Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Apr 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2866616)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
News Corp to try to lead bid for FOM?

http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/P...7-1bdcdcbeb360

Yes, I know it's a News Corp source, but ... er ... what? How would this fit in with the new Concorde negotations? Would F1 be better or worse in the hands of News Corp than Bernie? What would that mean for F1 on FTA TV (I'd suggest that FTA TV is essential for F1)? To be honest I think FOTA would be the best custodians of the sport.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2866683)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"I have heard", "I'm told" etc.

Righto!

I heard from the estranged uncle of my brothers' dog whisperer that overheard a conversation between one of Ghadaffi's sons and the Iron Sheik about some guys yabbering about the most obscure tabloid magazine from Tajikistan featuring an article about News Corp wanting to take over F1.

You didn't hear it from me, kay?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2866769)   #3
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be bad for us in the UK if it did happen as we would certainly lose the BBC coverage and it would end up on Sky Sports.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2866807)   #4
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although, I have Sky I don't have Sky Sports and have no intention of paying for it. I'm no fan of Murdoch and if circumstances didn't dictate I'd get rid of if tomorrow.

As has been pointed out this is only a rumour and until something official comes out I wouldn't read anything into it. Having said that I do think it is only a matter of time before they get all the TV rights to F1. It does make you wonder if they haven't been the source of a lot the dis quiet in F1 in recent years. Now I really should probably listen to my own advice and not read too much into it! Practice what you preach springs to mind.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2866808)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
Would be bad for us in the UK if it did happen as we would certainly lose the BBC coverage and it would end up on Sky Sports.
News Corps motto seems to be if it is free to air it must be stopped or ruined, they would buy the BBC and dumn it down until nobody could watch it given half a chance!
Capturing a global audience and high class content like F1 would be very high on their list of priorities.
I think this would be the death of F1
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2866810)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Bernie consider moving to generally pay TV system a few years ago and the teams told him that it would be a really bad idea if he wants them ...
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2866913)   #7
nickj
Rookie

nickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If News Corp were too take over F1 might it lead to talk of a breakaway series as was threatened a few years ago ?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2866931)   #8
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do not and will not pay any more for sports on TV, I already pay too much and won't pay extra for ANY sport.

If F1 becomes a pay option for me I'm done watching it.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2866938)   #9
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
If News Corp were too take over F1 might it lead to talk of a breakaway series as was threatened a few years ago ?
Good conspiracy theory for you, but don't you think they may have been involved with the talked about a breakaway series? Couldn't get the rights to F1 so set up on your own and kill F1. I can't imagine the teams would have agreed to a breakaway without knowing they had some pretty heft backing. Contractually sponsors would probably have insisted on it. There I go again, reading too much into things!
Old 20 Apr 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2867003)   #10
nickj
Rookie

nickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
There I go again, reading too much into things!
Yep !
Old 20 Apr 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2867083)   #11
gizmo71
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
gizmo71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie says it's “rubbish" and that "the sport isn't for sale.”

So it'll probably happen by the end of the week.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2867220)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's more about it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13143365
Old 20 Apr 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2867262)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this happens, I'm done with F1. No way in hell I'm paying to get Sky Sports.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2867271)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
If this happens, I'm done with F1. No way in hell I'm paying to get Sky Sports.
You might want to try this.

http://freetvall.com/videos
Old 21 Apr 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2867298)   #15
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be very bad for F1 if News Corp got the commercial rights. Even worse than CVC :P
Old 21 Apr 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2867490)   #16
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
It would be very bad for F1 if News Corp got the commercial rights. Even worse than CVC :P
As I already stated in another place on the same topic:
If News Corp gets the rights, then Bernies wet idea of artificial rain at circuits is just the start
Old 21 Apr 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2867523)   #17
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I might be the only one here, but I'd accept News Corp over CVC/Bernie. I'm well over the Poison Dwarf's antics.

Even the statement he made there; "the sport isn't for sale", as if he's stopping under-7's football from being sold to Philip Morris or BAT. The reality is he's part of the present owning company, had involvement in the last purchase of the sport, and is intrinsically protecting his own interests.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2867529)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG View Post
I might be the only one here, but I'd accept News Corp over CVC/Bernie. I'm well over the Poison Dwarf's antics.

Even the statement he made there; "the sport isn't for sale", as if he's stopping under-7's football from being sold to Philip Morris or BAT. The reality is he's part of the present owning company, had involvement in the last purchase of the sport, and is intrinsically protecting his own interests.
Quite true, Bernie is protecting his own interests, then again Murdoch is only persuing his.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2867537)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
true they are both capitalists of the worst order.

if true though one advantage i can see with New Corp is that they will make F1 available over considerably more mediums particularly the internet.

F1 as it is right now has the worst and slowest web site of any major sport i can think of, they apparently hate people sharing their videos, their internet coverage (outside of the UK) is non existent, and they have almost zero coverage in N.American print media. News Corp would change all of that over night.

i get the feeling that Bernie still does not understand the value of the internet which seems odd because he has never missed a trick to make money...the only explanation is that he is too old to get it.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2867566)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
His inability to embrace web distribution does amaze me. Actually surprised he hasn't tried to do online ppv of each race weekend or preseason testing. I'm sure there are tv rights conflicts and other things to doing that, but would any legal tangles really stop Bernie from trying to make more money? It is a bad thing that I check 4-5 other sites about everyday for F1 news but maybe hit the F1 site 4-5 per season, usually just to check the time conversion since it's on the front page. Even if they had to wait until the following wednesday or after the next race, I would love to see a highlights package of the race offered on the site. I think I would even pay for it. I pay $25/month to watch any MLB game, home and away, online so I'm sure I'd pay, and others would, for a recap online. Especially those without cable to pick up the action we would otherwise be stealing by watching an online feed if we were around/awake for it.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2867571)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My guess is Bernie doesn't feel the internet gives him enough control over content and its distribution.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2867592)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
My guess is Bernie doesn't feel the internet gives him enough control over content and its distribution.
Exactly, think of how many sites there are that stream sports content for free.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2867624)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I think that that sort of thing shows that paywalls aren't going to be a good idea in the future.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2867930)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
I do not and will not pay any more for sports on TV, I already pay too much and won't pay extra for ANY sport.

If F1 becomes a pay option for me I'm done watching it.
Ditto