Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3800995)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
2018 GTE thread

For us GT fans who want to discuss the real race for Le Mans this year without all of the talk about the LMP categories getting in the way.

What do you think? GTE Pro will be the best field ever for sure. Despite the big numbers that Ferrari, Ford, and Porsche are putting in. I still think Corvette is going to challenge for the victory. May not be the year for Aston Martin or BMW.

For GTE Am. I think it is a bummer that Scuderia Corse was not invited. They have won the race before. Biggest let down for sure. However great to see Risi and Keating team up. I look forward to seeing their 3rd driver. That could determine if they are favorites for the victory.

I love the Porsche 911 RSR though. And for sure the 10 car fleet, put together for Le Mans is going to make a huge impact.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3801017)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
17 GTE-Pro entries is simply amazing.

Porsche, Ford and Ferrari have more entries, but Chevrolet, BMW and Aston Martin can't be discarded at all.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3801039)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
For us GT fans who want to discuss the real race for Le Mans this year without all of the talk about the LMP categories getting in the way.
Surely it's the other way round, don't you mean the GTE's getting in the way of the LMP's...?

Sorry, I better and let you enjoy this thread
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3801040)   #4
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
17 GTE-Pro entries is simply amazing.

Porsche, Ford and Ferrari have more entries, but Chevrolet, BMW and Aston Martin can't be discarded at all.
Agree just with these 6 manufacturers entry in gtpro, ACO should seriously think about a GT stand alone series as a new world FIA GT.
Anyway I'm quite sure that 2008 spa and le mans GT1 still unbroken pole records will fall this year.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3801062)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The field in pro looks excellent but a little thin in Am. Really surprised about all those 911's not sure what the ACO was thinking after the way porsche treated them last year. a few less of them and more for the other manufacturers would have been acceptable to most people i think
Old 13 Feb 2018, 18:56 (Ref:3801067)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Surely it's the other way round, don't you mean the GTE's getting in the way of the LMP's...?

Sorry, I better and let you enjoy this thread
I'll be running away with you then......

No, happy to see a good GTE field of course.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3801191)   #7
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Anyway I'm quite sure that 2008 spa and le mans GT1 still unbroken pole records will fall this year.
Really? You reckon they'll find another 3+ seconds at Le Mans this year? Sub 3:50 if conditions are right, but not sure I can agree about that GT1 pole time being bettered.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 14:56 (Ref:3801296)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The field in pro looks excellent but a little thin in Am. Really surprised about all those 911's not sure what the ACO was thinking after the way porsche treated them last year. a few less of them and more for the other manufacturers would have been acceptable to most people i think
The way Porsche treated them??? What???

And as for 'other manufacturers', in GTE-SHAM, they do not exist (with the exception of Corvette C7.R which no-one wants to field because there are so few of them and to the words of Larbre the chassis is "aging" + Ford which you cannot buy) so you couldn't really get them there even if you wanted them

Unless you meant more Ferraris or Astons which is about as uninteresting as Porsches for most people

Riley being left out of LMP2 is something one might argue about however

Quote:
I think that 2007-2008 spec Corvette C6.R / AMR DBR9* / Saleen S7-R with modern 2018 spec Michelins (and no BoP crap) could do about 3.43-45. at Le Mans today, not only because of the tire advancements but the track being million times faster too.

* Yes I know those have been run in the AMR Festival at LM in recent years with terrible pace, but they have been trialed by amateurs. And I'm not sure but probably in slow-ass 2010 FIA GT1 setup too

Last edited by Deleted; 14 Feb 2018 at 15:07.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3801346)   #9
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Did not take long to get the 3rd driver for Risi/Keating Ferrari. Luca Stolz. A veteran of Porsches and Mercedes mainly.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/s...r-24h-le-mans/
Old 14 Feb 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3801361)   #10
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The way Porsche treated them??? What???

