Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 2021, 16:04 (Ref:4081649)   #2976
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, having done a quick calculation, I think that you would be entitled to stay for up to 90 days less the 32 days in Oct/Nov, because the day count is on a rolling basis, thus for each day that you stay after a couple of weeks after you arrive in January, your stay days in July fall off.

A couple of sites that may help you calculate this:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...e/date-day.php
Old 5 Nov 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4081659)   #2977
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Gordon, having done a quick calculation, I think that you would be entitled to stay for up to 90 days less the 32 days in Oct/Nov, because the day count is on a rolling basis, thus for each day that you stay after a couple of weeks after you arrive in January, your stay days in July fall off.

A couple of sites that may help you calculate this:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...e/date-day.php
Thanks Mike, interesting ! I have had various difference by others
Anybody else ? any other answers on this 58 days ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Nov 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4081660)   #2978
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The problem is, how long will this arrangement last? There’s always a worry those in charge will change the amount of days at a stroke
Old 5 Nov 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4081664)   #2979
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, you may get slightly different answers depending on how people calculate the days spent because it has changed over the years. In the past, the days counted were full days in the country, sometimes nights spent, but now Europe and the UK count the day of arrival and day of departure in the calculation.

This can be somewhat unfair in some cases. For a silly example, let's say the arrival is delayed by ATC problems and you disembark at one minute to midnight, they can or probably will count that as one day of your allowance, and the same in reverse if you embark at one minute to midnight.

Possibly like Peter M who works abroad a lot, this was important to me when I used to travel overseas for work purposes a lot as it all determined whether I needed to pay tax in the UK; I didn't because I used to be away for between 6 and 8 months a year.
Old 5 Nov 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4081668)   #2980
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Gordon, you may get slightly different answers depending on how people calculate the days spent because it has changed over the years. In the past, the days counted were full days in the country, sometimes nights spent, but now Europe and the UK count the day of arrival and day of departure in the calculation.

This can be somewhat unfair in some cases. For a silly example, let's say the arrival is delayed by ATC problems and you disembark at one minute to midnight, they can or probably will count that as one day of your allowance, and the same in reverse if you embark at one minute to midnight.

Possibly like Peter M who works abroad a lot, this was important to me when I used to travel overseas for work purposes a lot as it all determined whether I needed to pay tax in the UK; I didn't because I used to be away for between 6 and 8 months a year.
To be accurate it's when the passport is scanned and stamped that matters as that is the evidence used.
Old 5 Nov 2021, 19:03 (Ref:4081676)   #2981
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
To be accurate it's when the passport is scanned and stamped that matters as that is the evidence used.
Yes mine has been stamped on the last two occasions this year including last night when we flew back with the dates I put on my blurb.
A woman who flew into Gibraltar the other week was refused entry to Spain because the last time she left the EU her passport wasn't stamped from several months back so they assumed she hadn't left and was an overstayer.
Even though she could prove otherwise via her old flight/bank/CC records, the Spanish border patrol said that unless passports are stamped on arrival and departure that's the end of it !!
So 58 days ? Peter Mallet have you any comment ? I am not exactly stupid but if I put in the dates on the various internet calculators they differ, sometimes by a lot !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 5 Nov 2021 at 19:09.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Nov 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4081679)   #2982
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now that’s a bit of luck. Which reminds me, I will need to get a new passport at some point. I let mine run out of date, because I don’t get to travel the world as often as you guys, so have hardly used it. Luckily I don’t have any plans to go abroad as of yet, but there have been a few places that I have thought of going at times. Spain has often come up. You go there a lot Gordon. What would you say is the best place to go to in this day and age?
Old 5 Nov 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4081693)   #2983
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Now that’s a bit of luck. Which reminds me, I will need to get a new passport at some point. I let mine run out of date, because I don’t get to travel the world as often as you guys, so have hardly used it. Luckily I don’t have any plans to go abroad as of yet, but there have been a few places that I have thought of going at times. Spain has often come up. You go there a lot Gordon. What would you say is the best place to go to in this day and age?
Depends on what your likes are, I have travelled a fair bit in various places in the world in the last 50 plus years but in later life I don't enjoy long flights and found Spain suited my wife and me because of the abundance of sun and decent main uncrowded roads (all paid for by the EU and UK) 2hrs 20mins away.
It is a huge country with amazing scenery from the green north to the burnt brown south with beautiful hilltop villages.
We love the place we live in because it is within striking distance of a lot of unspoilt parts and uncrowded beaches throughout the year that holiday makers never see.
It's very difficult to actually see much in a short trip but you could plug for a city break like Madrid or Cordoba otherwise you are just chasing your tail and will miss most of it.
We have taken friends on trips from our place to terrific parts that they had no idea existed nearby although they have been having holidays in our same village for years like this photo
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1033).png
Views:	5
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	71811
Old 6 Nov 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4081737)   #2984
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took a look on the web and it seems to be the actual wording is 'up to 90 days in any 180 day period'.
So when you go on 01.01.22 the 180 day period would commence on 05.07.21 and you had been in the EU from 05.07.21 to 17.07.21 (13 days) and 04.10.21 to 04.11.21 (32 days) plus 1 day for 01.01.22 totals 46 days.
On 01.02.22 the 180 day period commenced 06.08.21 and your period in the EU will be 64 days.
On 27.02 22 the 180 days will commence on 02.09.21 and the total days in the EU will be 90.

