Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Apr 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2867627)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Lotus to buy Caterham?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90907

Would make an interesting thing, and if they lose their lawsuit, that's a possible backup name for the team. Of course, if they win the lawsuit against Lotus Cars, well, ...
Old 21 Apr 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2867634)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems a strange move if you ask me, caterham do one thing rather well (cater for 40-60s mid life crisis'), but its hardly an aspirational brand.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2867682)   #3
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good, brings in a different brand into the series, while giving the team a plan B if Lotus cars have their way.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2867750)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be interesting, in years past Caterham was probably selling more cars than Lotus was. I think one year Lotus only turned out 20 Esprits or something.

If Lotus Cars continues down the "The World Is Mine" path with all sorts of nouveau riche cars, I think there is room for Caterham to expand as a brand building lightweight simple sports cars that can be bought by people that can't afford Ferraris.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2867822)   #5
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably more genuine Chapman/Lotus DNA and heritage at Caterham than at Proton/Group Lotus.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2867980)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Probably more genuine Chapman/Lotus DNA and heritage at Caterham than at Proton/Group Lotus.
Nail on head. Not sure what to think of some of the new Group Lotus efforts.

Caterham also have a tie-up with Lola to build and race their SP/300.R sportscar.

2 litre turbo. 0-60 in 2.5 secs. Currently destined for a one make series....would make nice road car (mind those road humps).

Old 22 Apr 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2867986)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Joe Saward's blog, Tony Fernandes has recently been appointed a director of Caterham Cars, which perhaps implies that the take over will be going ahead.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2867989)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It may also be that being a road car manufacturer adds some weight to current legal proceedings?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2868046)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
If Lotus Cars continues down the "The World Is Mine" path with all sorts of nouveau riche cars, I think there is room for Caterham to expand as a brand building lightweight simple sports cars that can be bought by people that can't afford Ferraris.
Wasn't building lightweight simple sports cars that can be bought by people that can't afford Ferrari's a philosophy previously maintained by Lotus Cars?

So they do have more in common with the old Lotus than the Dany Bahar bunch!
Makes sense for Fernandes and Team Lotus to invest in that then.