Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 12 Dec 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1177634)   #1
karting legend
Rookie

karting legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What kart does everyone think is the best and why??

I personally want to know what kart chassis do you think is the best. I would like a reason for your answer. I have tested alot of kart chassis` for the Rotax MAX classes and have found that the Intrepid (silverstone) chassis is very good.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1177802)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when you ask which chassis is the best, do you mean for the Rotax Max class? And when you say best can I presume you mean quickest?
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1177804)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From an engineers point of view (not karting) I think the Swiss Hutless is beautifully made.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1177806)   #4
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
++ from a drivers point of view the Swiss Hutless karts are damn good, but having compared a 2004 chassis to a 2002 chassis in a back to back test, I prefered & went quicker in the 2002 "Corsa"

So maybe they're going backwards...
Old 13 Dec 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1178092)   #5
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intrepids are good but will last you a max three race meetings then they're no good. Maranello's have been very quick over the last couple of years and are well built thought out chassis, there 2005 chassis came out around 6weeks ago which is supposed to good although i've not tried it yet but last years RS1 was quick. There is also the ever reliable Tony Kart always gauranteed to be competitive and easy to setup.
Not one chasssis is better than another all of the time, it all depends on track, weather and most importantly the drvers personal preference.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1178223)   #6
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Birel when ever i go to a race meeting where Rotax Max race the birels are always near the front!?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1178731)   #7
karting legend
Rookie

Yes I am talking about the best kart chassis for the rotax classes and the quickest kart. Birel is very strong in the wet. But really i do not agree with that Intrepids go off after three races. It is simply that the intrepid doesnt work as well in the colder weather, or wetter weather. My Intrepid lasted around a year and was still very fast, and didnt go off. Maranello is also a very competitive chassis. The birel I find lacks the quick lap times on the dryer warmer track!
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1178743)   #8
karting legend
Rookie

what do you also think of the tecno chassis
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1179073)   #9
toot toot
Racer

[QUOTE=karting legend]. But really i do not agree with that Intrepids go off after three races. It is simply that the intrepid doesnt work as well in the colder weather, or wetter weather. My Intrepid lasted around a year and was still very fast, and didnt go off. [QUOTE]

The reason it is doesn't work well in colder and wet conditions is that it is too soft, and that is because it is worn out.

Personally for max next year i would have the new Tony Kart (can't remember what it's called) or failing that the Maranello. But it should be down to the drivers personal preference and driving style, but you can bet your boots that the TonyKart will win both Jnr and Snr super1 classes.

P.S. The tecno's are legendary, i'm sure Jenson will agree.

Last edited by toot toot; 14 Dec 2004 at 11:03.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1179078)   #10
karting legend
Rookie

How do YOU know that the Intrepid is softer than other types of chassis
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1179097)   #11
toot toot
Racer

It's not made from as strong materials as most other chassis's, which means it wears out quicker, which makes it softer, which is why it is good for three races maximum, and less competitive in the wet and cold where a stiff chassis is required.

TECNO

Last edited by toot toot; 14 Dec 2004 at 11:40.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1180016)   #12
Tom Horley
Racer

Tom Horley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could make any one of about 10 karts go a very similar pace if you put in enough time and money testing. Some karts are easy to set-up straight away and some need a bit more work.

Maranellos are very good karts and from my experiance are easier to set-up than the CRG which you really need to work and find the sweet-spot. I have heard the Birel is similar to the CRG in being tricky to set-up.

Next years TonyKarts are the Racer EV and the Kinex.

Alot of people say TonyKarts are the best cos they win alot, but there are just as many at the front of the grid as in the middle and at the back! Its just that there are alot around and when you ahve more drivers on the karts, there will be more people working on set-up etc. etc.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1180072)   #13
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Just while everyone's on the subject of karts, I wonder if any of you know which of the 2005 karts are looking promising for the 125 gearbox classes?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1180327)   #14
Tom Horley
Racer

CRG Road Rebel 125 if u can get hold of one.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1180337)   #15
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
cool cheers, what about the birels? or is crg THE one?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1180620)   #16
Tom Horley
Racer

I dont really know about Birels, they obviously work well abroad but that means nothing in england. I know the Maranellos definately work well in england and the lastest Road Rebel is also really good.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1180628)   #17
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ICC Karts

The CIK type chassis that were successful in Super 4 and NKF last season were the Birel, Tony, Kosmic and Energy (also won European ICC title). I think there was only one CRG and not very high up but that may not be a reflection of the chassis. We've used one once (in Max) and it seemed all right.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1180897)   #18
toot toot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horley
You could make any one of about 10 karts go a very similar pace if you put in enough time and money testing. Some karts are easy to set-up straight away and some need a bit more work.

Alot of people say TonyKarts are the best cos they win alot, but there are just as many at the front of the grid as in the middle and at the back! Its just that there are alot around and when you ahve more drivers on the karts, there will be more people working on set-up etc. etc.
I agree that some karts are easier to set up than others and the TonyKart is probably the easiest to extract the the most from, which is one reason why it is so successful.
Yes there are more TonyKarts than anything else, but in my opinion that is because slow people buy them because it is what they see win the most, if people didn't win on them all the time then others wouldn't buy them.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1180971)   #19
Tom Horley
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot toot
I agree that some karts are easier to set up than others and the TonyKart is probably the easiest to extract the the most from, which is one reason why it is so successful.
Yes there are more TonyKarts than anything else, but in my opinion that is because slow people buy them because it is what they see win the most, if people didn't win on them all the time then others wouldn't buy them.
Yes very true, but the slow people, as you say, soon find out that although they have bought the kart that people are winning on, it wont make them a winner too. Were now coming down to the fact that however good a kart is, you still need a good driver and engine also.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1181045)   #20
toot toot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horley
Were now coming down to the fact that however good a kart is, you still need a good driver and engine also.
There is more difference and more time to be found in drivers than any chassis or engine. I suppose the drivers at the front in max could be on a few different chassis' and still be at the front. But i'll always say you can't go wrong with a TonyKart.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1181119)   #21
Tom Horley
Racer

That is what i originally said. You can make any one of 10 chassis as quick as each other. A good driver will do well on any of the leading manufacturers karts. Yes your right you cant go wrong with a Tonykart, but if you put in work with other karts then maybe you can beat them, not join them.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1183409)   #22
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why & how is there so much difference between the different types of Chassis? My son has just started in Cadet's and I'm looking to buy one for him but it's simply a minefield, there are SOO many to choose from. I thought these things had minimal set up anyway, what am I missing?
Old 20 Dec 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1184072)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
There's not really that much difference at all. With the same engine on & same driver, most chassis should be able to lap within half a second.
Hmm the setup I wouldn't really call minimal, it's rather expansive and complicated when you get into it. Obviously there's tyre pressures, then you've got torsion bars, weight distribution, ride height, castor/camber, track, various things to alter chassis stiffness such as seat stays and so on.
The best chassis is the chassis which you personally decide is the best
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1185364)   #24
Tom Horley
Racer

Ignore the last post as in cadets you wont have to worry about torsion bars too much as they are only allowed a fixed bar at the front which you can't change so that only leaves the rear. I'm also pretty sure your not allowed caster/camber kits in cadets.

The Zip cadet chassis has proved to be the best over the last 10 years I think you will find.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1185367)   #25
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly their fields are filled with them. Good to go with the most popular too as there will be plenty of people around to help you out.