Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1771885)   #1
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton Street Race is all go from 2008??

Hi All

Hamilton has been given resource consent to hold a street race from 2008 - 2014.

The full PR is HERE
Old 21 Nov 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1771907)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations to Dean Calvert, Steve Vuleta, Colin Giltrap and all the team at CSM 9the race promoter) and Michael Redman and the team at the Hamilton City Council for making this great event happen and securing future V8 Supercar rounds for the New Zealand fan base.

Mostoff all, thanks to the people of Hamilton. Without your support this event could have failed to get Resource Consent. The proof is in the statistics - 234 submissions received for the Supercar Street Race Consent and 200 were in support with 34 against out some 3000 people who would have been affected by the Street Race.

Never would support like this have occurred in N.I.M.B.Y Auckland, yet in seemingly 5 minutes Government can approve the building of a "Stadium Australia Mark II" on Auckland's waterfront and secure Fletcher Building as the project managers, and look to change the law to circumvent the Resource Management Act so that a few games of rugby can be played there is 2011 at a cost to build of $700 million to $1 billion

I rest my case - Congratulations Hamilton for your unity and overcoming obstacles!!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1771924)   #3
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats magic news!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 00:54 (Ref:1771925)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another bloody street race.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1771946)   #5
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Never would support like this have occurred in N.I.M.B.Y Auckland, yet in seemingly 5 minutes Government can approve the building of a "Stadium Australia Mark II" on Auckland's waterfront and secure Fletcher Building as the project managers, and look to change the law to circumvent the Resource Management Act so that a few games of rugby can be played there is 2011 at a cost to build of $700 million to $1 billion

!!

Well, its going to cost 20 mill. approx to stage the race each year. And when it is gone. what will you have to show for it? Nothing.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 03:01 (Ref:1771959)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad news.

What was wrong with Taupo again ?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1771968)   #7
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz
Well, its going to cost 20 mill. approx to stage the race each year. And when it is gone. what will you have to show for it? Nothing.
Besides the substantial flow on economic benefits to the Hamilton economy of course......
Old 22 Nov 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1771969)   #8
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I was interested to hear Ingalls' comments on RPM last weekend that from a drivers perspective it doesn't get any better than a street race. Now if the crowds flock to the event aswell, which they will, you'll be in the minority again pete.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 03:52 (Ref:1771970)   #9
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Maybe so, but at least its in our backyard.

Its still a race that I can attend without using my passport.

Well done Hamilton.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 03:57 (Ref:1771971)   #10
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For us NZ'ers any V8 race in our backyard is a bonus, gee weve had our hopes banked on Wellington, Auckland, Manfield and Taupo...Finally Hamilton has done something right and whether it be a streetrace that people dont agree with or a proper race complex meeting, ill still turn up this was our one and only last hope!

Well done Hamilton will see you in 2008
Old 22 Nov 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1771980)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yay! Can't wait to see somewhere different (and perhaps better?) than Pukekohe in the coming years...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Nov 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1771983)   #12
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Cochrane was just on the NZ news rubbing it into Auckland and Wellington...(big time)... ;-/

eta...they are saying it's worth 20 million $ to the area.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1771985)   #13
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Yay! Can't wait to see somewhere different (and perhaps better?) than Pukekohe in the coming years...
Whats wrong with Pukekohe? I like it. Not many circuits around with such a fast approach to the straight.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1771994)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might be the only person to agree to this... But IMO it's too dull, doesn't cut it for me.

Still, that's only my opinion, you guys don't have to listen to me if you don't want to .
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:18 (Ref:1772006)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton, home of NZ motorsport.

I don't mind the place too much and can think of worse.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:25 (Ref:1772008)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I might be the only person to agree to this... But IMO it's too dull, doesn't cut it for me.

Still, that's only my opinion, you guys don't have to listen to me if you don't want to .
For memory, Pukekohe has a higher average lap speed in a Supercar than Bathurst does.

Luckily, I abide by the rules and attack the post and not the poster, or all merry hell would have just broken loose!!!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1772011)   #17
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I just said it's not one of MY favourite tracks...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1772014)   #18
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never upset a Kiwi Chatters, there are too many living around the corner from you that will get even.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1772026)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I'll keep that in mind!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1772060)   #20
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Very sad news.

