Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Oct 2000, 17:30 (Ref:41269)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

European Touring Car Championship will be started again for the first time since 1988 when Roberto Ravaglia won it. The calendar is alredy set with races in ten different countries. The rules isnt set yet though, they will be in December.

Could actually be interestning with the right rules!
Old 5 Oct 2000, 23:40 (Ref:41350)   #2
TheShadow
Rookie

TheShadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks,Johan

This could be great. I look forward to hearing more.
Shadow
Old 6 Oct 2000, 04:25 (Ref:41382)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am guessing it will probably be run around the NSC rules that everyone will be talking about? OTOH, the World Cup was kinda like the ETC? I think Paul Radisich won the last time it was run? OTOH, the '01 ESTC could probably qualify as well? Any more word on the teams running in it?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 09:04 (Ref:41407)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It would be great for this to be the last happy hunting ground of the ST car, wouldn't it?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 09:04 (Ref:41408)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on...

Mr Chow...

How many hands have you got?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 12:34 (Ref:41439)   #6
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasnt it Frank Biela who won the last World Cup, 1995?

Paul Radisich has won it, what is it, two or three times with Ford?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 13:52 (Ref:41456)   #7
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radisich

Radisich won it in 1993 at Monza and 1994 at Donington. Frank Biela won the last World Cup at Paul Ricard in 1995.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 17:33 (Ref:41480)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The FIA series will just be the existing Euro SuperTouring Cup rebadged. The calendar will run in conjunction with teh FIA GT championship.

April 1 Monza Italy
April 16 Brno Czech Republic
May 1 Magny-Cours France
May 13 Silverstone United Kingdom
May 20 Zolder Belgium
July 1 Budapest Hungary
August 12 TBA Germany
September 9 A1-Ring Austria
September 30 Jarama Spain
October 21 Estoril Portugal
Old 7 Oct 2000, 09:46 (Ref:41600)   #9
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I wonder what rules they decide to use... Why not the SuperStars rules or something in that style?

But isn't it a bit late to present the rules in December for the manufacturers? Starting to make a racecar in December and start racing it in April, isn't that too little time?

Old 7 Oct 2000, 16:43 (Ref:41641)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

WOW! The '01 FIA schedule for ST/GT looks pretty dreamy! A lot like F1! I wish it had a Vancouver, Canada or US stop!!!

Did you guys hear? The Olympic host city hopeful Dallas(??) is hoping to have racing become an OLYMPIC sport! They are trying to sell this point. However, the debate is brewing about how will the race champion be determined? Via only 1 round? Via Nascar, touring, rallying or F1? Sounds cool?

I think a single driver should have do the above 4 rounds to become the Olympic champion? What do you guys think?

Old 7 Oct 2000, 18:59 (Ref:41657)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'd sort of assumed that since it's just the Super Touring Cup rebadged they would use SuperTouring rules, possibily with a second class for BTCC-style regs.

Somehow I think Superstars will be just another blue-sky dream that never actually goes anywhere - EUROC anyone ?

km, you might want to check your atlas again. It's been a few years since I was at shoool but I don't remember Vancouver ever being European.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 19:26 (Ref:41663)   #12
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
hmm, well, what I have heard is that they wont use SuperTouring rules, more likely the BTCC 2001 rules...

hmm, well concerning Superstars, it is a shame that they had to postpone it until 2002. but I think it'll turn out right, many manufacturers has shown great interest to the series . and the calendar is superb that already is set.

the rules that they will use in Superstars seems very interestning aswell, four, front and rear wheeldrift is allowed, bigger engines and so on and so forth. can it really fail?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 20:32 (Ref:41672)   #13
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are using st rules in 2001, and then deciding on new rules the year after. I did here a while ago that there will be a class b.
The good thing is that all of the practice sessions, qualifying and races for the estc and fia gt will be live on eurosport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 8 Oct 2000, 16:34 (Ref:41810)   #14
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Live on Eurosport.... that is good!!!

JM, what manufacturers have shown interest, if any?
Old 8 Oct 2000, 21:01 (Ref:41837)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Firstly BMW and Volvo. Volvo has actually said officially that they were aiming to compete in Superstars 2001, but now when its postponed they'll rethink and see if any other series could be better.

But then also other manufacturers like AlfaRomeo, Renault, Honda.

