Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2020, 10:54 (Ref:4005314)   #26
ingo
Rookie

ingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, really good to be back in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Well done Cadwell, MSV and the HSCC, and thanks to the likes of Alan Morgan for rounding up so many enthusiastic racers.
I went along on Sunday - as Coppice mentions, the circuit and surrounds looked magnificent - and saw plenty of competitive racing, particularly the FF2000s and FF1600s. Among the highlights for me were Pierre Livingston drifting his Merlyn at speed through The Gooseneck, and Ben Tilley hammering down to The Mountain in his beautiful ex-Keegan March 743, left, right, and powering up over the top; so smooth, and extremely quick.
Jeremy Clark was impressive too in his Elan, as was Kevin Kivlochan, in the later race, fighting through from the back of the grid in the thunderous Cobra.

Regarding that debris fencing up at Hall Bends. Hopefully just at the fast entry? If so, I'm not surprised, because it's an exhilarating, terrifying, and potentially dangerous place to spectate! I take a few steps back sometimes when someone's trying an overtaking move off the top of The Mountain, two cars coming in to the first right flick side by side. Eeek!
Old 21 Sep 2020, 18:14 (Ref:4005415)   #27
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingo View Post
Regarding that debris fencing up at Hall Bends. Hopefully just at the fast entry? If so, I'm not surprised, because it's an exhilarating, terrifying, and potentially dangerous place to spectate! I take a few steps back sometimes when someone's trying an overtaking move off the top of The Mountain, two cars coming in to the first right flick side by side. Eeek!

This photo will give you some idea of the new fence - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...in/dateposted/
Old 21 Sep 2020, 18:21 (Ref:4005419)   #28
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
All told a good meeting - my third visit to Cadwell this year so I'm used to the circuit looking like it now does, but still a testament to the work of the circuit guys. Yes some racing was a bit lackluster (read the paper during the Clubmans...) but good sized grids of Formula Fords in all the incarnations was a great sight!
Baring any issues, looking forward to Silverstone in a month!
Old 21 Sep 2020, 18:52 (Ref:4005424)   #29
ingo
Rookie

ingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
This photo will give you some idea of the new fence - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...in/dateposted/
Thanks, David. Can we see the far end of the fencing in your photo, or does it go on further?
Old 21 Sep 2020, 18:55 (Ref:4005426)   #30
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks, David. Can we see the far end of the fencing in your photo, or does it go on further?
Sorry, I don't know that.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 19:20 (Ref:4005427)   #31
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Hmm.

That's a shame.

Not only was that a great location it was also very popular. So even if the fence does not continue much further out of sight the snappery fans that persist will be battling for considerably less track side real estate.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 19:40 (Ref:4005429)   #32
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As it was out of bounds, there's no way of knowing but assume so. Great shame but not a great surprise. I looked for Mr Coppice at Coppice over the weekend but found no takers, nevertheless great viewing from that vantage point! All the open wheel races were very entertaining and well subscribed, even the HFF 2000 heats were hard fought. Top marks for everyone involved, back next year hopefully for my annual trip to the Wolds and the most spectacular circuit in the UK.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 19:47 (Ref:4005430)   #33
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am going off memory, because I wasn't specifically paying attention to that, but I don't think it does. The proper "Hall Bends Viewing area" I think was unobstructed. At least I remember seeing people in there when driving past and they didn't seem hazy!
Old 22 Sep 2020, 05:57 (Ref:4005498)   #34
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
As it was out of bounds, there's no way of knowing but assume so. Great shame but not a great surprise. I looked for Mr Coppice at Coppice over the weekend but found no takers, nevertheless great viewing from that vantage point! All the open wheel races were very entertaining and well subscribed, even the HFF 2000 heats were hard fought. Top marks for everyone involved, back next year hopefully for my annual trip to the Wolds and the most spectacular circuit in the UK.
I was at Coppice for various races with a chum - I shall wear a rose and bow tie next time for ease of identification . Glad you enjoyed your trip . I have loved the place since my first meeting there in - eeek- April 1975 and it has never looked more gorgeous. I have to pinch my myself that I saw contemporary F3 there, not to mention the bonkers TVR Tuscan challenge ...
Old 22 Sep 2020, 06:53 (Ref:4005503)   #35
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm in that photo! I can confirm that the fencing ends around where it disappears from view in the picture. To be honest it doesn't really detract from viewing but would obviously get in the way of people wishing to take photos.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 08:45 (Ref:4005524)   #36
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSSC CADWELL

My first visit was 1976.
My claim to fame is; I stood next to Ayrton Senna in the paddock when he had an off and damaged the car. Back in those days I dont think spare cars were allowed in F3 so he was a non starter.

