Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 27 Aug 2003, 22:46 (Ref:701239)   #1
taylov
Rookie

taylov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heinz Brendel

Can anyone assist with information on the post-war career of Heinz Brendel, one of the 1939 Mercedes-Benz reserve drivers? Any information on his later life would also be welcomed.

Tony
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:30 (Ref:701285)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This any use? Or did you know all this already?
Quote:
Heinz Brendel (D)
16 Jan 1915 -
Supported by his father, who also was a racing driver, Brendel started racing at an age of 17. In 1935, he started in his first major race, the Eifelrennen, finishing second in the 1.1-liter sports car class. More victories came with a 1.1 litre Fiat in local events before Brendel was invited to the Mercedes "driver school" at the Nürburgring. There he crashed a W25 GP car, suffering minor injuries while the car started burning. For 1937, Neubauer selected him to join in the tests at Monza and he signed for the team as a reserve driver. Tested the Mercedes-Benz W125 during practice for the German GP 1937. Entered the German GP 1939 as fourth driver. He made a sensational practice session and started 5th on the grid. During the race he was asked to come in to give over the car to Lang but instead he continued and crashed. When he phoned for someone to pick him up, Neubauer replied that Brendel could start walking. That proved to be the only race of his GP career. Shortly after the race during a training session at Nürburgring, the saddle tank caught fire at Döttinger Höhe. Brendel just had enough time to steer into the low bushes and jump from the moving car, waking up the next day at hospital. He was nominated as reserve driver for the Swiss GP. After the war, Brendel raced an 1.1 litre Porsche.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/db.htm

Best place to ask might be here: I'm sure "Uechtel" and "McRonalds" will know something. How's your German?

http://www.f1welt.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Bob Marley
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:27 (Ref:701549)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did a search for you on the forum I quoted: just one post-War reference. Brendel won an 1100cc Sports Car race at AVUS on September 28th 1952:

Sportwagen bis 1.100-ccm
1. Heinz Brendel / Porsche
2. Kurt Sauter / Sauter Stanguellini
3. Hans Finke / VW Spezial
4. Paul Bulla / Porsche

Co-incidentally, the 1500cc sports car race on the same programme was won by his erstwhile Mercedes-Benz team-mate Hans-Hugo Hartmann in a Borgward.

Bob Marley
Old 28 Aug 2003, 15:52 (Ref:701938)   #4
taylov
Rookie

taylov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to "Vitesse".
Your data on the 1952 AVUS race are new to me. Brendel does not appear in the entry for the following year's Avusrennen (1953. A web search reveals he tried to race at the 1953 Le Mans, first, with von Berkein in a Porsche 356, the entry for whch was not accepted.

Brendel was then was listed as a reserve driver for car #45, the Porsche 550 of Frere and Von Frankenberg but it seems he never drove the car.

Any more details would be welcome. I assume from the lack of evidence otherwise that Heinz Brendel is still alive in his 80s. Does anyone know?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 17:54 (Ref:702047)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Tony.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:25 (Ref:702074)   #6
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brendel was 1952 German 1100 sportscar champion at the wheel of a Glöckler-Porsche, winning at the Eifelrennen 25/5 and Essen 20/7 as well as at the Avusrennen 29/9.
He was entered to drive a works Porsche 550 with Polensky in the 1953 Le Mans 24hrs but the entry was scratched.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 22:02 (Ref:702201)   #7
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
David: I'm sure you're a day out on that AVUS date. September 29th was a Monday. Plus, on the Yesterday Forum, there's a picture of the programme!

Bob Marley
Old 29 Aug 2003, 05:33 (Ref:702356)   #8
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Vitesse
I noted the variance from the date in this thread but left mine in in the hope of drawing a reaction
I shall adjust my records accordingly