What was wrong with Taupo again ?
Just another bloody autodrome.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1772072)   #21
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Azza500 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
after having worked at pukekohe for the last few years and having a fare idea of whats logisticly needed i think hamilton will find it very hard hope it becomes a success thought might have been a diffrent story though if hamilton had the prats living on the north shore in auckland the same ones putting up most of the the resistance to the waterfront stadium and i wish the media would stop following cochrane and calverts attendance figures 150,000 my arse lets try 50,000 each day for three days economicaly this is a big differance and lets hope hamilton has enough money to build the necessary pit lane bearing in mind that transit nz not long ago pulled funding for the much needed avalon drive upgrade (state highway one)
wonder how much extra staff will be needed ie security,signage,scaffolders,cattering,theyve had enough trouble with things going missing at puke let alone city streets with many points of access dont forget either the grandstand and concrete barriers start getting built eight weeks out form the event wonder when theyll start resurfaceing mill street as the two big divets just wont cut it for racing and i mean the new mill street not the old one
Old 22 Nov 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1772079)   #22
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
With all due respect to your experiences at Puke, do you not think there are a number of paid proffesionals to ensure that adequate funding is available for the things you state?

If eveything falls over due to those reasons ill eat my hat, we all know that figures regarding economic benefit and spectators are blown out of proportion, succesful streetraces are run all around the world without major hicups regarding "security,signage,scaffolders,cattering", so what makes Hamilton so different?

I hope that being NZ's last opportunity to save V8's for the fan base over here, Hamilton goes all out. Overwhelming local support and critical planning of the RMA has lead to Hamilton far out matching Wellington and Aucklands proposals. I dont see them letting us down now.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1772114)   #23
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
With all due respect to your experiences at Puke, do you not think there are a number of paid proffesionals to ensure that adequate funding is available for the things you state?

If eveything falls over due to those reasons ill eat my hat, we all know that figures regarding economic benefit and spectators are blown out of proportion, succesful streetraces are run all around the world without major hicups regarding "security,signage,scaffolders,cattering", so what makes Hamilton so different?

I hope that being NZ's last opportunity to save V8's for the fan base over here, Hamilton goes all out. Overwhelming local support and critical planning of the RMA has lead to Hamilton far out matching Wellington and Aucklands proposals. I dont see them letting us down now.

which officials are they as hamiltons event and promotional buget is about to be blown out to 20 million or so from 1.5 million big differance and the last chance i dont think so thats just a bluff from cochrane and his buddies calvert and co saying that as they have been hell bent on a street race as supposed to a circut remember they need us more than we need them will hurt avesco and csr formerly img more if they dont have a new zealand round. and by the way these other street races have f1 and champ car dollars behind them not just v8 supercars anyone told you who built the much needed overbridge at pukekohe (im sure it was nz army engineers)
Old 22 Nov 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1772120)   #24
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Can i ask where you come up with the figures for Hamilton's budget?

Events that are used to put places on the map very rarely stick within budgets, to make money they have to spend money, council budgets may have been set prior to V8 proposals which leaves 1.5m to be spent on who knows what, netball, basketball, local carnivals?

This event is secured over a number of years, yes the proposed economic gains for Hamilton etc will be blown up, but in time the damage will be minimised...This first year where all the logistical plans are put in place and paid for will lead to an ease of the burdens for the years to come.

I do agree, VESA and promoters do need us the fans to keep the circus ticking...In respect to a round in NZ, Hamilton's public have supported it overwhelmingly and the council has rewarded them with an opportunity.

An opportunity that may hit bumps and hurdles but hey, what event that is brand new doesnt these days?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1772132)   #25
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Can i ask where you come up with the figures for Hamilton's budget?

Events that are used to put places on the map very rarely stick within budgets, to make money they have to spend money, council budgets may have been set prior to V8 proposals which leaves 1.5m to be spent on who knows what, netball, basketball, local carnivals?

This event is secured over a number of years, yes the proposed economic gains for Hamilton etc will be blown up, but in time the damage will be minimised...This first year where all the logistical plans are put in place and paid for will lead to an ease of the burdens for the years to come.

I do agree, VESA and promoters do need us the fans to keep the circus ticking...In respect to a round in NZ, Hamilton's public have supported it overwhelmingly and the council has rewarded them with an opportunity.

An opportunity that may hit bumps and hurdles but hey, what event that is brand new doesnt these days?
have a good look at hamilton city councils website just google it see if you can see what i see half a million gone on resourse consent process alone and the extra money required will no doubt come from rate payers and such like looks like another false economy to me just my opinion an like i said in eailer post hope they do pull it off and dont make a fool of them selves dont think it will go the seven year distance though think theyll run out of places to find the money within two to three years is my guess