Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Nov 2003, 12:48 (Ref:772647)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US F3: Too much WHAT???

Erm, I wonder if anyone out there can help me...,

I was just now, for reasons best known to myself, looking on speedsportmag, which is an excellent repository of statistical information on motorracing of many sorts, and I commend it heartily to you. I was distracted by the thought of US Formula 3, so I had a look at the info on that, and found this page on the 2001 season.

I will personally buy a pint for the person who can come up with the best explanation for the cancellation of the race at Mosport on 1 September 2001, said prize to be collected next time you see me at a F3 meeting - I'm easily recognisable by dint of me wearing a t-shirt of the-site-that-must-not-be-named, and hanging around the Hitech garage a lot.

Bonus points will be awarded for answers in a QI stylee.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 12:55 (Ref:772652)   #2
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points will, of course, be deducted for giving me the correct, and rather dull, answer...,
Old 4 Nov 2003, 13:51 (Ref:772732)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe.. nobodycared that?
That season, if memory doesn't deceive me, was vastely dominated by brazilian Luciano Gomide, who, together with previous season, broke the Senna's record of F3 wins en route, arriving to 18, i guess.
But, as you certainly agree, there was no interest in that, the technical level of the series was close to zero.
We can guess it was a spontaneous death.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 00:10 (Ref:778322)   #4
Charlex
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Charlex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mathias, after I saw your post, I started looking in the old US F3 site, I thought that I was the only person in the world with interest in the USF3, but now I know we are two. My interest is that I love F3 categories, but now that I am working here in the US I would have prefered a more competitive one. I encourage to contact me everybody who has an interest in having a US F3! So my price you will have to send me by mail ;-)

Here is what I found:, looks like the first race was full of yellow flags...

Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada - Sept. 2, 2001. John C Antonino won the first battle but Luciano won the war and collected his twelfth win in a row in USF3, the fifth in a row in the 2001 season.

The scheduled Rounds 5 and 6 were been combined into a single event, combining the results of two races, after Race 1 was shortened to only three green flag laps due to a four car crash at the start in turn one.

John Antonino (Asia Express-GrapeKing-Arra-Uptown-Giumarra.com-RLC-Eurointernational Dallara F301 VW), starting from the pole, won the first race of his young career with only 1.07 seconds lead over Luciano Gomide (GOL-Impact Protection System-Eurointernational Dallara F300 VW) but lost the opportunity to win his first USF3 event, spinning in turn 5 in Race two, trying to hang on to Luciano Gomide, who was leading the race with 3 laps to go.

The Eurointernational-duo has run another wheel-to-wheel USF3 event, dominating the 24-car field in both races under very difficult track conditions.

"Race 1 was mainly yellow and I touched wheels with John (Antonino) a couple of times. The races ended with only three green laps, so I gave 100% and more in race two to pass John and create a safe margin over him," said Gomide. "He did two great races and took me over my limit when I was behind some back-marker. I was lucky not to crash at least three times, and only when I saw John spin in turn five did I know that my twelfth win was secure."

With this win, Luciano Gomide breaks Ayrton Senna's record of 11 wins in a row. "I was sure that this was my day even after Luciano (Gomide) passed me in race two, because I was able to stay within my one second advantage from race one," said Antonino "I lost it on turn five when I was planning to re-pass Luciano in the same way he took the lead earlier. I learned a lot today, and now I know that a complete win is possible soon. We have had a great battle all day long and without my mistake now I'd be the one celebrating."

Jacek Mucha (Orion Ralt) finished third, followed by Mario Urbano, Kyle Herder and Gianni Biral.

After Rounds 5 & 6, Luciano Gomide leads the standings with 50 points, followed by John C Antonino with 24 and Kyle Herder with 13.