And as for 'other manufacturers', in GTE-SHAM, they do not exist (with the exception of Corvette C7.R which no-one wants to field because there are so few of them and to the words of Larbre the chassis is "aging" + Ford which you cannot buy) so you couldn't really get them there even if you wanted them

Unless you meant more Ferraris or Astons which is about as uninteresting as Porsches for most people

Riley being left out of LMP2 is something one might argue about however

I think that 2007-2008 spec Corvette C6.R / AMR DBR9* / Saleen S7-R with modern 2018 spec Michelins (and no BoP crap) could do about 3.43-45. at Le Mans today, not only because of the tire advancements but the track being million times faster too.

* Yes I know those have been run in the AMR Festival at LM in recent years with terrible pace, but they have been trialed by amateurs. And I'm not sure but probably in slow-ass 2010 FIA GT1 setup too
Agree, with nowadays confidential michelins, aero updates and weight/power ratio like 1100-1150kg/600hp, quite sure those GT1 will be scoring close to 2012-2013 lmp2 laptimes.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3803149)   #11
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO/FIA needs to address the new Aston for AM class. They need to find a way to allow them to race. Variety is part of what makes GT extremely interesting!
Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3803192)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
ACO/FIA needs to address the new Aston for AM class. They need to find a way to allow them to race. Variety is part of what makes GT extremely interesting!
They might as well considering "rules" haven't been part of the GTE/GT2 experience for number of years now...
Old 22 Feb 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3803204)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I thought that the GTE-Am one-year rule was asked by manufacturers to allow them to resell GTE-Pro cars. If manufacturers now want to sell current cars, why would the FIA / ACO oppose?
Old 22 Feb 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3803213)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I thought that the GTE-Am one-year rule was asked by manufacturers to allow them to resell GTE-Pro cars.
That's interesting if true considering mid-2010 when this sub division was constructed after the death announcement of GT1, the GT2 market area was much wider (LM24, ILMC, ALMS, LMS, ASLMS, IGTO, Italian GT, Super GT300, FIA GT2 Cup / Spa 24 Hours, Nurburgring 24 Hours, Dubai 24 Hours, Vallelunga 6 Hours, Zolder 24 Hours and some others) than it is now, which meant the mfgs didn't need to rely on artificial tricks like this to sell old cars.

Last edited by Deleted; 22 Feb 2018 at 16:56.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3810138)   #15
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Little worried for Corvette now for Le Mans after Sebring? May be one of those years they get tails whooped? Seems to be hit or miss for them this decade.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3810164)   #16
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Little worried for Corvette now for Le Mans after Sebring? May be one of those years they get tails whooped? Seems to be hit or miss for them this decade.
Why worried... after dominating Daytona they and Ford just didn't get free everyone's-a-winner gifts like everyone else did, so it's business as usual. The given lottery numbers at LM will be entirely different anyway

BMW probably will receive the best tickets though, because it's appropriate PR to win on first comeback year AND they didn't win manage to win 2010 or 2011 with the previous iteration
Old 23 Mar 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3810171)   #17
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Why worried... after dominating Daytona they and Ford just didn't get free everyone's-a-winner gifts like everyone else did, so it's business as usual. The given lottery numbers at LM will be entirely different anyway

BMW probably will receive the best tickets though, because it's appropriate PR to win on first comeback year AND they didn't win manage to win 2010 or 2011 with the previous iteration

I give you the point sir. Note that in the past 5 years GT has 5 different winners. Porsche (2013), Ferrari (2014), Chevrolet (2015), Ford (2016), Aston Martin (2017). Only BMW can keep that streak of new winners going this year.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3810176)   #18
Deleted
Veteran

My memory is bad because I haven't paid that much attention in recent years to this side of the paddock but I think the only races this decade where it wasn't mainly decided on favorable/unfavorable BoP and/or close wheel to wheel action BoP provides were 2010 (everybody except Porsche dying) and 2012 (Ferrari direct injection ie better engineering than others)

Anyway even if/when BMW gets good tickets from the committee, you have to remember that the taxi cab M3 got somewhat the same treatment as well - certainly in 2011 at least - yet managed to screw it up, so I'm not sure they'll be able to win it

After all, it took Aston Martin so many years to win the class [in PRO] regardless of BoP. Back in the days of DBR9, ie competition without BoP (except for 2006 ALMS), it took them 'only' 3 years to be able to win GT1 at Le Mans. So in a way, winning in BoP competition can be just as difficult as winning in engineering competition, or even harder (unless you are given absurdly favorable political values), because there's not much room to move your muscles. And screwing up multiplies when everyone is artificially that close, not potentially laps away

