Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jul 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3751014)   #426
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also happened in '08. Only teams that won overall were the factory Audi Sport LMP1 team, the factory Penske Porsche team, and the heavily factory supported HPD teams, namely Highcroft and Andretti Autosport.

Granted, even in heavily BOP'd Grand Am Daytona Prototype racing it was often the better funded all-pro teams that won a lot of the time.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3751015)   #427
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also happen in '92.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3751016)   #428
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
And even then with Acura and Porsche p2's, Audi got a little bit fed up with the p2 guys being able to beat them. They are the customer type cars. Dpi is supposed to be that way but I can see it getting a bit more contentious as or if more manufacturers come to play. Even if they do come and nothing changes, won't matter to me. I just think it's a hypothetical thing.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 21:32 (Ref:3751017)   #429
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The thing that makes the driver ratings really untenable is that for the young underrated drivers they're in the position that driving to their full ability will actually reduce their career prospects. There's all those rules in F1, NASCAR, and IndyCar about drivers trying their hardest but most of sports car racing (and GT classes especially) promotes intentionally aiming for mediocrity.

The only way to deal with it seems to be running the same cars with multiple driver categories. Even if you run a slightly lower cost alternative like the older model cars in GTE Am you'll get teams racing there for the lower budget and not the amateur component.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3751021)   #430
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, not ideal. It's there to encourage more entrants. It's a little thing to encourage the real Am silvers or bronze with cash!

Assuming that we require these entrants to sustain the series we like, and we may even think they add value to the series, we can only hope they try to refine the process.

To that end the FIA are getting a couple of ex-drivers in to contribute to the process.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...r-ratings-role
Old 13 Jul 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3751030)   #431
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would be Joest Team the other DPi project with an Oreca Audi/Lambo/Bentley?

Just rumors at the moment, but I would love to see Joest with a DPi.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3751034)   #432
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oreca will have some serious difficulty with making all these new chassis, plus any teams wanting to buy a new chassis to be competitive for LM. Rebellion had problems getting their 3rd chassis this year and I'm guessing they will want a new one to have a spare after they binned one early this season. Or have they repaired that chassis?
Old 14 Jul 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3751036)   #433
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post

If you believe the guy peddling the rumor, Oreca
Old 14 Jul 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3751041)   #434
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
If you believe the guy peddling the rumor, Oreca
I think if any of the VAG family go the DPi route it will be atop a Dallara chassis.

L.P.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 02:26 (Ref:3751057)   #435
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I think if any of the VAG family go the DPi route it will be atop a Dallara chassis.
Yes? Why do you think that? Because the Oreca's delivery schedule or because other thing?

Oreca have the R-one experience, and Dallara the Caddy and the future SMP.

Which one have a better base is US to offer better support?
Old 14 Jul 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3751059)   #436
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes? Why do you think that? Because the Oreca's delivery schedule or because other thing?

I'm guessing he's referring to the Dallara/Audi history
Old 14 Jul 2017, 03:19 (Ref:3751061)   #437
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Dallara have an extensive winning pedigree in prototype racing in association with VAG. They also at the moment are the chassis to beat in IMSA's P class. Dallara built the Audi R8 through R15 chassis and have over a decade doing so. Dallara has quite an extensive presence in the US including mfg facilities.
https://www.dallara.it/wps/portal/en...e#.WWg2gelGlEY

L.P.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 03:37 (Ref:3751062)   #438
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Dallara have an extensive winning pedigree in prototype racing in association with VAG. They also at the moment are the chassis to beat in IMSA's P class. Dallara built the Audi R8 through R15 chassis and have over a decade doing so.

L.P.
Forget not the 333SP....

jimclark
Old 14 Jul 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3751063)   #439
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Dallara have an extensive winning pedigree in prototype racing in association with VAG. They also at the moment are the chassis to beat in IMSA's P class. Dallara built the Audi R8 through R15 chassis and have over a decade doing so. Dallara has quite an extensive presence in the US including mfg facilities.
https://www.dallara.it/wps/portal/en...e#.WWg2gelGlEY

L.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Forget not the 333SP....
I also forgot that they did some of the R18(s).

