Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Aug 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1389040)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Archie Scott-Brown at Snetterton

I spent a pleasurable couple of hours recently with Brian Lister at his wonderful home, fascinated with his tales of Archie. A couple of days earlier I was in the company of my old friend Jack Sears who was a very close friend of the great little Scottish driver. Infact Archie was godfather to his son David, boss of Supernova Racing GP2 team.

The reason I wanted to see them both was to show them the 40 x 30in painting below, which I have done of Archie in what Brian describes 'the' Lister Jaguar. The scene is Archie's victory in the 1957 Stanley Sears ( Jack's father) trophy race at Snetterton, in the famous MVE 303. I have shown him in the Esses, now known as the 'bombhole', with the contemporary limited amount of spectator protection, provided by the low wooden fence as was in '57. The long Norwich Straight was parallel to the hedge/trees in the distance.

This painting was commissioned by Steve Bradley, like me a Cambridge man. It was therefore a pleasure to paint a scene of this famous Cambridge marque, driven by it's famous Cambridge resident, at our local track.

Steve will publish it as a Brian Lister signed print and Jonathan Palmer will enlarge the painting to a couple of metres wide to fill one of the walls in the refurbished 'Tyrrells' restaurant at the circuit. One of the framed prints will be displayed in the new Archie Scott-Brown centre, the new scruitineering building at the circuit.

Those familiar with the old Archie memorial plaque that was displayed since 1969 on the old (recently demolished) scruitineering garage at Snett should not despair. It is safe and well at the new building. Jonathan admirably has a good sense of the history of his circuits. Brian, Jack and John Pearson were worried that it may dissappear and wanted to move it to the BRDC at Silverstone. However Jonathan said it must stay at Snetterton. John Pearson took a rubbing of the memorial stone and a replica is now placed in the grounds of the BRDC suite, unveiled at the recent HSCC classic meeting. It is placed next to the Graham Hill memorial.
The bronze face sculpture of Archie, positioned in the centre of the memorial has also been reproduced, amazingly using the original mould, which has been with the original artist Cavendish Morton on the Isle of Wight, now well into his 90s.

I hope in a small way, I have helped with this painting to keep the legend of Archie alive, as Brian says ' a real 'Boy's own' schoolboy story. Having read Doug Nye's book 'Powered by Jaguar' which certainly helped me with research and also reading 'Archie and the Listers', speaking to Brian and Jack, I could not help thinking Archie and Brian's story would make a wonderful and moving film.

I was born after Archie's death. I hope I have managed to capture the scene as some of you here may remember.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1389046)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another superb picture of a great subject, Andrew - I want one of the prints, please - where do I put my name down?

Yes, it would be make a great but extremely poignant film.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1389273)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
funnily enough I outlined the story to a firend of mine in the TV world and his view was that it would appeal to a limited audience..
I actually think that a series of some of the great characters of racing would make great watching but that is another thread!
great painting
Old 23 Aug 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1389276)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks chaps. Brian confirmed to me that this car, the original Lister Jaguar was broken up after its return from the New Zealand tour in the winter of '57/'58. He said it was worthless and you could virtually give away D-types back then. No-one wanted them. What would it be worth now if it was still in existance? Could imagine it being thrown around at the revival in almost 'Archie' sideways style!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1389297)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another good one Andrew. Archie's story is an inspiration to many of us.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1389475)   #6
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Iv got loads of motor racing books but Archie and the Listers is my all time favorite. A helluva story! A helluva guy id say and what a shame he died like he did but he obviously pushed it well beyond the limits.Pure bravery.The bit about the team bringing the car home from Spa is goosepimply stuff. i will keep a lookout for a print if it is available its magnificent.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1389537)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Jack told me of the time they did the Monte together in 1956. At the time, the pair of them smoked. When Archie was driving, he could control the car with the 'stub' he had as his disabled right hand, yet somehow open the cigarette packet, take one out, open the box of matches and strike it, all with his left hand, at the same time doing 90mph on an Alpine roads sideways. Jack said he had remarkable car control and balance. He would always win the 'slow' bicycle race at school, balancing on the spot without actually moving off the line.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1389745)   #8
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant picture Andrew. Captures the spirit of Snet and Archie.

