Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1445259)   #1
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006 British F1 GP camping advice

Well this time is approaching for me to book in for the British GP once again. This time I'm camping however and I'm just after a bit of advice as to which camp site is the best.

I quite like the look of Litchlake sites as aren't they near the Woodcote entrance? Which is the area I'm looking to book tickets for.

I do however like the idea of the Sawmills site too, as its near a village which would be good for on a night.

What does everyone reccommend?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1449972)   #2
martin_f1
Rookie

martin_f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stayed at Sawmills campsite this year, it was very basic, but was cheap and did the job. It is also located in the village, if you're going for a grandstand ticket that is not really a problem, however we were General Admission and wanted to stand at Stowe, which is about as far away as it could be (20 - 30 mins walk). This can be slightly annoying at 3.30am on the Sunday which is when we left to get a good place in the queue!

Litchlake is right opposite the woodcote entrance but was fully booked when we arrived Thursday night, I belive you cannot book spaces there in advance. I would also advise to steer clear of litchlake if you want some sleep, it seemed noisy all night and there were fireworks going off at various times in the early hours (although it looks a lot of fun if you can cope without the sleep). Sawmills on the otherhand was quiet in comparison.

This map will give you an idea of distances (Sawmills in the village to the north, Litchlake immediatly west of the track)
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1450873)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We used Whittlebury golf club this year for the GP.
You could book in advance, had good showers, toilets, 10-15 minute wander from the Copse entrance, firework free ( well 2 in 4 days), friendly crowd, evening entertainment and you could get some sleep after midnight ( if you wanted to ).
Old 17 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1463384)   #4
JV_97
Rookie

JV_97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Woodlands this year, my first camping experience. It was horrible - the showers were disgusting, I actually felt dirties after the shower than I did before!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1463417)   #5
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_97
I was at Woodlands this year, my first camping experience. It was horrible - the showers were disgusting, I actually felt dirties after the shower than I did before!

Showers?
When i went to Silverstone,i didn't bother with those,i think it adds to the experience!!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1463443)   #6
JV_97
Rookie

JV_97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_slh
Showers?
When i went to Silverstone,i didn't bother with those,i think it adds to the experience!!
lol, I guess camping isn't really for me... but the price of hotels was just ridiculous so camping was the only sensible option.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1495867)   #7
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to say, thanks for the advice! I'm going for the Sawmills site. Any ideas on how much it will cost?
Old 6 Jan 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1496470)   #8
martin_f1
Rookie

martin_f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory I think it was £20 per pitch per night last year, enjoy the GP
Old 8 Jan 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1497507)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_f1
From memory I think it was £20 per pitch per night last year, enjoy the GP

JESUZZ - how much?
Last time I camped as a speccy was in 1994....cost £10 for 4 nights!
Old 6 Feb 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1516856)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Sorry, I'm dithering now, I may go for Sawmills, but can anyone tell me what the washing facilities are like? As the pdf on the Silverstone website has sketchy info.

Whittlebury sounds nice, but it depends how close to civilisation it is if me and my mate fancy a wonder into town. Is anywhere close by?

(I promise, no more questions )

*edit* Muahahaha! 666 posts!
Old 7 Feb 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1517062)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Whittlebury sounds nice, but it depends how close to civilisation it is if me and my mate fancy a wonder into town. Is anywhere close by?
(I promise, no more questions )
Town???!! Sawmills is closer to Silverstone Village than Whittlebury is but Silverstone Village is not what you'd call a "town"!! I think from memory there are a couple of pubs and a village shop.

I'd imagine Whittlebury is closer to the funfair than Sawmills but neither are really out of the way.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1517223)   #12
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Cool! Whittlebury it is then! (I did mean the village, jeeze you people are pedantic! )
Old 7 Feb 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1517252)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whittlebury is very, very close....(ok I cheated and stayed in the hotel for something last season but I still woke up to the sound of FF in the morning). You can see part of the circuit from the hotel and the grounds from the circuit...good bet i'd've thought.