Last edited by Deleted; 23 Mar 2018 at 16:20.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3810214)   #19
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
My memory is bad because I haven't paid that much attention in recent years to this side of the paddock but I think the only races this decade where it wasn't mainly decided on favorable/unfavorable BoP and/or close wheel to wheel action BoP provides were 2010 (everybody except Porsche dying) and 2012 (Ferrari direct injection ie better engineering than others)

Anyway even if/when BMW gets good tickets from the committee, you have to remember that the taxi cab M3 got somewhat the same treatment as well - certainly in 2011 at least - yet managed to screw it up, so I'm not sure they'll be able to win it

After all, it took Aston Martin so many years to win the class [in PRO] regardless of BoP. Back in the days of DBR9, ie competition without BoP (except for 2006 ALMS), it took them 'only' 3 years to be able to win GT1 at Le Mans. So in a way, winning in BoP competition can be just as difficult as winning in engineering competition, or even harder (unless you are given absurdly favorable political values), because there's not much room to move your muscles. And screwing up multiplies when everyone is artificially that close, not potentially laps away
Actually your memory is bad indeed (no offense)

as far I can remember...

le mans 2013, 458 gte had a really bad bop and basically has never been able to fight for the win (despite 2012 domination). On the otherside AMR vantage received all kind of bop helps (larger fuel tank, weight down, restrictors larger and aero/rear wing waiver). The 3 cars were the fastest gte and didn't win because of accidents and unluck - bad pit stop strategy for the last pit stop.

Le mans 2016.... it was so clear that ACO was going to help the newbie ford that bop was simply hilarious....

BTW le mans 2010 porsche 997 gt3 rsr performances weren't great at all.... risi 430 and corvettes were on the edge, but reliability wasn't by ther side.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3810220)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Actually your memory is bad indeed (no offense)

as far I can remember...

le mans 2013, 458 gte had a really bad bop and basically has never been able to fight for the win (despite 2012 domination). On the otherside AMR vantage received all kind of bop helps (larger fuel tank, weight down, restrictors larger and aero/rear wing waiver). The 3 cars were the fastest gte and didn't win because of accidents and unluck - bad pit stop strategy for the last pit stop.

Le mans 2016.... it was so clear that ACO was going to help the newbie ford that bop was simply hilarious....

BTW le mans 2010 porsche 997 gt3 rsr performances weren't great at all.... risi 430 and corvettes were on the edge, but reliability wasn't by ther side.
???

What?

I don't get this post, everything you say here is basically repeat of what I already implied

Lost in translation, perhaps
Old 23 Mar 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3810234)   #21
canaglia
Veteran

apologize; my bad. I'm a quick reader, guess I've read

"but I think the only races this decade where it WAS mainly decided on favorable/unfavorable BoP and/or close wheel to wheel action BoP provides were 2010"

while, atcually you wrote the exact reverse
Old 24 Mar 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3810413)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:

Quote:
I give you the point sir. Note that in the past 5 years GT has 5 different winners. Porsche (2013), Ferrari (2014), Chevrolet (2015), Ford (2016), Aston Martin (2017). Only BMW can keep that streak of new winners going this year.
It feels like Speed Racer.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3810436)   #23
canaglia
Veteran

with the standard min.weight new m8 shown at daytona to be far from a competitive pace, but with the same last year weight brake, m8 shown good performances at sebring. If ACO will grant them the same bop, guess m8 will get a chance for le mans as well.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3810442)   #24
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
apologize; my bad. I'm a quick reader, guess I've read

"but I think the only races this decade where it WAS mainly decided on favorable/unfavorable BoP and/or close wheel to wheel action BoP provides were 2010"

while, atcually you wrote the exact reverse
No prob
Old 31 May 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3825886)   #25
MaskedRacer
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-the-gtes.html

Nice to see the 4 Porsches lined up. I love it. Can't wait to see the Fords do the same thing. Should have a pic with all 10 Porsches if they can manage it.

Looks like mirror colors at #91(black), #92(white), #93(blue), #94(red)