Old 12 Mar 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3377698)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Race Preview
2014 F1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX
14-16 MARCH 2014

The 2014 season kicks off this weekend, with Melbourne Australia hosting round one of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship.

The street track around the Albert Park lake provides a stern challenge for drivers and cars alike. As is common with temporary circuits, the lack of grip leads to high track evolution as the track ‘rubbers-in’ over the race weekend, making set-up an ever moving target. The track also has various bumps and undulations that have been known to catch drivers out, particularly coming into the braking zones, with gravel traps and unyielding walls waiting for the unwary or the unlucky.

This years Australian Grand Prix has another factor to consider. All eyes will be focused on the performance of F1’s new V6 turbocharged power units. Winter testing proved the 2014 cars had all the performance of their predecessors, but with the hybrid technology still in its infancy, glitches abounded during the three scheduled pre season tests. While some teams were able to complete race simulations towards the end of their testing schedule, a few teams, including the reigning World Champions Red Bull Racing, did not. Reliability of the new power units proved to be an issue to many of the teams. For this reason, many are expecting a race of high attrition in Melbourne.

Additionally, all teams are still on a steep learning curve with their new equipment. The new cars will complete the race distance with two-thirds of fuel on board compared to the 2013 cars – but maximising the potential of that load entails a new paradigm in race craft and is very much a work in progress.

Teams have acknowledged this first grand prix of the season will be a voyage into the unknown, with many of them discovering for the first time the capabilities of their race-specification cars during the three free practice sessions. It promises to be a surprising and exhilarating weekend.

ALBERT PARK CIRCUIT

Length of lap:

5.303km
Lap record
1:25.125 (Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004)
Start line/finish line offset
0.000km
Total number of race laps
Total race distance
307.574km
Pitlane speed limits
60km/h in practice;
100km/h in qualifying and race

CIRCUIT NOTES

The kerb on the exit of Turn 12 has been levelled and renewed (with the same design of kerb).

DRS ZONES

DRS sectors will be the same as those used in 2013. Activation One is 762m before Turn One, Activation Two is 510m before Turn Three. They share a single detection point, located 13m before Turn 14.

Australian GP Fast Facts

Albert Park first hosted an F1 World Championship Grand Prix in 1996. It twice held the (Formula Libre) Australian Grand Prix in the 1950s – the 1956 edition being won by Stirling Moss driving a Maserati 250F.

Of the 18 F1 races held at Albert Park, 11 have been won from the front row. David Coulthard’s victory from 11th in 2003 is the win from furthest back, next is Kimi Räikkönen’s victory last year from seventh on the grid.

Three drivers make their Formula One debut this weekend. Toro Rosso have Daniil Kvyat (19) driving the STR9. The Russian won the GP3 title in 2013 and Formula Renault 2.0 Alps in 2012. Sweden’s Marcus Ericsson (23) will drive for Caterham. Ericsson is a former champion of Formula BMW UK and Japanese Formula 3. At McLaren Danish driver Kevin Magnussen (21) takes part in his first grand prix. Magnussen is the 2013 World Series by Renault Formula Renault 3.5 Champion and a former champion of Formula Ford Denmark.

Returning to Formula One after a season’s absence is Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi. Now with Caterham, the former Toyota and Sauber man has 60 grand prix starts to his name. He has 28 top 10 finishes with a best result of third, appearing on the podium at the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix.

2014 sees many new regulations. In a change to the rules governing tyres, drivers who appear in Q3 will start the race using the tyres with which they set their fastest lap in Q2 – this new rule has been approved by the F1 Commission with a view to ensuring drivers participate in the pole position shoot-out.

Concerning the race, the essential new sporting regulation introduced for 2014 is a limit on fuel consumption. Between the start of the race and the chequered flag, a maximum of fuel load of 100kg may be consumed – approximately two-thirds of the race consumption of the V8 engines retired at the end of the 2013 season. There is also a maximum fuel-flow rate of 100kg/hour.

On the technical side, the new internal combustion component of the F1 power unit is a 1.6-litre 90° V6 unit. It is turbocharged, features direct injection and is limited to 15,000rpm.

Power will also be provided by two energy recovery systems. ERS-K has a 120kW motor-generator unit (MGU-K), replacing the 60kW unit used previously for KERS. The unit can use 4MJ of energy per lap, up from 400kJ. This specification means 2014 energy recovery will supply twice the power of its predecessor for five times as long. It is sufficient to ensure the MGU-K will be recovering or releasing energy for the majority of every lap at most circuits.

ERS-K will only be allowed to recover 2MJ per lap. Additional energy will be recovered by a second system, ERS-H, that harvests energy from waste heat in the exhaust. No limit is placed on the amount of energy that can be recovered by ERS-H.

Old 12 Mar 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3377714)   #2
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant wait personally.

I think practice will give us a real feel for what the weekend holds. If cars are stopping a lot or having to return to the pits every few laps with issues, then we could be in for the crazy race many have predicted.

However I expect some problems may have been ironed out in the couple of weeks since the last test.

Practice can also be used to tweek any issues.

Could be exciting though.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3377718)   #3
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to it. Curious how the V6 will do.
This will be my anyone but Vettle year.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3377723)   #4
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't wait to see the Free Practice, Qualifying, the race, and who the winner is.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3377729)   #5
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Wet Race

just read it might be a wet race.