This series could really be a cracker, I do really like the rules!

Old 8 Oct 2000, 22:01 (Ref:41845)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

Redshoes wrote:

>km, you might want to check your atlas again. It's been a >few years since I was at shoool but I don't remember >Vancouver ever being European.
>
Yeah, I heard you, but wouldn't it be so cool if the ESTC had a exhbition race over in NA? ;-) It's like the ADAC VW Beetle Cup which made an appearance over here in NA this year.

You can be certain I would attend! Even if it costs me $50!! Wow, I would go nuts and drool over the cars!!!
Old 9 Oct 2000, 02:20 (Ref:41870)   #17
TheShadow
Rookie

Relax km chow...

...I understood what you meant.

Thank you for posting the schedule, Redshoes.
I think it is great that people of different backgrounds can discuss what is happening in touring car racing.
Maybe you could try to be a little more understanding of those who don't have the knowledge that you are blessed with.

Shadow
Old 9 Oct 2000, 13:41 (Ref:41978)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why not run it to DTM rules?

Anybody see the races from Nurburgring yesterday??
Old 9 Oct 2000, 18:40 (Ref:42005)   #19
TheShadow
Rookie

DTM rules would be great

I just don't see that happening, as much as I might like it.

It would appear that ETCC will use current ST rules for 2001, with new rules for 2002.

Might those new rules be the same as those for the "new" BTCC?

Old 9 Oct 2000, 20:02 (Ref:42021)   #20
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well, I've spoken mutch good about Superstars, but I won't stop yet . Why not bring in the Superstars rules to the ETCC, just rename superstars to ETCC...

Why not?
Old 9 Oct 2000, 20:27 (Ref:42033)   #21
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Tourers are going cheap now, as they'll have no worth to anyone, barring Formula Saloons teams after next year. It's pointless 'throwing away' the old cars; we all loved Super Touring and it is absolutely wonderful that the final ever series will be a Europe-wide one.

After that, we are likely, as reported, to see a switch to BTCC 2001 rules a year behind the Brits. It's rumoured that there could be some sort of 'link up' between the BTCC and the ETCC. There are so many different formulae doing the rounds, there needs to be some sort of stability between them.

Oh, screw that: DTM rules for the lot of 'em...
Old 9 Oct 2000, 20:40 (Ref:42040)   #22
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
But do you really think we would get any manufacturers then? I dont think any manufacturer would start building a new SuperTouring verision of their car if the series would only have ST rules for one year. And for sure, no Manufacturer would race in ETCC with a old ST just cause there are so many out there.

If they decide to keep it I should think there is a big risk that we'll only get privateers in old STs... No, there is nothing wrong with SuperTourers, but it would be nicer with ither Superstars cars or DTM cars! (at least I think )
Old 9 Oct 2000, 21:01 (Ref:42051)   #23
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They already have Super Tourers, that's the point. They'd just be putting a little too much pressure on the teams by changing (or deciding upon) the rules at this late stage. DTM regulations would be awesome, but I fear that won't eventuate...

They probably will follow the BTCC's lead in going for Super Production-type cars with the same sort of cars accepted. Superstars cars would be bigger and faster, but it's probably an idea to stick with outdated Super Tourers for just one more season. That way, they can play the waiting game to see what sort of racing the new rules produce...
Old 10 Oct 2000, 21:10 (Ref:42230)   #24
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well I guess you're right aboute one thing. So mutch is happening currently with Touring Car Racing, Super Touring is dying, Super Production is getting bigger for each year, the new DTM rules is getting more and more popular and the Superstars rules is trying to get publicity...

Anyhow, when ESTC gets official FIA European status I don't think their first year'll be racing with old cars with dying rules...

And I guess the following weeks and months'll be deciding to what rules different series'll use and where different manufacturers'll race, it'll be an exiting time for sure!
Old 10 Oct 2000, 22:56 (Ref:42259)   #25
kmchow
Veteran

Like Toca these past few years, Formula Saloons had been bragging about 15+ ST cars appearing on the starting, but they have only averaged 6 cars this season with a high of 8 at one meeting I think. So even though there are a lot of cheap ST cars out there, somehow not many are racing?

But I would rather see a "poor showing" of 6 ST cars rather than no ST cars at all! ;-)

Perhaps next year will be even better?