Interesting stories. I have re-read Archie and the Lister yet again. With his handicap he was surely inspirational for us all.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1391297)   #9
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations Andrew, what a great picture.
So pleased to hear the plaque has stayed at its rightful home, but I seem to remember it being installed while I was acting as a 'race runner' at Snett in maybe the mid seventies? Please tell me that at 38 I'm not already losing my marbles!!!!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1391333)   #10
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Thanks chaps. Brian confirmed to me that this car, the original Lister Jaguar was broken up after its return from the New Zealand tour in the winter of '57/'58. He said it was worthless and you could virtually give away D-types back then. No-one wanted them. What would it be worth now if it was still in existance? Could imagine it being thrown around at the revival in almost 'Archie' sideways style!
Maybe they should get Pete Hardeman to drive one at Goodwood. I remember seeing him drive the Dino in '98, throwing it sideways through Fordwater. My observer said it reminded him of Archie.
Brilliant painting Andrew, wouldn't mind one myself.

Ok trivia time now. Anyone who knows anything about Archie will know he lived in Portugal Place in Cambridge. But did you know that Tony Purnell (ex Jag F1 boss) started Pi Research on his kitchen table in Portugal Place. (Never have found out if it was the same house).

Steve B
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1391352)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Blimey didn't know that Steve, Archie lived at 17 Portugal Place, before that 163 Hills Road. Another bit of trivia, he went to the Perse school, same school as famous Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour and Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett lived just down the road number 183 Hills Road but a few years later!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1391381)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 27
Congratulations Andrew, what a great picture.
So pleased to hear the plaque has stayed at its rightful home, but I seem to remember it being installed while I was acting as a 'race runner' at Snett in maybe the mid seventies? Please tell me that at 38 I'm not already losing my marbles!!!!
Sorry Tim, but according to the books it was unveiled by Bill Scott Brown at Snett at the end of the day's racing at the opening meeting of the '69 season. To quote from Robert Edwards' 'Archie and the Listers':

"At the end of the day of furious activity and strident noise, an almost uncanny silence settled on the circuit when the beautiful memorial plaque to Archie Scott Brown was unveiled by his father. The vast crowd on both sides of the course was completely stilled as it paid its respects to that fine man who, as the inscription reminds us, if a reminder should ever be needed, represented all that is best in the sport. If ever a man was genuinely admired, by those who knew him personally and by those who only applauded his great skill and indomitable courage from the spectators' enclosure, that man was Archie Scott Brown; it is fitting that his home circuit should have this perpetual tribute to his memory".
Old 25 Aug 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1391433)   #13
stevebrown
Racer

England
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
it is fitting that his home circuit should have this perpetual tribute to his memory".
Yes and it would have been a travesty had the memorial been moved to Silverstone. Especially to the BRDC where only the privledged few would have seen it. Thanks Mr Palmer for preserving a piece of history.

Steve B
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1392875)   #14
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you do not mind this question - when did this great car have headlights fitted ?
Most of the photos I have seen have lights up front. Great painting ........
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1392877)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thankyou! The headlights were fitted a little later in the '57 season, when the car was entered for international events, as required by the regs. The car stayed in this configuration, with lights, until the end of it's life when broken up on return from the NZ races in early '58.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1393020)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown
Maybe they should get Pete Hardeman to drive one at Goodwood. I remember seeing him drive the Dino in '98, throwing it sideways through Fordwater. My observer said it reminded him of Archie.
Steve B
No, no, Steve, surely his driving of the DBR1/300 is more appropriate to that style than the Dino, given the handling characteristics of the two cars ..... or am I just imagining that?
Old 28 Aug 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1393253)   #17
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John
Had you been standing at Bridge on the Sunday of the Silverstone two day meeting a week or so ago you could have seen Pete Hardman driving the Dino in just that way - big armful of lock into the apex then drifting through - and the same line each time, traffic allowing. Brought a huge grin to this old fool's face I can tell you!
Tony Hodson
Old 29 Aug 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1394076)   #18
stevebrown
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
No, no, Steve, surely his driving of the DBR1/300 is more appropriate to that style than the Dino, given the handling characteristics of the two cars ..... or am I just imagining that?
Yes, I see your point. The sight of Pete drifting the DBR is awesome but if you were at the first Revival you'll know what I mean. It was something else. I have never seen a car go through Fordwater at the angle the Dino was and stay on the track. Pete was driving the Dino that day because Stirling Moss was in the DBR.

