Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2021, 22:13 (Ref:4079296)   #2901
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I, like you Andy, am also a mere 58 - and I'm convinced I'm just getting going!

For sure, motivation does get harder to come by as the years go by, and it is a lot of hassle preparing for an event and doing all the stuff that has to be done (assuming you are, like me, someone who does it all themselves) for what, at the end of the day, all boils down to maybe about an hour's total driving time. Seen in those terms, it's easy to see how an outsider may think we're all bonkers!

But then I say to myself: what else am I going to do? My better half is convinced racing is the only thing that keeps me from becoming a total sad b*****d... and what worries me is, she may be right.

And as she said there's no way she's putting up with life as the partner of a sad b*****d, then I have no choice but to continue and press on regardless. So with any luck, I'll be at it for a while yet...
I am certainly planning to keep going for a few years yet, and as I have just stated tarmac rallying I still have a fair bit to learn and experience. In reality I don’t do that much and as long as work remains tolerable I shall keep going for a while yet. Being self employed helps - I don’t have to worry about office politics and the corporate greasy pole! And as long as the government keep spending money I seem to be able to get contracts!
Old 21 Oct 2021, 00:13 (Ref:4079300)   #2902
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I am certainly planning to keep going for a few years yet, and as I have just stated tarmac rallying I still have a fair bit to learn and experience. In reality I don’t do that much and as long as work remains tolerable I shall keep going for a while yet. Being self employed helps - I don’t have to worry about office politics and the corporate greasy pole! And as long as the government keep spending money I seem to be able to get contracts!
Being self-employed is essential I reckon! I don't think I'd ever find the time to get my act together and make it to an event on time if I had a 'normal' job.

Having the flexibility to be able to take time out to prep the car or whatever else needs to be done before an event is certainly a luxury not afforded to many - and I am acutely aware of that. And even that still doesn't prevent me from running around like a headless chicken on the couple of days preceding a meeting!

How the hell people manage it without that luxury continues to escape me...
Old 21 Oct 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4079311)   #2903
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Being self-employed is essential I reckon! I don't think I'd ever find the time to get my act together and make it to an event on time if I had a 'normal' job.

Having the flexibility to be able to take time out to prep the car or whatever else needs to be done before an event is certainly a luxury not afforded to many - and I am acutely aware of that. And even that still doesn't prevent me from running around like a headless chicken on the couple of days preceding a meeting!

How the hell people manage it without that luxury continues to escape me...
Interesting you say that as I have raced under both employed status and self unemployed! We seem to be far more precious about our holidays when employed, but you do get paid to take a day off and do stuff. One just has to be efficient in planning and execution.

When I think back at the time I spent doing my own stuff whilst self employed its no wonder I never made any money, I did managed to acquire and restore more than my fair share of toys though, and having recently sold one it kind off made up for the lack of salary, a savings scheme if you like!
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4079355)   #2904
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
"work", "job", "employment"......... are people talking in tongues?

Milady's winter fuel payment advice arrived the other day, so my somewhat smaller payment should land soon......between them they make up about half an entry fee

However it somewhat belatedly occured to me the other day that assuming Steve sells the 75 V6, I do still have tucked away in the corner of my unit a trackday-prepared 75 Twin-spark that I bought just before we got the V6, which might make a entertaining toy to race....It'll need a seat, belts and an extinguisher, and doubtless a few other bits, but maybe........
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:05 (Ref:4079357)   #2905
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
"work", "job", "employment"......... are people talking in tongues?

Milady's winter fuel payment advice arrived the other day, so my somewhat smaller payment should land soon......between them they make up about half an entry fee

By the time we get to the end of winter this year you may need those payments for heating, cooking and light!
Old 21 Oct 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4079386)   #2906
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
However it somewhat belatedly occured to me the other day that assuming Steve sells the 75 V6, I do still have tucked away in the corner of my unit a trackday-prepared 75 Twin-spark that I bought just before we got the V6, which might make a entertaining toy to race....It'll need a seat, belts and an extinguisher, and doubtless a few other bits, but maybe........
You know it makes (no) sense at all.
JFDI!
Old 21 Oct 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4079387)   #2907
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
By the time we get to the end of winter this year you may need those payments for heating, cooking and light!
Alternatively we can get up and walk around.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4079388)   #2908
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I doubt it. We won't have to pay for something we can't get

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Oct 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4079393)   #2909
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It'll need a seat, belts and an extinguisher, and doubtless a few other bits, but maybe........

