Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2002, 21:51 (Ref:329010)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Barrichello stalling was a good thing...

Logically this is not the case. But the way I see it if he had not stalled one of the cars (possibly Michael, but thats not the issue) would have had to wait in the pits while the other was getting intermediates. With Barrichello being 12? seconds behind Michael this allowed both cars to go in and out without having to wait. Thus letting any cars that were behind the 2nd ferrari get track position.

Anyone agree with this? Or am I wrong?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:15 (Ref:329025)   #2
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but wasn't Michael 12 seconds or so behind Rubens when they went in for their pit stops under the safety car in Austria? And Rubens and Michael ran 1st and 2nd from the first corner on lap 1 to the last corner on lap 71. (What happened at the last corner is irrelevant to this topic)
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:33 (Ref:329041)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see your point. If Rubens hadn't had stalled he would have ended up in the same place after the pitstops because he would have had to wait for Michael. So in the end the stall wasn't that bad.

However, he lost the opportunity to be ahead of Michael when the rain and pitstops came. Then it would have been Michael who would have waited...
Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:54 (Ref:329049)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In this sense Rubens and Ferrari didn't lose or gain from the stalling, but if Rubens had been ahead of Michael when they came in for the switch to wets, he would've still got out in front. But because of the size of the gap at the time Rubens lost nothing as the changaround from Michael's tyres and equipment to Rubens' was done so quickly by Ferrari (contrast this to Malaysia, or the Nurburgring 1999 fiasco)
Old 7 Jul 2002, 23:07 (Ref:329052)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Rubens would've had a pretty good chance of winning if he hadn't stalled, as long as he stayed ahead of Michael until the stops came round. If he was in front Michael would've had to have waited right behind him, just like malaysia and Austria. If not he may have continued round. Rubens would have gained several seconds.

Count the number of IFs in there!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 23:16 (Ref:329057)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello was punished for wearing that Germany-offensive Brasil jersey...
Old 8 Jul 2002, 21:45 (Ref:329797)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good for Ferrari, they had Barrichello behind TGF already... no need to have him yield
Old 9 Jul 2002, 06:33 (Ref:329928)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Barrichello had not stalled, he would have won. But stalling certaily created a lot more excitement....
Old 9 Jul 2002, 12:09 (Ref:330122)   #9
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
What I should have added was that it was lucky for Ferrari... Chances were good that Mr B would have been ahead and then Michael would of had to wait. But I also think that with the Bridgestone perfomrming like they did he would have been able to fight his way back to a one two for ferrari...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 20:53 (Ref:330522)   #10
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Barrichello would have won even if he hadn't stalled at the start. The last time Rubens and Michael competed in the wet was Malaysia 2001, and Michael won that one, so history would probably have repeated itself. Even if Michael had to wait for Rubens to be fitted with wets, he would probably have got by Rubens anyway.