Looks like 27th February will have to be your return date. 58 days it is.
Old 6 Nov 2021, 02:01 (Ref:4081752)   #2985
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Though as suggested earlier, there was a report in The Times on Friday saying that at a World Travel conference in London the Spanish in particular were arguing for a relaxation, as the UK visitors' spending was an important contribution to the Spanish economy......
Old 6 Nov 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4081774)   #2986
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Les 2 Tours d'Horloge this weekend at Paul Ricard, 24 hour in a row. Grid is well supported 34 entrants, 33 on the grid. Bad luck for a good mate, the engine of his 964 RS gave up at the end of Q. I've been inspired to decline his invitation to co-drive this car, I never appreciate the engine builder, cheater, liar and lazy person…

iaSVegWm?4
Old 6 Nov 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4081798)   #2987
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
This is an open question regarding the 90/180 length of stay in the Eurozone for us Brits.
I have my ideas but they seem to conflict with others including some so called official calculators on the internet, so come on you brainboxes what do you think ?
We went from 5th June until 17th July and then 4th October until 4th November this year, so if we book a flight for the 1st of January 2022 how long could we stay for ?
Until you need to go to the Drs ?
Old 6 Nov 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4081839)   #2988
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Until you need to go to the Drs ?
We actually have quite good health cover in Spain including the GHIC card that replaced the EHIC.
Joe have you actually tried to solve the question I asked ? as of yet I haven't had a definitive answer, however two people have come up with the same number so that's a start
The only problem is that if we overstay we will could get fined and not allowed back for some time
Old 6 Nov 2021, 21:57 (Ref:4081860)   #2989
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That delta chap was out in the Walter Hayes today and features in my Saturday selection here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmX5gMBD
Old 8 Nov 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4082127)   #2990
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Walter Hayes

