correctly!

I was not sure , so after I put that one up , I had a look on Tinternet .
There is one link that says races were held after 1972 , but it does not strike true to me .
https://forums.autosport.com/topic/1...orty-years-on/

This link says what I remember , last car meeting in Sept 1972 , but I raced in
an International Kart meeting in Oct 1972.
And I do seem to remember that they were starting to close the circuit down immediately afterwards
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:44 (Ref:3967659)   #95
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This website suggests that the racing post-'72 was not actually on the circuit?

'September 23, 1972: Gerry Marshall wins the final car race to be held at Crystal Palace driving a Lister Jaguar (Last karting event October, 1972). Club events continued to use parts of the grounds until 1974'
Old 30 Mar 2020, 11:04 (Ref:3967665)   #96
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This website suggests that the racing post-'72 was not actually on the circuit?

'September 23, 1972: Gerry Marshall wins the final car race to be held at Crystal Palace driving a Lister Jaguar (Last karting event October, 1972). Club events continued to use parts of the grounds until 1974'
I was a member of the organising committee for the 1973 World Cyclo Cross Championships in 1973 at the Palace. Treasure and in charge of ticket sales.

Does that help at all?
Old 30 Mar 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3967666)   #97
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I was a member of the organising committee for the 1973 World Cyclo Cross Championships in 1973 at the Palace. Treasure and in charge of ticket sales.

Does that help at all?
Did you have a look at the circuit Bob .
I do seem to remember walls of railway sleepers as crash barriers right on the edge of some of the bends . So not much room for any mistakes .
Old 30 Mar 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3967678)   #98
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Did you have a look at the circuit Bob .
I do seem to remember walls of railway sleepers as crash barriers right on the edge of some of the bends . So not much room for any mistakes .
Quite right Tel, some very hard things to hit all around the circuit, I attended a lot of meetings including the very first (Post war Viv) one. Main race was the Coronation Cup won by Tony Rolt in Rob Walkers Connaught F2 car. It was a fabulous circuit to spectate at, as you could get quite close to the cars.

To quote someone else 'Happy days'

The Cross Champs did not use the track of course, but still had some tricky descents. I recall the BCCA secretary in suit and tie showing the American team around the course, and at one of the steeper drops they asked "Do you have to ride down that!" Looking rather apprehensive, so Ray got on one of their bikes and made a perfect descent, and he was not an active competitor at that time. Typical Y Better not.

Last edited by bauble; 30 Mar 2020 at 13:35. Reason: Additional material.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3967685)   #99
Tel 911S
Veteran

Been doing a bit of searching & found some pictures of Crystal Palace .
Some old & some as it is now .
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/...rystal-palace/
Old 30 Mar 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3967686)   #100
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have a few photo's of Willment Cortinas at Crystal Palace. managed to work out where and when each one was taken by the car numbers and drivers. Photo's came from Jeff Urens collection.