Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Aug 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3846797)   #1
BigDawg
Rookie

BigDawg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you know how quick you can take a corner?

Now I know that on straights, you can theoretically go a limitless speed, and you won't spin out.

But when it comes to corners, with Newton's Laws of Motion & Centripetal Forces, etc... you can only go so quick, before your tyres will lose grip.

So I'm wondering: how do you know how quick your car can take a corner?
What do you use as a reference to work how fast you can go, and where the limit is? (or at least, when you're getting close to the limit!)

Thanks for any responses
Old 29 Aug 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3846821)   #2
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Practise.

Pick a braking point, turning point and exit point (circuit guides are great for starting points for those) and then just keep experimenting (usually braking point as turning points are generally the same for everyone) until you're spinning, scaring yourself too much or comprising the entry to the next corner!

There are only so many different types of corners so it usually only takes two or three laps of a new track to work out the basics and then it's fine tuning from there.

Data logging and video is great for working out what works best after the session. Doesn't need to be expensive or complex. I use an AIM Solo with a Hero 3 and that gives me all the data I need to work out where I made time and where I lost time.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3846848)   #3
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always reckon the simplest questions have the most complicated answers and vice versa! That's a monster of a question!

To take the theoretical first as that's implied in your question - it's complicated. You can get somewhere with the concept of a coefficient of friction combined with knowing the radius that you're trying to turn. Good tyres will give you over 1 g centripetal acceleration on a good flat surface in the dry. In reality, tyres don't have a simple constant coefficient of friction - nothing does really because it's a simplification used when teaching physics to GCSE students! In fact, setting up a car with different springs and anti-roll bars wouldn't work like it does if there was a simple coefficient of friction. To really understand it you could get Alan Staniforth's book on the subject as a starter but then there are proper university level text books on vehicle dynamics - I don't have the references to hand but I'm sure you could find better more modern ones than mine on Amazon. Suffice to say that, to get proper answer to your question requires a lot of data from the tyre manufacturer as well as car data. There are people doing that sort of thing but it gets very advanced and the vast majority of professional teams, never mind club level, would regard it all as way too theoretical.

So - to the practicalities then. As already said, practice is what gets people there. It's not just a case to going faster and faster until you spin. If you build up the speed progressively you start to feel the tyres get to their limit and you can get pretty good at feeling what's going on. Bear in mind that camber and changes of gradient have a significant effect as does the amount of braking or acceleration (longitudinal) you are applying - look up traction circle or ellipse on the internet - there are some good YouTube videos by Scott Mansell you could look at. Of course, wet track, high downforce, type of tyres etc. all have a huge influence.

The reason that you can feel the grip limit in the tyres is because the relationship between the centripetal force and the angle that the tyre makes to the direction of travel (the slip angle) is non-linear. Indeed, it reaches a maximum and then reduces as you try to corner harder and harder. In principle, you should be able to find that maximum without losing control. Ha, that's where all the fun is!

Basically, the answer to your question would fill a text book on the theory side or take a good many laps with a race instructor on the practical side.

Scott

Last edited by snailpace85; 29 Aug 2018 at 09:40.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3847097)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
It came as something of a surprise to me after about 40 years of road driving to realise when I started track racing that I had no idea how to work out how fast I could take a corner, where to brake and how hard, etc, and of course 10 years on I'm still learning. Its often an amazement to look at my lap times and realise I've done one lap maybe 2 seconds quicker than any other....without the faintest idea why I suppose the aforementioned datalogging and video is the answer, but doubt I'll get round to it
Old 30 Aug 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3847150)   #5
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then there's aero!

I'll never forget the sight of Rosberg ripping through Paddock in his Williams FW08C. The faster he drove, the more the car was sucked to the ground!

Different times.....
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3849702)   #6
BigDawg
Rookie

BigDawg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the tip guys.

Are ordinary road cars likely to experience much extra downforce at higher speeds (e.g. - say >100 mph)?

Or is that something you only get with big wings, splitters, etc?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 23:08 (Ref:3849742)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Ordinary road cars experience lift, rather than downforce. Those fitted with wings etc can achieve reductions in lift or even neutral (no lift) results.

Some very high-end performance cars do develop actual downforce but they're a rarity and not cheap.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3849793)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
There are a lot of "tricks" that you can do to on a saloon car to get rid of unnecessary high speed lift without resorting to air dams etc. I experimented with this a lot and found a fair bit of lap speed time at long fast circuits like Silverstone and Spa.
Outwardly there is no way that the car looked anything other than "normal" and would take a very good eligibility scrutineer to spot anything "untoward"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 May 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3901256)   #9
ydd
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
ydd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traction circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
Now I know that on straights, you can theoretically go a limitless speed, and you won't spin out.

But when it comes to corners, with Newton's Laws of Motion & Centripetal Forces, etc... you can only go so quick, before your tyres will lose grip.

So I'm wondering: how do you know how quick your car can take a corner?
What do you use as a reference to work how fast you can go, and where the limit is? (or at least, when you're getting close to the limit!)

Thanks for any responses
Are you familiar with the concept of the "traction circle" ?

You can express tyre "grip" in terms of lateral or longitudinal acceleration (commonly known as "g-force").

If you imagine your race car has a certain capacity to generate g-forces but only up to a limit.

To go as quickly as possible, your job as a racing driver is actually simply to keep your car at the limit of its acceleration potential - i.e. to keep your car at the cars maximum possible g-force limits.

To work out if you are doing this, you can measure the g-forces in the car, using a data logger, and see if you are maximising the cars potential.

There is a bit more to it, and it does take a bit of getting your head around but essentially that is how you can work out how quick your car can take a corner.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 06:37 (Ref:4017814)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Point to remember is that its the driver that makes the mistakes,not the car.
You need to develop a 'feel' for what the car is doing.Tryes starting to scrub is the first pointer that you are getting close to their limit of adhesion.On their limits the car becomes loaded,weight transfer to the outside of every corner,when you actually feel that you are being forced against one side of your seat.
That force should translate into feel,you start to learn the cars behavior.
Its a long learning curve,that can only be learnt by driving quickly,not only in a straight line.
Old 21 Nov 2020, 17:10 (Ref:4018186)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on Terry.
Old 21 Nov 2020, 17:36 (Ref:4018189)   #12
speedcraft
Rookie

speedcraft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used the concept of a 3D traction/friction circle to help drivers realize that 'the limit' is not a cliff that they will fall off of if they make a tiny error when exploring the limit; it's just an optimum point on a much larger continuum of tire performance ranging from almost no drift angle to scrubbing the tire sideways across the track.

The 3D traction circle (and it's relationship to the traditional 2D traction circle) are explained on pages 18-25 in this document.