Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Oct 2000, 07:25 (Ref:43290)   #126
sunbeam73
Rookie

England
MULBARTON, near NORWICH
sunbeam73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A Rover Vitesse on opposite lock for the length of the straight... Peter Mallett's Capri coming out of a corner with an RX7 and a Sunbeam Lotus INCHES from his rear bumper...

Not quite a Sunbeam Lotus, a 1600 Ti, had a really great race with Pete, good, fair manouvres together and we never traded any paintwork. I had loadsa fun for the entire race.
Cheers Pete, hopefully you will race again next year.

http://www.sunbeam73.co.
Old 17 Oct 2000, 11:36 (Ref:43312)   #127
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't the same Sunbeam that raced last year at Cadwell in Stock Hatches is it???

If it is, one word - sideways...

I was marshalling there last summer, I should think the tyres were well worn..

Sunbeams seem to be a dying breed of race car, not many left these days..
Old 17 Oct 2000, 13:03 (Ref:43321)   #128
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very entertaining race. My only way of improving on my 3rd in class in the c/ship was to punt the XR3 off, set fastest lap and win the class. A tall order indeed, especially when I qualified 2 seconds off of Seans lap time!

Come the race, I was an easy 2nd in class with spnixon's Golf in front, I was getting impatient and decided on an opportunistic outbraking manouvere at Russells - result - a trip over the gravel and 2 cars spinning behind me. 2 laps later (and not learnt my lesson) decided to have a go at a Rover Sd1 at the same place - result - me spinning backwards toward the tyre wall on the infield, then heading for the pit wall and ending up on the outfield. I got a round of applause for that one

Glad to see that the 10-tenths crowd were kept amused and it was nice to meet all you folks. BTW Legends are still not *real* cars and a Mini would be an excellant idea

I agree about the declining numbers of Sunbeams. They are well represented on the rally and hillclimbing events but I believe that Sean and I are the only two idiots that are campaigning Ti's in the uk (on a circuit based championship). There are a couple of Lotus Sunbeam's in ModProds/Super Road Saloons.

Along with some 10-tenths members (sunbeam73, spnixon, stacy) I'll be at the Birkett 6 hour, attempting to stay on the track this time!
Old 17 Oct 2000, 13:44 (Ref:43326)   #129
sunbeam73
Rookie

England
MULBARTON, near NORWICH
sunbeam73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sunbeam

"This isn't the same Sunbeam that raced last year at Cadwell in Stock Hatches is it???
If it is, one word - sideways...
I was marshalling there last summer, I should think the tyres were well worn.. "

Yes it is that Sunbeam, the brakes were well and truly shot at Cadwell, after the first race the rear shoes were like weetabix and the fronts were stuffed. It was in fact suicidal to take part in the second event, the brakes were just about working on one side and this put me into a half spin before the hairpin which i collected and gave a bootful of throttle in response to, to the delight of the crowd, tyres were in fact fine! there's a pic of this moment on http://www.sunbeam73.co.uk/gallery.htm

Sean
Old 17 Oct 2000, 23:28 (Ref:43369)   #130
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD And I'll not have a word said against Danielsun. Most excellent company for the journey back to London, whiling away the traffic jams on the M11.[/B]
He was like that with us too... to start with...
Old 18 Oct 2000, 19:44 (Ref:43484)   #131
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't recall whether I've said this before, Craig, but...

ARSE!!!!!!!!!

Mallett, Guy: please say you'll both be back next year. I just don't think the BTCC can keep us all going...
Old 18 Oct 2000, 23:42 (Ref:43522)   #132
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's what you make of it, Dan. I remember people saying that about the Touring Cars at the beginning of this year. Well, I have thoroughly enjoyed the season.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 16:44 (Ref:44751)   #133
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, post last week's Autosport and the Motor Show (seeing the Astra in the flesh) I've changed my stance on BTCC 2001. But I won't step down from saying the classic sports and touring cars are still better than the new ones in terms of excitement. No downforce. Ain't that right, Mr Guy? Hehehe...
Old 27 Oct 2000, 19:55 (Ref:45234)   #134
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by sunbeam73
Not quite a Sunbeam Lotus, a 1600 Ti, had a really great race with Pete, good, fair manouvres together and we never traded any paintwork. I had loadsa fun for the entire race.
Cheers Pete, hopefully you will race again next year.

http://www.sunbeam73.co.
It was a pleasure Sean. We came close to "paintwork" but it just proves if you can trust your opponent you can put in some good racing. Well done for the class win. Look forward to seeing you pick your trophy up at the Dinner Dance in January.

BTW. If anybody wants to go to this and mingle with some of the UK's most er, esoteric? racers, its on January 27th at the Swallow hotel in Bournemouth.

It was great to see the crowd there. Thanks for all the encouragement.
Old 28 Oct 2000, 15:13 (Ref:45407)   #135
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still sorry I couldn't make this one, sounds like lots of fun was had by all.
You'll just have to make sure you post details of next years calendar so that we all know where to come and bug you next season
Old 28 Oct 2000, 15:15 (Ref:45408)   #136
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm, Bournemouth....when do you change venue now, I'm sure you don't want to run the risk of us all gatecrashing after all