Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Oct 2000, 23:04 (Ref:43123)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish somebody would tell me where this year has gone, it seems no time at all since Craig and me were stood at a very wet and cold Thruxton watching the opening round of the Powertour and now here we are with the season practically over and only the truck racing at Donington to look forward to.
I think anyone who's been at the races with the ten-tenths gang this year will know that it's probably the weekends that have kept me sane (well, vaguely) while work has been one big mess.
So, what's your highlights of the season? There's just so many worthy of mention, where do I start. The VIP hostility for the Jordan bash at Donington was pretty memorable and I loved the photos I got of the cars coming into the pitlane - also the model cars and the Irish guys (and their hats)
Finally getting to Oulton to see our very own Mr Mallett and co racing.
Snetterton and Silverstone night racing, the former because it has to be the biggest ever ten-tenths get together and the latter because the Super Tourers really did decide to say goodbye in style!
BTCC at Donington, this might sound mad, but it was just nice to crash out on the Old Hairpin after spending 3 days at the GP. Even with the touring cars, Donington was nice, relaxed and quiet by comparison.
And who can forget our very own resident Clio driver keeping us entertained throughout the year, especially the win at Brands and his attempts to actually come and say hello to the ten-tenths gang at Silverstone night racing qualifying
I could make a very long list here, but I do think that one thing that's made this year very special is the people I've been at the tracks with
Over to you, what do you think stands out as special this year? Has anyone had their hearing checked out now the season is over - I keep thinking I can hear airhorns
[Edited by Carrie on 16th October 2000]
Old 15 Oct 2000, 23:12 (Ref:43130)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have to agree with the Snetterton Night Races!

The first time I slapped my eyes on a bunch of ne'er-do-wells known as the 'Ten-Tenths collective' was in the beer tent at the back of Tyrells bar. What had I let myself in for?!

I realize I don't have much to compare this to, (!) but it certainly made for a great day. The F1 testing was memorable too!

I WILL attend more races in '01, I will!

Looking forward to Rockingham next year!
Old 15 Oct 2000, 23:23 (Ref:43132)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry about the title
Carrie dashes off to do 100 lines
I DO know how to spell Highlights
I DO know how to spell Highlights
I DO know how to spell Highlights.........
Old 16 Oct 2000, 19:43 (Ref:43221)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Almost forgot, the ALMS deserves a mention (although anyone who thinks the FPA is a decent race series is mad!)
Old 17 Oct 2000, 00:32 (Ref:43249)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gees...well i guess the 3 best meetings to date would be:
Gold Coast Indy
Oran Park Trucks
V8 Lites Lakeside
Old 17 Oct 2000, 18:35 (Ref:43349)   #6
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have to agree with the Snetterton remarks. In fact, both times I've been to Snetterton have been incredible. The first for obvious reasons, the second because it's what racing should be like (that was this weekend just gone).

Also, the Renault and Historic day at Donington. Those Clio V6 cars. WOW!! Not to mention our own Florian sideways, three wheelin' every lap in the Mini. Almost as good as Mr Guy at Snetterton...

BTCC season finale was, I think, the best Touring Car action and certainly the most intense event I've been to. The atmosphere around Silverstone was electric and so was the company I kept (see 'Thank you' thread).

Goodwood (the Sunday anyway) was all out the best I've been to, I think. Never before had I seen so many great cars and drivers gathered in one place at the same time. Certainly on the 'to do' list for the future. And speaking of stars and their cars, bring on 2010: EJ20...

EDDIE!!
EDDIE!!
EDDIE!!
Old 17 Oct 2000, 23:09 (Ref:43367)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been a good year - so much to choose from.

The sheer assault on the senses that was the ten-tenths group at the Snetterton beer tent. After that, the racing could only be an anticlimax.

Silverstone F1 testing was good fun too - again, it was the company that made it. I would never have gone otherwise.

As to racing highlights? So many, so many...

Gerry Marshall's 600th race win. What a guy.

Goodwood circuit revival: Peter Hardman throwing the Aston DBR1 through Lavant in fast, flowing four-wheel drifts, lap after lap.

Snetterton CSCC finale: A truly visceral racing experience, what with pirouetting Sunbeams, Peter Mallett's duel with an RX7 inches apart, a ragged Rover SD1 finding a different wayward line every time...

Silverstone VSCC: Running into Colin Cowderay in the paddock, and finding that he and his Cooper Bristol had both made perfect recoveries after one of the most frightening accidents I ever saw two weeks earlier.

Donington AMOC: The Intermarque race which was stopped a lap from the finish, and when the result was announced, it was awarded to the penultimate lap leader, a sick Jag E-Type which was at that moment burning fiercely in the pitlane... The owner assured the commentator that the damage was nothing that a few months and £15,000 couldn't fix...

Donington VSCC: Standing at Redgate, and watching the biggest, fastest, scariest vintage cars leaping off the line and bearing down on me. Vintage cars? Well, the 8-litre Bentley specials, the aeroplane-engined Becquet, the 24 litre Napier Bentley and others are all 150mph machines, and they make a sound to put thunder to shame.

Brooklands Reunion: Keith Schellenberg taking the Barnato-Hassan Special racing Bentley up the test hill at record breaking speed, and flying for some considerable distance at the summit. Awesome and terrifying.

