Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Dec 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3340158)   #1
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British automotive treasures/follies

Following on from the Auction Action thread, what would you classify as such? And would you put your hand in your pocket to preserve them for the nation?
Old 4 Dec 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3340181)   #2
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin,
Treasures : Any pre-1914 racing Napier; outright WSR cars pre-1960; 1907 RR Silver Ghost; Napier Railton; very little else.

Follies (for which a compulsory export licence should be granted) : Duncan Drone; all MGAs; any BL post-1968 except SD1 Rover & Metro 6R4 ; any post-1950 Lagonda; Ford Consul Classic/Capri. A few more that are too dreadful to mention and should be deprived of the oxygen of nostalgia.

There, has that upset enough people ?
Nick
Old 4 Dec 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3340182)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
most of our cars? certainly everythig in my toy cupboard.
Old 4 Dec 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3340214)   #4
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
folly and treasure:
all open topped double decker sports cars

anyways, very british

Rudolf
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3342066)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Nick

At last someone has put Lagonadas in their correct historical position.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 03:27 (Ref:3342227)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think perhaps it should be a bit more specific. I mean what about the Austin Atlantic, or the Nash Metropolitan? They invented the term "skip" before Skoda got to use it.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3342309)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
However, let's not forget that the engine that powered the post war Lagondas also went into the Astons and much of mechanicals of the Atlantic went into the A-H 100/4, so whether or not follies in themselves, something good came out of parts of them!
Old 11 Dec 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3342533)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Atlantics and would you believe Vivas are accepted in Tour Auto.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3342640)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
When I was just a young lad at school my best friend Charlie Jones thought the Austin Atlantic was the best car on the road. No pictures of XK 120's, DB2's, MG's would change his mind.

So there!
Old 11 Dec 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3342660)   #10
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two vehicles, in my mind, have wheels in both camps.

Firstly, the Daimler SP250 of which my first memory is of a black one, with a bell on the front, chasing after me on the North Circular around London. I stopped purely out of curiosity to admire the beautiful lines of the car. As a good proportion of the Met's fleet of these cars were based at their Finchley motor pool (which later moved to Hendon adjacent to their training HQ), I saw a lot of them around and always loved them. I really would have loved to have owned one.

My other choice is the Triumph Stag, one of which I did own for a few years. Although a late model (an S registered automatic model) which I loved and lavished great care on, it never truly repaid me. It was great fun to drive and would cruise effortlessly on long runs, but hit the smallest amount of slow traffic or, heaven forbid, pause more than momentarily at traffic lights, the engine temperature would shoot up.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3343934)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
And what, might I ask is wrong with Viva's?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3343945)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
And what, might I ask is wrong with Viva's?
And guess what- it is the Viva GT that is on the eligibility list! Along with the original 60s VX 4/90....... My boss when I was an acme pimpled apprentice bought a new Brabham Viva. At the time I thought it was really cool, then the Cortina 1600E came out!

Old 14 Dec 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3343954)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was an acme pimpled apprentice
Acme pimples? Sort of a spotty Roadrunner?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3344008)   #14
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Snigger....
Old 14 Dec 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3344032)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
If ACME pimples were as strong as the ACME thread they must have taken some bursting!
Old 11 Dec 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3342628)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Saw that Gooda Bentley thing at Woodgood yesterday, bizarre.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3343869)   #17
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two words. Gordon Keeble.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3343905)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Two words. Gordon Keeble.
I hope that is under the 'treasure' header, not the other one!

Old 14 Dec 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3343923)   #19
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Gordon Keeble, I should have put that on the list, body designed by Giorgetto Giugaro.
It's a treasure with the steering box mod., and a folly without it.
Nick
Old 14 Dec 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3343929)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Gordon Keeble, I should have put that on the list, body designed by Giorgetto Giugaro.
It's a treasure with the steering box mod., and a folly without it.
Nick
Designed by a Eyetie? With a moniker like Apriliadriver, and driving a Mustang!

Are you really the best person to venture an opinion?

On the other hand you did admire my picture of an ERA taken at Goodwood, and that is a true treasure. Oh! The car not (necessarily) my picture.

Cheers Nick.

Bob.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3343950)   #21
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Who would not covet the chance to race an ERA, Bob ? Great picture, I still look at it.

A Mustang ???!! My dear, I would not touch one with the tip of my parasol ! Chev Camaro, please ...
A Lancia Aprilia is the thinking man's car, I trust it would find a place on the List of Italian Automotive Treasures.
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Designed by a Eyetie? With a moniker like Apriliadriver, and driving a Mustang!

Are you really the best person to venture an opinion?

On the other hand you did admire my picture of an ERA taken at Goodwood, and that is a true treasure. Oh! The car not (necessarily) my picture.

Cheers Nick.

Bob.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3344019)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The pinnacle of pimples?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3344020)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The pinnacle of pimples?
Top spot?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3344024)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Of course there is one British car that remains a treasure even today. The original Issigonis Mini.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3344027)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of course there is one British car that remains a treasure even today. The original Issigonis Mini.
It's way beyond treasure, because if you read any newspaper, almost anything can become a "national treasure.

The original mini was an icon, and will be revered way beyond our lifetimes.