With no experince with wet condition at all in the new cars it would be interessting to see who can deal with it.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/mel...-weather/26216
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3377735)   #6
321Go
Veteran

Peter Windsor previews the Australian F1 GP.

The weather in Melbourne over the last two months and a bit has been hot and sunny. Record breaking heat wave even. Unfortunately, Sunday looks likely to be the wettest day in Melbourne for the last two months! Why oh why weather gods did you chose Sunday of all days??
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3377736)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
One great thing?

That'd mean no 'improved' (!!!) DRS

Selby
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3377763)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Flag marshals headed for the GP have been advising each other to take a lot of warm, dry clothing. The locals are predicting some rather unseasonably cold weather.

This is the first time in three or four years I can feel my excitement building before the lights have gone out. I'm looking forward to Sunday, with whatever it may bring!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3377772)   #9
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
One great thing?

That'd mean no 'improved' (!!!) DRS

Selby
Yes good point.

DRS worst innovation in F1 history.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3377853)   #10
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time in a few years that I'm this excited before the season opener. Here's hoping everyone puts the brakes on Vettel's relentless march towards further success. I think I can get behind anyone for that.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3377860)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I am also excited. But my excitement is slightly tempered by the fact that if half the field break down within the first dozen laps, we may end up with a race even more boring than one where Vettel skips off into the sunset unchallenged.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3377902)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the intro. i enjoyed the fast facts

half the field breaking down followed by story after story about how ridiculous each team is for spending so much money might just be the push that F1 needs to put a budget cap in place....who am i kidding if that happens then they will just all agree that spending more money is the only solution!

looking forward to the race myself and how the teams split their strategies so at least one car finishes. it will tell us a lot about how each team rates/ranks their drivers.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3377912)   #13
vodka
Rookie

Lithuania
Vilnius
vodka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nooo guys stop repeating that half of the field will broke down before halfway and other bs. This will not happen, though some migh not run with full power. Anyway, can't wait much longer!!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3377935)   #14
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka View Post
nooo guys stop repeating that half of the field will broke down before halfway and other bs. This will not happen, though some migh not run with full power. Anyway, can't wait much longer!!
I read somewhere that Red Bull are hoping for a 1-2.

One on the first lap, one on the second ... boom boom!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3377966)   #15
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Watch Team Willie go!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3377988)   #16
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will any team go through their entire drivetrain allocation in single weekend! I joke, as I don't that that will happen, but I think it will be interesting to see how many problems arise during practice, qualifying and the formation lap just prior to the start! Oh, and the race itself will be interesting as well.

Richard
Old 12 Mar 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3377991)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Yes good point.

DRS worst innovation in F1 history.

Not even nearly close, wings and excessive downforce combined with aerodynamic trickery!

The day drafting / slipstreaming ceased to be an advantage was the day racing went to hell!

At least DRS restores that - sort of!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3377997)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Will any team go through their entire drivetrain allocation in single weekend! I joke, as I don't that that will happen, but I think it will be interesting to see how many problems arise during practice, qualifying and the formation lap just prior to the start! Oh, and the race itself will be interesting as well.

Richard
At a 1979 SA GP I counted 27 complete blown Renault turbo engines standing in a paddock ....

2 car team!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3378033)   #19
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it that time of the year already ?
Just woke up from hibernation for a new exciting motorsport season, and like most of you, I'm really looking forward to it...

Did not follow the news but got the important ones, like Mercedes promising performance, and Renault struggles. Also, double points for the last race ? Seriously ?
Also read that Williams could be the dark horse, that would be great. I hope it's true and they come back to the front to be a top 3-4 team (trying to remain realistic). They have a great livery too.

Can't wait...
Old 13 Mar 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3378100)   #20
321Go
Veteran

McLaren's one off livery for Melbourne.

Old 13 Mar 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3378103)   #21
321Go
Veteran

The podium at Melbourne. Wall of champions.

The weather forecast looks to have improved slightly for Sunday. The rain that was expected for Sunday will apparently fall during Saturday qualifying. Sunday is expected to be patchy showers. A wet and dry race then??
Old 13 Mar 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3378109)   #22
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

The weather forecast looks to have improved slightly for Sunday. The rain that was expected for Sunday will apparently fall during Saturday qualifying. Sunday is expected to be patchy showers. A wet and dry race then??
Awesome...
Old 13 Mar 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3378158)   #23
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Great to have the season underway! Cant wait for tonight and seeing the start of some track action! Didn't get a chance to do any previews, bit of writers block , but I'll post a link later for anyone interested.

It's setting up to be a great season but the key for Merc has to be getting as many cars between them and Vettel in the opening races before we get back to Europe. If they can build a decent cushion between now and Barcelona it could be impossible for Red Bull to catch them. I definitely don't subscribe to the view that Red Bull are destined for a year of running around scrambling for points, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until we've more data
Old 13 Mar 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3378251)   #24
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

If reliability is as bad some say the podium may look like that after the race.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3378424)   #25
JustGav
Rookie

New Zealand
Sydney, Australia
JustGav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton already stopped on circuit