Thank you for the photos "Percy".This was my first WHT in the 1600 and I will be certainly racing again in this race meeting.The racing was tough and i mean super tough. There were times when cars were coming at me and I,was thinking "no way is he going to try and pass me "Wrong !!. Driving standards were very good and we all gave each other space when running out of talent.
Rad cap came loose in qualy " blame the mechanic". I stopped just coming out of Copse after just 4 laps thinking the worse as there was steam issuing everywhere.At this point I must add that the marshaling was brilliant . Well done Fay and Alan you had a top team this weekend.Roll on 2022 BBQ at the Classic.Where was I. Ah yes so started second from last in my heat which was heat 4.Ended up P22 or 3rd from last but started to get used to the car "I had not raced for nearly 30 years". We then had an Historic race in the afternoon which was just so much fun and I really did start to get more confident and finished P20 with my times getting closer now to the cars ahead.
I must say that I can drive at Spa 6 hour for well over 3 hours with no problems at all. 8 laps with this lot and I was totally out of breath and exhausted. Changed the gears after the race and then had to get back home.I had promised Mrs Delta I would go to wedding reception with her Saturday night which was not far from Castle Combe. All in all over 200 mile round trip and not much sleep Saturday night.Come Sunday morning I drove like my Granny and dropped back down to second last in the consultation race and just missed going into last chance race by one place.
No matter, we had another Historic race in the afternoon.Turned out this last race was the best I have had all year with 5 of us running nose to tail for 12 laps. My times got quicker as well and I ended up P18 just half a second of the next two in front.
To sum up a super way to finish the year with lots of old chums coming by for a natter just made the day. I even had a chap called Cliff Watts who I had not seen since F4 days back in the early 80's. It was his Delta chassis number 024 which was my first Delta and started me on the road to setting up Delta Motor Sport. The rest they say is history. Happy Days.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4082137)   #2991
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
To sum up a super way to finish the year with lots of old chums coming by for a natter just made the day. I even had a chap called Cliff Watts who I had not seen since F4 days back in the early 80's. It was his Delta chassis number 024 which was my first Delta and started me on the road to setting up Delta Motor Sport. The rest they say is history. Happy Days.

That name rings a bell with me. Did he race a Hillman Imp in special saloons back in the early/mid 70s?

Pleased you had a good weekend, Iain.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4082138)   #2992
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
That name rings a bell with me. Did he race a Hillman Imp in special saloons back in the early/mid 70s?

I will ask. He ran the Delta with an Imp engine in F4.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 11:19 (Ref:4082147)   #2993
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This is an open question regarding the 90/180 length of stay in the Eurozone for us Brits.
I have my ideas but they seem to conflict with others including some so called official calculators on the internet, so come on you brainboxes what do you think ?
We went from 5th June until 17th July and then 4th October until 4th November this year, so if we book a flight for the 1st of January 2022 how long could we stay for ?
for what it's worth, i know a lad who has essentially lived in an eu country for work for most of this year. i also work in an eu country and am probably up to about 70 days in 180 at the moment. i'll likely hit 90 in december. my understand is that they aren't actually policing this rule currently.

given it's an eu restriction, theoretically it would be checked at your point of entry into the eu. upon returning to the uk they'd not really care. so you could stay as long as you fancied, come back and then stay in the uk long enough to reset it back.

i need to investigate further to understand the way the eu verify their entry and exit data, but some of us are potentially looking at a second passport.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4082186)   #2994
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

I'm pretty sure he did race Imps before F4.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4082214)   #2995
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep the stories of racing derring do coming guys, I do get vicarious enjoyment from them. I'm well jell, can't wait to take up my promised guest drive in Mini MM's MG Midget to be able to tell tales back.

Just got back from two days in Hectic Hampshire, quick turnaround and I'm off for a tour of the karting delights of the East Midlands before hitting Dorset for the weekend. I do get offered kart drives from time to time but with my clown feet and stork legs it's not an appealing prospect.

Happy days. "These are the days of our lives" as someone sang. (Perhaps that should be a Bauble's Hit Parade question? I'm sure he's up on 1990s popular beat combos)

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Nov 2021, 15:32 (Ref:4082217)   #2996
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Keep the stories of racing derring do coming guys, I do get vicarious enjoyment from them. I'm well jell, can't wait to take up my promised guest drive in Mini MM's MG Midget to be able to tell tales back.

Just got back from two days in Hectic Hampshire, quick turnaround and I'm off for a tour of the karting delights of the East Midlands before hitting Dorset for the weekend. I do get offered kart drives from time to time but with my clown feet and stork legs it's not an appealing prospect.

