Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Jun 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3737940)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
2017 Chevrolet Sports Car Classic(IMSA @ Detroit) - June 02-03

P, PC, and GTD cars will race in support of the Verizon Indycar Series this weekend on the streets of Detroit for a 1hr, 40min contest. 28 cars will represent the three classes in competition, and will we see Wayne Taylor Racing go 5-for-5 to start the season?

GTLM is not competing due to the upcoming Le Mans test days.

The race will be broadcast on Fox Sports 2 from 12:30p to 2:30p ET

Essentials:

IMSA Radio

IMSA WSC Spotter Guide

Entry List for WSC(28 cars)

Event Schedule(at bottom of page)

Detroit, MI Weekend Weather

Track Layout:

Track Graphics c/o RacingCircuits.info

Last Years Race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7if66WUfvI
Old 1 Jun 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3737942)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for starting this thread, I almost forgot there was a race this weekend!

The big question for me is if anyone can actually get in front of the Caddy's with the recent BOP adjustment. Nissan should be able to, but I'm in a wait and see mode. The Caddy's have battle through every adjustment so far this year.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3737959)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Yeah with GTLM not running, Detroit is always the least interesting event of the entire WeatherTech series calendar. I'll have slight more interest this time though because of the quality of the GTD field and also due to the fact that IMSA decided to throw a monkey wrench in the Cadillac fleet through this weird BoP change. I'll be cheering for WTR to win again and also in GTD for Acura and Lexus to do something right this time.

The IMSA Lexus team especially needs to see how their counterparts in Europe are destroying the GT open field winning every race. I think they know they can do better. They got the car to win that's for sure.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3737971)   #4
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
What was the latest bop change?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3737972)   #5
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
What was the latest bop change?
Smaller restrictor, 2 liters off fuel capacity and drastic restrictions to rear aero settings.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3737997)   #6
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I predict a Mazda pole! But not a race win
Old 2 Jun 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3738107)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Early practice this morning for the imsa cars. I don't expect anyone to show their cards in this first session, but listening to the cars is a great way to start the day!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3738144)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://results.imsa.com/Results/17_2...03_Results.PDF

FP1 results.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3738160)   #9
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I guess now that we can conclude that, even though Detroit is a street circuit where mechanical grip is more important than aero or power, that the Caddy teams are just the best out there right now? I do think that their advantage, aside from Daytona, has been down to getting their cars up and running before anyone else did.

And yes, I know that GM probably have put more resources into their program than Mazda and Nissan are, but BOP is supposed to mitigate that. The Cadillac DPI teams simply have more miles and experience with their cars.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3738171)   #10
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I guess now that we can conclude that, even though Detroit is a street circuit where mechanical grip is more important than aero or power, that the Caddy teams are just the best out there right now? I do think that their advantage, aside from Daytona, has been down to getting their cars up and running before anyone else did.

And yes, I know that GM probably have put more resources into their program than Mazda and Nissan are, but BOP is supposed to mitigate that. The Cadillac DPI teams simply have more miles and experience with their cars.
Yeah, that's been the theory since Daytona. Cadillac has the best teams. Full stop. Now when Penske and Honda enter, the game is upped. Cadillac waiting for Honda is the same as Audi waiting for Porsche in the last decade.

Chris
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3738172)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Caddy advantage is everywhere. The car was finished before the others were. The engine is miles better than the Mazda, and better than the Nissan. The level the teams are at is higher than Mazda and Nissan. The drivers are better. The BoP was in their favour at Daytona.

I can't think of one thing that any of the other cars is better at than the Caddys.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3738177)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Are Cadillac's teams Audi or Porsche or TMG good? I sort of doubt it (and may be impossible to judge due to different formulas between DPI and LMP1, and WTR and AXR are still more of a privateer outfit than Audi Sport Team Joest, Porsche Motorsport, or TMG) but WTR and AXR have the best support, the best drivers available, backing from a car maker that's taken DPI more seriously than others as far as playing to win, and a chassis supplied by the guys who made the Audi R8, R10, R15 and the 2011-2013 R18.

To say that Dallara didn't benefit from the experience with working with Audi Sport through the years is selling them short. Even their LM spec car, especially the nose, barrows from ideas that Audi used on the R18 last year (though Dallara had nothing directly to do with it), and the Dallara with the Gibson engine has fared well in the LMS. Giving it a beefier engine would only make an already very good car better.

