Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2011, 04:52 (Ref:2869834)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Anti-Bahrein Petition, what do you think?

There is a petition on Facebook asking Bernie Ecclestone not to hold a Grand Prix in Bahrein, due to the political repression in that country.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-L...86632651383037

Do you think Bernie should choose another venue (Estoril, Portimao, Magny-Cours, Donington, Brno, A1Ring?) or keep the race in Bahrein?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2869840)   #2
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps indy....( ducks to avoid the hail of insults!) Just please! Not Donington! They have just spent millions to undo the "improvements" that were started for the F1 dream.In another two or three years it will be back to were it was, only five years behind!!!!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2869924)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Road America!

Or Laguna Seca, just for a laugh.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2869928)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm quite ignorant of the political situation, but I'm in favour of banning the Bahrain GP on the grounds of it being rubbish.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2869930)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A return in the short to medium term would certainly be highly inappropriate for the reputation of the sport.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2869935)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
There is a petition on Facebook asking Bernie Ecclestone not to hold a Grand Prix in Bahrein, due to the political repression in that country.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-L...86632651383037

Do you think Bernie should choose another venue (Estoril, Portimao, Magny-Cours, Donington, Brno, A1Ring?) or keep the race in Bahrein?
Good job its not Bahrain then.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2869938)   #7
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Didn't we just have a race in a country where political repression runs rampant?

Keep the race where it is! F1 is running out of gullible governments...
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2869943)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm quite ignorant of the political situation, but I'm in favour of banning the Bahrain GP on the grounds of it being rubbish.
Same here.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2869953)   #9
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The last time this sort of thing happened was the 1985 South African Grand Prix. The difference was, that was on a decent track(before it got butchered!). I think F1 should try and stay of politics as much as possible, race there if we must, but Bahrain is sadly another Tilkedrome! Banning it because it is boring, now there's an idea!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2869964)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Truth is politics is like fashion trends, it varies from time to time and place to place... like we say here, the ball is on middle east now and all the eyes are on it. The best for F1 is to avoid to get on the political spotlight and look somewhere else safe.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2870002)   #11
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replace Bahrain with a round at Buenos Aires
Old 26 Apr 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2870008)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quite.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2870018)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
, but I'm in favour of banning the Bahrain GP on the grounds of it being rubbish.
Yes i agree it is rubbish and an ugly track Istanbul not only has better racing but better looking track and there are better more storied tracks to race at anyway. But how is a new track supposed to become so storied? Well 1st you make it worth watching, then the good comes.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2870137)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
No, I want to be outraged over a place I can't spell.
Was there a poll like this last year. And are there polls similar to this regarding China, Turkey, or Australia?
I'm not against action like this if warranted (eg the South Africa example), but it does make people look a little silly. I hope Bernie ignores this and makes the same choice he would have made this. Which is what he will do.

Anyway, has something happened. It wasn't looking that likely last I read. Does the world need this open letter for Bernie to ignore.

PS. I don't think the GP should go there.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2870260)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They don't need to replace Bahrain for this year. One less Tilke track means we're still winners.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2870286)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

whiners you meant to say...
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2870288)   #17
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He's French, give him a break
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2870289)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, and the Bahrain is Bahrein in French. I think.
I'll stick with my general rant on why we've not had facebook pages like this before.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2870708)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we're pulling people up for their spelling, shouldn't it be the Anti-‏البحرين Petition?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2870827)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

And frankly, if Bernie cared about political oppression there'd be other candidates for being removed from the F1 calendar.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2870837)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And frankly, if the fans actually cared about political oppression there'd have been bleating about other GP before now.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2870915)   #22
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The situation in Bahrain seems to be getting worse:

Quote:
Bahrain's secret terror - Desperate emails speak of 'genocide' as doctors who have treated injured protesters are rounded up
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...r-2270675.html
Old 27 Apr 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2870950)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I'm sure that Bernie will make the call on the future of the Bahrain GP on an absolutely commercial basis. I doubt he'll ever even know about the petition.

There are two circumstances that would stop Bernie going there next year. One - the general security situation remains a risk to the teams or his employees. Two - If the advertisers or people who fund his media partners pull out of buying the feed, then he might pull the plug.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2871105)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I'm sure that Bernie will make the call on the future of the Bahrain GP on an absolutely commercial basis. I doubt he'll ever even know about the petition.
Wait, you mean Bernie Ecclestone doesn't make decisions based on what's on Facebook?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2871110)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
The situation in Bahrain seems to be getting worse:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...r-2270675.html
That's horrible How sad is that... There's no way in hell this GP can happen.

It pales in comparison to all that's going on there. Just plain wrong.

Selby