I could go on... like I said, it's been a good year.
Old 17 Oct 2000, 23:21 (Ref:43368)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Every meeting this year has been awesome - as Tim says, for the company alone. The fact that there are nutters racing round in the background was the icing on the cake.

Highlights of the year are (in no particular order) Superbikes @ Brands, EJ10, Goodwood Festy, Snett BTCC, ALMS @ Silverstone and the Silverstone BTCC finale.

If I had to say one race, it'd be a toss up between Snett and EJ10 - i'd guess the Jordan bash would edge it due to the VIP treatment we received, and the fact the party went on non-stop for about 24hours

Worst meeting of the year ? Goodwood on the Saturday (for obvious reasons) and the last trip up to Oulton (for reasons which are known to those who were there)

Thanks for the memories guys - i'll cherish them for a long time to come - let's see if we can't surpass ourselves in 2001... though I think we might just struggle...
Old 18 Oct 2000, 10:47 (Ref:43414)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Highlights for me this year were Oran Park V8Supercars and Honda Indy 300 on the Gold Coast (subject to confirmation via 16 rolls of film).

Unfortunately for all at ten-tenths, almost all photos are designated to other websites already as ChampCar ones go to 7th Gear (who got me in and all the passes) and V8SP10 for whom I do V8Supercar photos and interviews and anything else I can think of. I will be writing a report for 10 Tenths, but there is a lot to do before I can find time...I'm hoping to do it next week.

Hmm, I've taken more space writing other things rather than highlights. So will say that the next highlight for me is the Bathurst 1000 in November.
Old 18 Oct 2000, 19:39 (Ref:43483)   #10
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once, I think I might have to agree with Craig (it's tough, trust me!) and say that for all-out fun, the Jordan gig was certainly a hard one to beat.

Having said that, I can't think of a meeting this season which could be declared as a letdown...
Old 27 Oct 2000, 12:44 (Ref:45185)   #11
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlight of the Year. Where to begin ?????

Definitely the loudest event was my first experience of the Thunderdome @ the Autosport Show (engines + music + commentary = ouch)

Two truely memorable (and completely different events) were the Rally Catalunya back in April and the CART GP in Houston earlier this month. Apart from the obvious differences in racing types, one trip had us stood in the snow up a mountain whilst at the other we enjoyed three days of sun & 90 degree heat (probably a completely alien concept for visitors to the GP @ Silverstone this year)

Back in the UK, the Silverstone night race meeting was great fun (and the petrol dispute meant that exiting the car parks was easier too), and the EJ10 party was excellent also.

The real highlight of the year for me (and forgive the stretching of the 'trackside' definition)was the privledge of being co-driver (ok, passenger really) to Gywndaf Evans in the SEAT Cordoba WRC at the first Silverstone Rallysprint - I won't forget that ride in a hurry.

So on to 2001 - Champ Cars at Rockingham is a must & after (and possibly inspite of )following the exploits of the Ten-tenths crew through the Trackside Forum, I aim to hook up with you all at Donington or Silverstone next year.

Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:27 (Ref:45237)   #12
Carrie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
Definitely the loudest event was my first experience of the Thunderdome @ the Autosport Show (engines + music + commentary = ouch)
So on to 2001 - Champ Cars at Rockingham is a must & after (and possibly inspite of )following the exploits of the Ten-tenths crew through the Trackside Forum, I aim to hook up with you all at Donington or Silverstone next year.
The Thunderdome at the Autosport Show, that really does seem a long time ago - and it was loud! Question is, was it as loud as the ALMS!
You're right, Rockingham next year is a MUST, looking forward to that one already
After reading about the exploits of the Ten-tenths gang you still want to meet up with us next year! It's always reassuring when you realise you're not the only person whose sanity can be questioned Still not to late to meet up with the ten-tenths gang this year you know, we'll be at Donington a week on Sunday - woo hoo, truck racing

Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:50 (Ref:45249)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Wasn't particularly impressed by the Thunderdome thingy, i'm afraid. Doubt i'd bother with that next year if I make the Autosport Show (which I hope to) It was all way to choreographed (sp?) though the sound of the Brisca Stock Cars and Autograss machines were awesome. ALMS was louder though...

You ran with Gwyndaf ? COOL!! That guy's a star!

As Carrie says, why not make the effort to pop across to Donington next weekend ? I see from your profile that you are Sheffield based - can't be that far, surely ? BTW, there's nothing wrong with us at all (with the notable exception of Dan, who is indeed a moron ), we just enjoy having a good laugh...
Old 31 Oct 2000, 13:03 (Ref:46059)   #14
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the invite to Donington this w/e, but unfortunately I won't be able to make it.

I'm sure you'll all enjoy the truck racing - I've seen them at Donington over the past couple of years, and it's always good entertainment.

The Craners & Old Hairpin is definitely a good viewing spot, particularly if as in a previous year errant competitors insist on trying out the strength of the fencing on the outside of the Old Hairpin.(I think i'd give the guy a 7/10. He'd managed to break through the fencing & get the front end of the rig over the tyrewall, but he hadn't quite managed to reach the grass banking). Ah well someone may be on a mission this time....

So have fun & I'll keep an eye out for meet ups next year