My ex neighbour has a motorsport parts company that is cheaper than almost anyone else and he's a Lifeline registered dealer. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes so I won't mention his company name here but send me a PM and I'll give you his details.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4079396)   #2910
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I doubt it. We won't have to pay for something we can't get
The daily service charges won't stop. And so long as the banks are still able to transact payments one's Direct Debit will still be processed to pay for the undelivered consumption. No option to "get on line" to change or discuss the transactions either.

And remember, here we are dealing with an industry that makes payments to suppliers who are told to stop producing when the supply availability is more than the distributers can handle but only makes those payments to suppliers who cannot guarantee to supply on demand when needed.

Normal "rules" need not apply.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4079448)   #2911
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks morninggents......

As for the other "little rays of sunshine" spreading tales of doom and pestilence.....don't care, I'm off to deliver a car to a gent in Hereford, then on to Silverstone to watch the Birkett and then my old racing compadres in CSCC
Old 24 Oct 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4079689)   #2912
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
]
….. it somewhat belatedly occured to me the other day that assuming Steve sells the 75 V6, I do still have tucked away in the corner of my unit a trackday-prepared 75 Twin-spark that I bought just before we got the V6, which might make a entertaining toy to race....It'll need a seat, belts and an extinguisher, and doubtless a few other bits, but maybe........
Richard
Or you could bid on this:
https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/sat-6th-sun-7th-november/1979-alfa-romeo-alfasud/?fbclid=IwAR2PuuyGJ0TsLTtLH4-y-LZcP02thppDaFiUaiKiw6rj_wa4x1FTZQYjfb0
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4079911)   #2913
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

I actually have a (non-race) Sud sat in my garage...... I was chatting at Silverstone to Mike Scarf who runs an Autolusso prepared 156 3.8 GTA in sprints and hillclimbs, but fancies a Sud as a road car that he could also use for some light competition, and is maybe interested in buying mine, and he mentioned the one above.....

A fair bit of thinking over the winter about what to do from now on
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4079917)   #2914
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
I actually have a (non-race) Sud sat in my garage...... I was chatting at Silverstone to Mike Scarf who runs an Autolusso prepared 156 3.8 GTA in sprints and hillclimbs, but fancies a Sud as a road car that he could also use for some light competition, and is maybe interested in buying mine, and he mentioned the one above.....

A fair bit of thinking over the winter about what to do from now on
Forgot to tell you, Richard, my old 'Sud sold recently in an auction. No-one could find the current owner & the council eventually took it to a breaker's. Fortunately news got around & in the nick of time they were persuaded not to put it in the crusher, but to auction it instead. The auction was hotly contested & it sold for £2,760, so one assumes the new owner plans to restore it back to health.

Although it is 13 years since I sold it, it had actually changed very little in appearance & is still very original. I cherished that car for 20 years, hopefully the new owner will do the same!
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4079918)   #2915
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
That was cheap for a Sud, these days, but of course presumably there were no keys and it must have been standing for quite a while.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4079920)   #2916
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That was cheap for a Sud, these days, but of course presumably there were no keys and it must have been standing for quite a while.
No keys, no V5, & the engine partially dismantled. Some bodywork required too, but by no means beyond redemption - that car is a survivor!
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:48 (Ref:4080150)   #2917
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm sure it will be fine John, although it's not always easy getting the parts. But there's always something somewhere for any old car, even if you have to be innovative at times. Just hope you have a lot of time and patience for the job. Classic cars like the Sud never die
Old 28 Oct 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4080396)   #2918
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Talking of bids, I watched a few things at the H&H auction at the motorcycle museum yesterday, particular interest in a barn find 1964 LAmbretta TV (GT) 200 off the road since 1975 and a very period dealer special respray/colour scheme, with a few subtle accessories. . . went past 5k estimate, past my best guess of 10k and hit £23600 including premium. Thats an expensive shopping bike.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 15:15 (Ref:4080445)   #2919
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Booked my Covid booster jab today; having it done today fortnight.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4080459)   #2920
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Booked my Covid booster jab today; having it done today fortnight.
Mine's a week tomorrow.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4080461)   #2921
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mine's Monday.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 17:51 (Ref:4080462)   #2922
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
50% of my workforce have got Covid. All double jabbed.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 18:06 (Ref:4080467)   #2923
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No guarantee it will stop us getting it
Old 28 Oct 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4080470)   #2924
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
No guarantee it will stop us getting it

Nor stopping the double jabbed from passing it on, especially to those that they live with, although the chance of that reduces when all are vaccinated.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4080471)   #2925
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
50% of my workforce have got Covid. All double jabbed.
But hopefully the double jabbed effect will be that their symptoms are not too severe / unpleasant and will not need hospital treatment. Wish them all a speedy and quick recovery.
Closed Thread