Steve B
Old 30 Aug 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1394293)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodsonaj
John
Had you been standing at Bridge on the Sunday of the Silverstone two day meeting a week or so ago you could have seen Pete Hardman driving the Dino in just that way - big armful of lock into the apex then drifting through - and the same line each time, traffic allowing. Brought a huge grin to this old fool's face I can tell you!
Tony Hodson
Tony, I really wanted to go (I used to go to all the Coys meetings) but sadly had to miss it. Sounds like great stuff - I'm a big fan of Hardman's driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown
Yes, I see your point. The sight of Pete drifting the DBR is awesome but if you were at the first Revival you'll know what I mean. It was something else. I have never seen a car go through Fordwater at the angle the Dino was and stay on the track. Pete was driving the Dino that day because Stirling Moss was in the DBR.

Steve B
Steve, I was at the first revival and you have reminded me of Hardman's drive in the Dino. I guess, I am more used to seeing the Dino being cornered in the flatter style of Dron whilst Hardman is drifting the Aston, hence my earlier post. Actually several other aspects of that first Revival Lavant Cup race left stronger memories than the Dino. A very fine drive by Tony Smith in the Birdcage to keep Hardman honest (we've not seen a Maser at the sharp end since in the Lavant Cup since), the lonely and disappointing race of the DBR2 (Redman) in third, when I thought it should have been in contention for the win, Frank Sytner chucking the D-type about and, best of all, the wonderful dicing between Moss, Willie Green, Martin Brundle and Win Percy. Heros all!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1394301)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Your comments chaps remind us all why we love our sport. Peter Hardman and Grant Williams in the Mk1 Jaguar are the two most spectacular drivers at the revival in my mind. Something sadly lacking in modern racing is this sideways action ( although GP2 is showing promise). One modern car, lapping on its own is not spectacular, but I could stand and watch Peter or Grant all day. To me it is the 'Ronnie' factor - we used to watch from Woodcote waiting in anticipation for him to come around lap after lap in practice, just wondering how sideways he would be the next time. Same sort of anticipation with Keke on that 160mph flying lap in '85. I wish I had been around to see Archie - a legend at sideways spectacular cornering by all accounts. Modern cars and tyres, over engineered!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1394318)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Peter Hardman and Grant Williams in the Mk1 Jaguar are the two most spectacular drivers at the revival in my mind. I could stand and watch Peter or Grant all day.

I wish I had been around to see Archie - a legend at sideways spectacular cornering by all accounts.
Andrew, agreed and .... agreed again! Relatively old though I am, even I was only 8 years old when Archie died!
Old 3 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1398131)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at Goodwood as a youngster when Archie raced there, but I really was to young to remember anything over flamboyant at the time. I do remember he was bloody quick really flying, extremely aggressive, particularly for someone with a disability. His Brown 'leather' helmet I can still picture; that and waking Clark up.
You're right Andrew; it's the truth that modern race cars with so much grip from modern rubber, aerodynamics and very exacting geometries positively legislate against large slip angles. Pity isn't it? With our own race program in latter years, things only really got interesting when there was a lot of traffic, it rained or nighttime came - great if all at once, round Spa for example!
Old 3 Sep 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1398136)   #23
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Talking of aggression and large slip angles, no doubt you've seen those wonderful pictures of Clark in the DB4 Zagato through Fordwater have you. They were pretty amazing angles as he hustled an outstandingly attractive car at high speed.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1398349)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, absolutely, John. The first painting I ever bought was by Andy Danks of Clark in 2 VEV at Goodwood, although Andy attributes it to 1964 when it should be 1962 TT. Beautiful car but uncompetitive even in Clark's hands. I think this was the race that he put the car offline through Madgwick to allow the race leader, Surtees, to lap him, only to lose it and take them both out of the race. Even his incredible car control couldn't get him out of that 'amazing angle'.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1398360)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The first painting I ever bought was by Andy Danks of Clark in 2 VEV at Goodwood, although Andy attributes it to 1964 when it should be 1962 TT.
Actually, I must correct myself. Having just looked at the picture again, I note that 2 VEV has the original nose, so it must habe been of the 1961 TT. It was carrying the later more droopy nose (which it still carries, I believe) when the incident, described in my previous post, occurred in 1962!

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2007 at 12:26.