Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Oct 2018, 06:02 (Ref:3854224)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mmm, didn’t really want to know that! Brands Hatch two weeks ago was bearable because we were in garages, but no such luxury this weekend. Wellies and umbrella at the ready......
Old 4 Oct 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3854449)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely your gin palace makes you impervious to weather Mike

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Oct 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3854487)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Surely your gin palace makes you impervious to weather Mike
If you think I’m taking a 16.5 metre artic to Combe with one car for one day, you’ve got another think coming! Just the difference in fuel cost will pay for one night in the local Premier, and probably supper as well.

Forecast is now even worse- heavy rain all day.......
Old 5 Oct 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3854659)   #29
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list http://www.ccracingclub.co.uk/assets...Y-LIST-WEB.pdf
Old 6 Oct 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3854848)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forecast was right Healeys in the rain are a sight to see.
Thankfully I managed to park at Tower so we can watch the races in comfort.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3854982)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had a great day . Our young hot shoe wonFJ race . I managed P11 and that was after a little shunt this morning . All five of our cars returned unscathed so happy days . There still seemed to be lots of spectators so I hope it was a worthwhile race meeting for the organisers .Now in local curry house having dried off .
Old 6 Oct 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3854983)   #32
brands
Veteran

Despite the weather I enjoyed the day. Very good grids and some excellent racing. Camera stayed in the car and after our paddock and circuit walks so did we. Nice to bump into Mr T and have a chat. Hope Combe catch a break with the weather at next year's event.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 05:44 (Ref:3855082)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
At least it was dry by time we got to the GTSCC race...... Colder though!

Lots of incidents and two SC periods. 41 cars started and only 31 finished. Several drivers invited to see the CoC for a chat afterwards....... If there is any justice the green Healey driver that overtook 3 of us under waved yellows was one of them!

Hope Bob Binfield is OK after heavy impact at Quarry? Very concerned to see the damaged Gilbern and ambulance on track. Tricky trail of oil around Folly (expiring 356) led to some moments for many, and a big impact for the green SLR when the MGB it was passing lost control on the slick.

We got 16th and class P4, having been up to 12th after the first SC due to doing driver change on first slow lap.... Unfortunately second SC period closed the faster cars up and a few got past before the end.

As Brands said, weather gods seem to have it in for this meeting! Thanks to all the stalwart marshals, circuit workers and spectators for putting up with it, mostly with a smile.....
Old 7 Oct 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3855087)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I too was delighted to see Our John looking so well . I’m just so sorry to have had more time for a chat . We had to wait for the FJ prize giving which always happens by the Delta truck ..Then got a help call from the Lemberts MGB just as their cars were heading of to assembly area . Car kept stopping after 20 secs of running . Must be the coil . 🤣. We changed all electrics and found condenser wire had broken . Got him out but a few laps down . We then got back to loading up and MR T came round for a chat . I really enjoyed the meeting .
Old 7 Oct 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3855104)   #35
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the Castle Combe faithful made sure the event was well attended. A couple of images showing conditions. Copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_9677.JPG   DSC_9824_2.JPG  
Old 7 Oct 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3855115)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was great to see everyone, and I too, am sorry, Iain, that we couldn't chat more. I managed also to catch up with John (Brands), Marcus, briefly before he rushed off for commentating duties & Paul Lawrence, who now that I've moved, is a relatively near neighbour but failed to find either Colin McKay or Mike Bell which was frustrating. In between my FISCAR duties, I also managed to take some photos of the first 5 races (up to and including FISCAR) so will try to get some up on here soon particularly as John kept his camera dry. I thought both the racing and the quality of the driving was pretty damn good considering the conditions, and although the track began to dry mid afternoon, it remained really greasy and it's not surprising that there were a number of offs. I think our FISCAR drivers did us proud and just wish we could get that many out at some of our other races.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Oct 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3855164)   #37
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hope Bob Binfield is OK after heavy impact at Quarry? Very concerned to see the damaged Gilbern and ambulance on track. Tricky trail of oil around Folly (expiring 356) led to some moments for many, and a big impact for the green SLR when the MGB it was passing lost control on the slick.
Dad is fine, the Gilbern a little less so but nothing that can't be repaired - good old fibreglass! I think that effectively concludes our season, as the dilemma of the Algarve is now very much off the table
Old 7 Oct 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3855167)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Dad is fine, the Gilbern a little less so but nothing that can't be repaired - good old fibreglass! I think that effectively concludes our season, as the dilemma of the Algarve is now very much off the table
Very pleased to hear that your Dad is OK, Sam. Cars are a lot easier to repair.....

