Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jul 2002, 09:41 (Ref:329202)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should keep this to myself but...

I went to Shelsley Walsh for the first time at the weekend. It was fantastic! It was the VSCC meeting - and it was the best motor racing event I've ever been to. Lovely people, amazing cars a beautiful setting - not too many crowds (which is why I should keep it to myself), free grandstands - I could go on.

So I will - 27 litre Napier Bentley, several Bugattis, crazy GN's, beautiful Alfas and Frazer Nash BMW's - it seems the more I get into cars the more I like the earlier ones.

Here's a photo of the Napier Bentley - I'll try to get an album of my photos up soon.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn7450s.jpg  
Old 8 Jul 2002, 09:58 (Ref:329207)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Castrol R. Glad you had a good time Stefan. I'm also glad there's an alternative to the GP.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:04 (Ref:329212)   #3
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just incase anybody notices - that should be 24 litre Napier Bentley. It was the Hispano Delage that was 27.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:11 (Ref:329215)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice!

Pretty big cars I take it?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:25 (Ref:329232)   #5
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Have a look at my 'Funny Brooklands Image' post to see how big the Napier looks next to an Austin Seven.

Still, some of the Edwardian cars were even bigger - in height anyway. I stood next to one where the wheels came up to my chest and the steering wheel was above my head.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 12:29 (Ref:329338)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that looks like a pretty big car, you didnt manage to get it all in the picture
Old 8 Jul 2002, 14:19 (Ref:329423)   #7
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Napier Bentley - and Napier Railton

The Napier-Bentley is still a regular sight at VSCC meetings, where Chris Williams gets to unleash the power of the 24-litre Napier W12

We've got a couple of pictures of the car

Napier Bentley at the Brooklands Society Reunion
http://www.bolide.co.uk/actions/imag...sr01.17757.jpg

Napier Bentley at VSCC GP Itala Trophy Race Meeting
http://www.bolide.co.uk/actions/imag...pit00.5059.jpg

We have some photos of the Napier-Bentley and the Napier-Railton side-by-side - it's only then that the Napier-Bentley looks small, due to the sheer size of the Napier-Railton...

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.ukhttp://www.bolide.co.uk
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:28 (Ref:329481)   #8
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Blimey, I didn't realise the railton was even bigger!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:54 (Ref:329499)   #9
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only is it bigger, but in its original form the Napier-Railton was raced without front brakes...

As the VSCC faithful say, Front Brakes are for Girlies!

Nick Froome