In the late 1980's I marshalled at Gooseneck, Charlies, bottom of the Mountain but the the most exhilarating post was at the entrance to Coppice.
To see a grid full of cars coming towards you was amazing.I remember one race (before I was a marshall) several cars collided and ended up hitting the marshals post.

I think a bit of character has been lost when the banking was removed on the approch to the bottom of the Mountain and replaced with armco.

Still a lovely setting to watch motorsport though.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 09:55 (Ref:4005541)   #37
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We used to go there in the mid 60s when we used to follow motorcycle racing, this was when you could see all the top works riders (Hailwood Read etc) that did the rounds at the time. It used to take us 5 hours from where I live in the UK on the old roads, now with all the motorways and increased traffic it still takes us the same !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2020, 16:20 (Ref:4005638)   #38
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
So....after what I thought was a wonderful weekend of racing , did everyone , especially first timers, enjoy it as much as I did? I don't think I've ever seen the circuit and the surrounding woodland look better. I frown a little to see that some debris fencing has appeared on Hall Bends but as the paddock was forbidden territory I wasn't able to see it close up.
Hi Coppice thoroughly enjoyed our weekend there it lived up to expectations. Folk were very friendly there only grumble was the poor food offering with one Burger van selling overpriced and crap quality food.
NYMR up to Whitby on Monday was enjoyable although I was rather clapped out when we finally got home last night.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 16:36 (Ref:4005641)   #39
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Hi Coppice thoroughly enjoyed our weekend there it lived up to expectations. Folk were very friendly there only grumble was the poor food offering with one Burger van selling overpriced and crap quality food.
NYMR up to Whitby on Monday was enjoyable although I was rather clapped out when we finally got home last night.
Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the incredibly close-up viewing area at Hall Bends next time!
Old 23 Sep 2020, 20:28 (Ref:4005915)   #40
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Galleries for Races 1 to 4 from Saturday now on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
Old 24 Sep 2020, 08:29 (Ref:4006001)   #41
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
My first visit was 1976.
My claim to fame is; I stood next to Ayrton Senna in the paddock when he had an off and damaged the car. Back in those days I dont think spare cars were allowed in F3 so he was a non starter.

In the late 1980's I marshalled at Gooseneck, Charlies, bottom of the Mountain but the the most exhilarating post was at the entrance to Coppice.
To see a grid full of cars coming towards you was amazing.I remember one race (before I was a marshall) several cars collided and ended up hitting the marshals post.

I think a bit of character has been lost when the banking was removed on the approch to the bottom of the Mountain and replaced with armco.

Still a lovely setting to watch motorsport though.
I was at Cadwell with a mate racing his Mini Se7en when Senna had his off in practice (1981 I think). He hit the marshals post on The Mountain knocking at least two of his wheels off (and marshals off the post!). He sat in the car for a few seconds keeping the engine running but after surveying the damage & realising it was going nowhere, switched the engine off and calmly hopped out!
Old 24 Sep 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4006013)   #42
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Galleries for Races 1 to 4 from Saturday now on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
Thanks for the photos David,The black and white photo of me going up the hill is brilliant. If anyone looks at the photo you can see my crash hat in colour in the mirror. very clever.
Old 24 Sep 2020, 16:51 (Ref:4006062)   #43
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I was at Cadwell with a mate racing his Mini Se7en when Senna had his off in practice (1981 I think). He hit the marshals post on The Mountain knocking at least two of his wheels off (and marshals off the post!). He sat in the car for a few seconds keeping the engine running but after surveying the damage & realising it was going nowhere, switched the engine off and calmly hopped out!
June 1983. I'll get me anorak
Old 24 Sep 2020, 18:19 (Ref:4006072)   #44
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Races 5 to 7 now on Flickr as well. Sorry, saloon car chaps - didn't stay for that one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums