Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Nov 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3690308)   #776
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't the best way to announce a manufacturer , lets please not try pulling the wool over peoples eyes by giving the Impression Vauxhall are seriously backing it, Its just another entry with some help from a back door at LUTON, if Vauxhall were serious it would have Vauxhall splashed all over it, good to have a new type of car but interesting to see how this PMR will go against a WSR ,a Motorbase, or a 888 or a BMR or a Ciceley , or a Dynamics, or a speedworks , remember there is less than 30% of a road car left in and NGTC platform

good to see a modern new model on the grid none the less makes
Old 22 Nov 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3690313)   #777
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great looking car and livery!
Old 22 Nov 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3690316)   #778
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Great looking car and livery!
have to agree looks stunning but the fact they plan to have them running by mid Feb only gives them about a month of testing so hoping they are competitive with that
Old 22 Nov 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3690318)   #779
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
So Vauxhall back in BTCC but no driver line-up yet?

http://www.btcc.net/2016/11/22/power...tcc-from-2017/
Old 22 Nov 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3690319)   #780
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
have to agree looks stunning but the fact they plan to have them running by mid Feb only gives them about a month of testing so hoping they are competitive with that
Its a new car, give them some time. Competativeness can come later during the season.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3690322)   #781
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Its a new car, give them some time. Competativeness can come later during the season.
Yes i am sure that will be the case but madly hoping they will go as fast as they look however i am sure that will also depend on driver lineup
Old 22 Nov 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3690324)   #782
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newsham in one?
Old 22 Nov 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3690326)   #783
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Well Dave Newsham will be one of the drivers of that I'm sure - the only thing in my mind that would stop this happening is financial backing. I do hope Dave does make a return, very nice bloke and a pretty good peddler.

Switching subject to the BKR gear up for sale - I'm adding 2+2 and coming up with no more BKR. This is exactly what RAR did this time last year - flog stuff!

On the other hand maybe BMR will reduce to less than 4 cars and surplus cars and equipment head to BKR?

I still think Turkington is not returning. Call it a gut feeling from a Speculating old git if you like!
Old 22 Nov 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3690334)   #784
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Or BKR could run BMR's privateer effort?
Old 22 Nov 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3690338)   #785
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So now PMR have announced the Vauxhall deal, how long before we hear where the Cruzes have gone? Tomorrow BTC Racing have something to tell us................................
Old 22 Nov 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3690339)   #786
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
So now PMR have announced the Vauxhall deal, how long before we hear where the Cruzes have gone? Tomorrow BTC Racing have something to tell us................................
Would love to see Chris Stockton back in one of them, i won't hold my breath though.
Old 22 Nov 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3690340)   #787
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post

Hopefully, it'll be Smileys all round..
Old 22 Nov 2016, 21:32 (Ref:3690342)   #788
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Hopefully, it'll be Smileys all round..

Well said 😉
Old 22 Nov 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3690369)   #789
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would rather expect an openly factory team to chose drivers on merit rather than money but we shall see, Turkington perhaps?

That would show real intent to win
Old 23 Nov 2016, 07:05 (Ref:3690425)   #790
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
The Dynamics cars only had Honda on the back this year.
Only the Subaru and MG had manufacturer names/logos on
Honda had a bit more that that! Yes the word 'HONDA' only appeared on the back, but they had the same big red Honda badges on the roof and 'Type R' branding on the sun strip exactly the same as they ran as a 'full' works team. Only difference was the change from Honda to Halfords in the 'sponsor' positions on the bonnet and doors (most people forget that Honda were the main sponsors alongside Yuasa).

The complete lack of Vauxhall logos/branding suggests they only got two free shells and an entry fee for the price of a fleet of Vivaros and Combos!

Heck, even Thorney ran Vauxhall badges and sun strips on the Insignia and they had no backing at all!