Happy days. "These are the days of our lives" as someone sang. (Perhaps that should be a Bauble's Hit Parade question? I'm sure he's up on 1990s popular beat combos)

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

"The day the music died"

1990's pop stars are like Formula Ford to me, far to modern, Hail, Hail, Rock' Roll, Jerry Lee, Buddy, Gene, Fats, Ricky, Larry, Elvis. Those were Happy Days., Getting chucked out of theatres by police after 'rioting' broke out, well we did like to dance in the aisles.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 21:47 (Ref:4082263)   #2997
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

given it's an eu restriction, theoretically it would be checked at your point of entry into the eu. upon returning to the uk they'd not really care. so you could stay as long as you fancied, come back and then stay in the uk long enough to reset it back.

i need to investigate further to understand the way the eu verify their entry and exit data, but some of us are potentially looking at a second passport.
Thanks for coming back bella. All passports for non EU personal are now being stamped on arrival "and" departure at EU ports/airports so they can easily check on the amount of time you have stayed within the zone, whereas they hadn't up until Brexit. As you are probably aware the 90/180 day rule has always been in place for years in all of the EU countries and the UK was never in the schengen zone, but I have never heard of anyone being pulled up on it. There have been (and still are) people that have been living under the radar in Spain for years, but people have been made more aware of it this year since Brexit and there is a lot of backbiting regarding them from some of the resident expats on the social media platforms.
Things have altered in this "big brother" computer era where things can be checked instantly, unlike before where it would have been too time consuming for the guards to bother with at ports/airports.
What I don't want to happen is that we get found by "big brother" for a few days overstay and get our names flagged up the next time we go back and get turned away or fined or both !. We have an option of depositing a large amount of money in a Spanish bank and paying for a gold visa or as you state a second passport. My wife's mother was Irish and I would also be allowed to travel with her if she can get one.
The chances are that the Spanish might turn a blind eye to all this, but of course it's an EU rule so relates to all their countries with open borders.
Old 8 Nov 2021, 22:24 (Ref:4082272)   #2998
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
And with Spain, airlines have to provide the Spanish authorities with a passenger manifesto before the aircraft even leaves the ground on their way. And that was introduced long before Brexit was even voted for in 2016. I would assume the same applies for the Ferries as well before they leave port.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 01:45 (Ref:4082287)   #2999
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
............. My wife's mother was Irish and I would also be allowed to travel with her if she can get one.
The chances are that the Spanish might turn a blind eye to all this, but of course it's an EU rule so relates to all their countries with open borders.
Piece of cake Gordon; my daughter-in-law had an Irish grandparent and she obtained an Irish passport easily earlier this year.
Old 9 Nov 2021, 06:01 (Ref:4082305)   #3000
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Went to the Sandown Historic meet over the weekend.... members allowed to one corner of the circuit only with no facilities. I managed after the rcing was over to get into the paddock to catch up with a few mates. Weather had been good all day despite rain forecast. Went in and helped set up the Marshal's BBQ we always do after te Saturday of the meeting, and it started to spit with rain. Within 5 minutes it was a deluge like I have not seen for many moons. Got absolutely drowned rat drenched while we were carrying the beers into the pit garages where we always have the BBQ. Decided to hang around for half an hour to let the worst of it blow over. Still chucking it down I ventured back to my car in the paddock. It was flooded in the low parts. I ended up wading through water half way up my shins. Got to the car and headed for home but the paddock exit road was under water with cars up to the axles.

Even the main road back towards the city (3 lanes each way) was flooded so you could not see the central reservation.....

The things we put up with to go motor racing! Yeah I was back the next day where the forecast was almost as bad. No flooding this time.

A few piccies of what it was like.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3477.JPG   IMG_3479.JPG   IMG_3480.JPG  

IMG_3481.JPG   IMG_3483.JPG   IMG_3482.JPG  

Closed Thread