Sorry not to catch up with you, JT! We spent a lot of time sheltering from the conditions......... Went from shorts and T on Friday afternoon to jeans, thermals and winter jacket on Saturday!
Old 7 Oct 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3855172)   #39
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if there was a case for deploying the safety car earlier in the GTSCC and attempting a limited dressing of the oil? Even a partially successful effort would have drawn attention to the hazard it posed. A tricky one for race control
Old 7 Oct 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3855174)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Good news . Sorry you will not be down at Portimao.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3855191)   #41
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pattern for the weather for the last three years of the Autumn Classic has been for wet weather on the day of the meeting (Saturday) followed by a gloriously warm and sunny Sunday . Shame the modern and historic factions couldn't get along as the Championship Finals/Autumn Classic double-header was the highlight of the season with the Autumn Classic on the Sunday invariably held in glorious Autumnal sunshine .
Old 7 Oct 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3855253)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
I wonder if there was a case for deploying the safety car earlier in the GTSCC and attempting a limited dressing of the oil? Even a partially successful effort would have drawn attention to the hazard it posed. A tricky one for race control
Yes. Tricky call. First time I reached the scene after the incident the led display at the end of the pit lane said ‘Slippery Surface’, and you could see the oil. If you kept to the right through Folly, there was no problem, but two cars side by side meant the outer one having to cross the trail. I warned Simon during our driver change to keep to the right, but if others didn’t do the same the second driver would likely find out the hard way! I watched a couple of cars get crossed up on their first time though, then next lap keep to the right......
Old 7 Oct 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3855257)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 1 - Formula Vintage
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7802SSJT.jpg   IMG_7807SSJT.jpg   IMG_7816SSJT.jpg  

IMG_7824SSJT.jpg   IMG_7829SSJT.jpg   IMG_7849SSJT.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Oct 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3855370)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Norman Dewis Trophy for Pre 66 Jaguars

Apologies to Colin for showing him facing the wrong way:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7880SSJT.jpg   IMG_7890MSJT.jpg   IMG_7912SSJT.jpg  

IMG_7918SSJT.jpg   IMG_7952SSJT.jpg   IMG_7975SSJT.jpg  

Old 8 Oct 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3855418)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Phil Broster Memorial Race for Healeys
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8058SSJT.jpg   IMG_8071SSJT.jpg   IMG_8084SSJT.jpg  

IMG_8087SSJT.jpg   IMG_8123SSJT.jpg   IMG_8136SSJT.jpg  

Old 8 Oct 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3855534)   #46
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Apologies to Colin for showing him facing the wrong way:-

Not guilty on this occasion John, I sold the car back to the previous owner last year. A variety of guest drivers seem to have been having difficulty keeping out of trouble ever since!
Old 9 Oct 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3855613)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Oops sorry Colin, should have checked the entry list, rather than assumed! I think I have a few shots of the Gemini which I will include a bit later!
Old 9 Oct 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3855631)   #48
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still my favourite race meeting, absolutely fantastic, I just wish one year the sun would shine.

Old 9 Oct 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3855683)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Demo Cars

Much as I like the Autumn Classic, I've never really understood the rather understated demos. Only ever a very few cars on the track at any one time and the amount of time might be better utilised with an extra race. However, these are what I caught:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8152SSJT.jpg   IMG_8159SSJT.jpg   IMG_8163SSJT.jpg  

IMG_8172SSJT.jpg   IMG_8181SSJT.jpg   IMG_8186SSJT.jpg  

Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:09 (Ref:3855802)   #50
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.