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 14 Jul 2017 at 04:05.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3751085)   #440
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The 2011-2013 R18 (first generation) was Dallara. 2014 onwards was YCOM.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3751160)   #441
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only issue I have with the Dallara argument is that Audi Sport haven't had much to do with Dallara on the prototype side since 2013 when their contract with Dallara ended and they switched to YCom, who were supplying components to Audi Sport since at least 2008 and IIRC was itself a Dallara off-shoot.

Granted, not that I follow DTM (which I consider to be German NASCAR with quasi spec cars that use carbon tubs rather than ladder frame/tube frame chassis), but does/didn't Dallara also have something to do with Audi's DTM program?

Outside of LM (where Oreca dominated) the Dallara P217 has been a competitive car, but we have to remember that the changes that GM made to it for the Cadillac DPI were driven as much by--if not more--to gain a competitive advantage as brand identity. And we know that if Audi Sport do have a DPI program in the pipeline, it won't matter the base car (the Riley MK30 excluded for obvious reasons), but they'll probably do at least as good a job as Cadillac have done.

Of course, I'd argue that if Audi want a DPI program next year, they either have it underway or it will have to be soon, if you look at the Acura/HPD DPI and Cadillac DPI timelines. But even in the days of social media, Audi and Audi Sport have done a better job than about anyone else as far as keeping projects a secret. But as I said, even though there's been rumors for several months, none of them, in my opinion at least, have been as strong as the Penske/HPD deal. Whether or not it's due to the Audi DPI being wishful thinking based on reports that Audi Sport looked at it but decided against it or it's underwraps, we probably won't know for a while to come.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3751162)   #442
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe it, but
Old 14 Jul 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3751167)   #443
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
woow, didn't know that the R series was built by Dallara, it's a surprise for me. I thought it was built directly by Audi.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3751170)   #444
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
woow, didn't know that the R series was built by Dallara, it's a surprise for me. I thought it was built directly by Audi.
R8C was Peter Elleray/RTN. The R8R though to the 2013 R18 built by Dallara (although not always designed by them). 2014-2016 were built by Ycom.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3751203)   #445
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Dallara never designed any of the Audi LMPs, the design was by Audi Sport. Dallara was the contractor who did the production. RTN was a division of Audi Sport/Volkswagen Group from 1997-2007 when Audi Sport/VAG sold it off.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3751244)   #446
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
You think CORE could be dumped as the factory team for Porsche? Maybe that is the change that is needed now. Not R.L.L with BMW.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3751251)   #447
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Dallara never designed any of the Audi LMPs, the design was by Audi Sport. Dallara was the contractor who did the production. RTN was a division of Audi Sport/Volkswagen Group from 1997-2007 when Audi Sport/VAG sold it off.
Nonetheless, Audi had the faith to let 'em build 'em; same as Ferrarri with the 333.

jimclark
Old 14 Jul 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3751268)   #448
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
You think CORE could be dumped as the factory team for Porsche? Maybe that is the change that is needed now. Not R.L.L with BMW.
I guess this means you think they aren't up to snuff? I'm not sure they have been underperforming the last few years. Compared to their competition, their car has been the least best, and Porsche seems to just shuffle drivers in and out of those cars at will. In past seasons when Porsche had IMSA success they had steady driver lineups, which i think contributed to the success. As a comparison, how have the Porsches fared in WEC competition over the same time period?

The new car seems to have speed but hasn't had the reliability thus far.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3751274)   #449
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Core doesn't run the gtlm cars anymore, do they?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jul 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3751278)   #450
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Core doesn't run the gtlm cars anymore, do they?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
They do, apparently.