I hesitate to say that GM/WTR/AXR would be doing as well, let alone any better with an Oreca or Ligier, and the Riley has really been pretty anonymous in DPI so far outside of Mazda's issues.

Last edited by chernaudi; 2 Jun 2017 at 17:51.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3738182)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
WTR are the defacto factory Cadillac team. AXR purchase the car as a customer.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3738188)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Even if you're gonna call WTR a factory team, they're no more a factory team than Champion Racing was in the Audi R8 days (2001-2005). Even IMSA considered them a privateer team back then.

Also, what have Audi, Porsche, and even TMG done that WTR hasn't (yet)? Have the car maker or its motorsport arm be the main sponsor of the team.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3738190)   #15
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
3/4 the way through Practice 2 and it's a Caddy 1-2-3 with the #70 Mazda in fourth about .7 back. No one saw this coming
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3738198)   #16
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Trying to determine the depths of the Cadillac's sand bags is starting to feel like some sort of cosmic horror.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3738209)   #17
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Are Cadillac's teams Audi or Porsche or TMG good? I sort of doubt it (and may be impossible to judge due to different formulas between DPI and LMP1, and WTR and AXR are still more of a privateer outfit than Audi Sport Team Joest, Porsche Motorsport, or TMG) but WTR and AXR have the best support, the best drivers available, backing from a car maker that's taken DPI more seriously than others as far as playing to win, and a chassis supplied by the guys who made the Audi R8, R10, R15 and the 2011-2013 R18.

To say that Dallara didn't benefit from the experience with working with Audi Sport through the years is selling them short. Even their LM spec car, especially the nose, barrows from ideas that Audi used on the R18 last year (though Dallara had nothing directly to do with it), and the Dallara with the Gibson engine has fared well in the LMS. Giving it a beefier engine would only make an already very good car better.

I hesitate to say that GM/WTR/AXR would be doing as well, let alone any better with an Oreca or Ligier, and the Riley has really been pretty anonymous in DPI so far outside of Mazda's issues.
They also rule the world of national single-seater racing for a reason. Dallara is an excellent firm who make great cars.

On the subject of FP2, I'm glad to see the VFR guys in fourth, and better than Nissan and Mazda. I was going to throw some shade in my previous post about Caddy taking the best teams. For whatever reason VFR didn't make the cut - perhaps only because of WTR's preexisting relationship with Dallara. But they certainly have looked the lowest of the ex-Corvette teams, due in part to the Riley package, but to see them the best of the rest is great! I expected them to be best of the rest from the start of the year, and I've been disappointed with their season to date.

Chris
Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3738211)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
They also rule the world of national single-seater racing for a reason. Dallara is an excellent firm who make great cars.

On the subject of FP2, I'm glad to see the VFR guys in fourth, and better than Nissan and Mazda. I was going to throw some shade in my previous post about Caddy taking the best teams. For whatever reason VFR didn't make the cut - perhaps only because of WTR's preexisting relationship with Dallara. But they certainly have looked the lowest of the ex-Corvette teams, due in part to the Riley package, but to see them the best of the rest is great! I expected them to be best of the rest from the start of the year, and I've been disappointed with their season to date.

Chris
I think VFR's wanting to go to LM was the clincher for them going with a global spec car instead of down the DPi route.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3738212)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think VFR's wanting to go to LM was the clincher for them going with a global spec car instead of down the DPi route.
Possibly, but you need not run a car for the full season to be competitive at Le Mans. See Ben Keating, he has the AMG GT3 car for the full season, and is running a P2 car at Le Mans. Scuderia Corse is doing the same, albeit a 488 GT3 and GTE/LM are at least in the same family.

As I recall VFR was pursuing a DPi program fairly hard (not Cadillac) and lost out on it. The manufacturer was very likely to work with the Riley-Multimatic.

Chris
Old 2 Jun 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3738223)   #20
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone else unable to get the quali stream? Okay, there it is.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3738225)   #21
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The Lexus is looking good around Belle Isle...

(awaits incoming congratulatory post)

Edit - Aschenbach takes pole. Great late surge from Legge to take 2nd.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3738226)   #22
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow .... been waiting for Kat Legge and the Acura to come good.

Stevenson .... no surprise, Sellers ... no surprise ... Pruett .... toss-up if he or Legge would have been better.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3738229)   #23
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Am I wrong for being surprised by Lexus' pace?

Chris
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3738231)   #24
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Can someone please find a way to allow fast forwarding during PC qualifying???
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:40 (Ref:3738233)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

PC quali ... oh, you mean bathroom/dinner break.