When the rumours of PMR bringing Vauxhall to the grid first emerged I was sceptical as their livery has always been too reliant on their own products. I could never see how a 'Manufacturer' could fit into it and not clash unless they stumped up a lot of cash to become main sponsor (then why would a manufacturer choose PMR over more established teams, I'm sure if they wanted to be in the BTCC so badly they could raise enough money to oust MG and get back into bed with 888?!)
Old 23 Nov 2016, 07:28 (Ref:3690427)   #791
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Aron Smith had a two year deal with BKR?
Old 23 Nov 2016, 07:41 (Ref:3690430)   #792
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
I thought Aron Smith had a two year deal with BKR?
I thought he did too, he certainly seemed very happy there!

No surprise to see Ollie Jackson staying at AmD, confirmed they are looking at running a 2nd car if possible.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 07:49 (Ref:3690433)   #793
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a couple of things to remember here; when BMR first announced Subaru, the original mock up had little or no Subaru branding.

Regarding getting back with 888 - as you say, MG is the main issue there, but also the fact that they work alongside BMR means you're unlikely to get a competitive advantage over the Subaru team. I still cannot understand why Subaru and MG seem to be happy with their race teams working together. As a manufacturer, I'd want to be as secretive as possible.

I would like to see the manufacturer / constructor championship re-named to just a manufacturer title, and ditch BMW, as WSR have claimed before that they are not a works team. Having said that, none of the 'works' teams are heavily funded anymore, so whether you can call any of them proper works teams anymore is debatable.

That said, it's great to see Vauxhall back, and new cars on the grid. The road going Astra is light, so should be easy to get to base-weight. Lets hope they get to very good drivers, otherwise the powerhouse that once was Vauxhall will get walked over by the likes of Honda and Subaru (and more!). Something like Goff and Onslow-Cole might be a good pairing, without having to fork out lots of ÂŁÂŁÂŁ for the likes of Menu / Gio.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3690435)   #794
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
Just a couple of things to remember here; when BMR first announced Subaru, the original mock up had little or no Subaru branding.
Just to clarify, below are some images that accompanied news stories of 'manufacturer' entries...

Old 23 Nov 2016, 08:22 (Ref:3690437)   #795
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just to clarify, below are some images that accompanied news stories of 'manufacturer' entries...

Absolutely what I was thinking. I imagine there will be a lot of PMR branding, as that's what they want to advertise, but I bet 'Vauxhall' and 'Astra' will be on there somewhere, as well as a logo or two!
Old 23 Nov 2016, 08:31 (Ref:3690439)   #796
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Honda picture is a 'spy shot' of them testing, not the announcement of a new works team.

MG has the 'MG' logo in a prominent position; front corner of car facing the camera. Look at the PR shots from when the team was first announced - taken with an MG branded backdrop (in a dealer showroom), with the two drivers in MG branded shirts, stood next to an MG.

WSR isn't a manufacturer team
Old 23 Nov 2016, 08:44 (Ref:3690442)   #797
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
That mock-up of the Astra is exactly that, a mock-up. The bodykit won't look exactly the same as that as I believe that is the TCR car. So the front arches will be much squarer and the rear wing and front splitter will be different no doubt.

Good news nontheless though about Vauxhall's support (even if it is minimal).

Actually Nigel, where does WSR stand in terms of works status? I thought TOCA effectively forced them to enter as a manufacturer a couple of seasons ago?
Old 23 Nov 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3690450)   #798
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd agree with the general consensus here - it's good to see Vauxhalls back on the grid but there obviously isn't a huge amount of money being thrown at it by Vauxhall. If there was Dave Newsham wouldn't be scrabbling around for sponsorship on social media.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3690458)   #799
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's 2016.

The car industry is going through massive change. There is political doubt. Marketing budgets have largely switched from exposure to measurable digital.

A manufacturer backed entry needs to be in combination with sponsorship.

Well done to Automotive Brands for choosing the BTCC as a promotional platform and getting a support deal together from Vauxhall. It will be great to see a brand with such heritage in the series back on the grid.

Old 23 Nov 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3690459)   #800
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think theres been a lot of "number 17 is on the side Dave Newsham has a btcc drive" going on

Hes said on all his social media that he is still struggling for financial support to get onto the grid next year. Still plenty of time left but i can imagine someone with a bigger cheque book than Dave will wiggle it and thats a car wih potential going to waste maybe