Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2859411)   #2401
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Can't help but wonder if the no show from the Kronos Lola-Aston (and pull out from the Le mans reserve list it would seem) might have been due to a quiet word.

Not going to Sebring (where the car couldn't have been much worse) of course also allowed them not having to face the old car also

Sorry, my inner cynic gets a hold of me sometimes
Nope - just no budget
Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2859412)   #2402
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
One of the two took a big hit at the start and suffered throughout the race as a result - Hardly Aston's fault
Sorry did not know that, have been able to find a recording of the race yet.

What happen to the other car?

Cheers
Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2859414)   #2403
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
Sorry did not know that, have been able to find a recording of the race yet.

What happen to the other car?

Cheers
It led GTE Pro for a while - ran solidly in the top three but then had a engine bay belt mounting shear
Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2859421)   #2404
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
According to the Aston Martin racing site the car is doing better than expected so far. As has been said, its very early stages for the car and it would be foolish to jump to conclusions regarding the cars apparant lack of pace so far. IMO. Here is the article im reffering to if anyone wants to have a read. http://www.astonmartinracing.com/new...4-04a19108266f
Yea, but at the same time, you're not going to announce to the world what a bad state your program is in your own PR...
Old 6 Apr 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2859466)   #2405
rustycrankshaft
Rookie

New Zealand
Dow' nunder
rustycrankshaft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG View Post
I think the fin and front fenders should be pale blue
Exactly my thoughts, I think fundementally the car looks good but it let down by the hideous orange fin. Pale blue would go a long way towards disguising this
Old 6 Apr 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2859499)   #2406
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Amidst all this talk of expectations, we should remember that, irrespective of what Aston Martin expect, the fans expect - and in some cases have paid - to see a motor race. Aston Martin seem not to have been racing at Ricard last weekend, merely carrying out a test session whilst a race was going on.

We're four weeks away from Spa where I expect to see Peugeot or Audi, for example, at the front of the field, making minor changes to find the odd tenth of a second, not at the back of the P1 field still trying to find whole seconds to get the car up to a competitive speed.

If you were buying any product, you would expect it to be capable of doing the job and that the manufacturer would have refined it by the time it was available to the public. Aston have done themselves no favours by trying to rush the P1 and by prematurely "releasing" it to the public. They should have continued testing behind closed doors until it was deemed capable of lapping in competitive times somewhere near the front.

Having said all that, I hope they sort themselves out quickly and that we soon see them challenging the diesels.

Old 6 Apr 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2859500)   #2407
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Ooops. Double Post.

Old 6 Apr 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2859539)   #2408
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Amidst all this talk of expectations, we should remember that, irrespective of what Aston Martin expect, the fans expect - and in some cases have paid - to see a motor race. Aston Martin seem not to have been racing at Ricard last weekend, merely carrying out a test session whilst a race was going on.

We're four weeks away from Spa where I expect to see Peugeot or Audi, for example, at the front of the field, making minor changes to find the odd tenth of a second, not at the back of the P1 field still trying to find whole seconds to get the car up to a competitive speed.

If you were buying any product, you would expect it to be capable of doing the job and that the manufacturer would have refined it by the time it was available to the public. Aston have done themselves no favours by trying to rush the P1 and by prematurely "releasing" it to the public. They should have continued testing behind closed doors until it was deemed capable of lapping in competitive times somewhere near the front.

Having said all that, I hope they sort themselves out quickly and that we soon see them challenging the diesels.

Not sure I wholly agree here. I'm with you on wanting to see a battle at the front and cars challenging for the win, but if we can't have that I'd rather have a car on the track going round and looking as decent as possible. In the past I've been disappointed in teams that chose to test behind closed doors rather than racing, and I've got to give a bit of credit to Aston Martin for having the courage to expose themselves to this level of scrutiny.

In terms of spectacle at Ricard, I honestly don't think the Aston Martin did anything to detract from the show.

As people said right at the outset of the Peugeot programme in 2007, they had limited chance of winning Le Mans in June, and by not going to Sebring they reduced that chance from slim to nonexistent. I'm not saying the AMR-One is a 905 - but ultimately getting the data from racing will tell them things, especially when it seems to be combined a solid traditional test programme.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2859556)   #2409
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Andy Meyrick reports that they are testing for a 2nd day at Paul Ricard: http://twitter.com/AndyMeyrick/status/55536487931973632
Old 6 Apr 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2859599)   #2410
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Andy Meyrick reports that they are testing for a 2nd day at Paul Ricard: http://twitter.com/AndyMeyrick/status/55536487931973632
Like his twitter pictures with Audi everywhere
Old 6 Apr 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2859647)   #2411
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
5 Questions With George Howard-Chappell (SPEED.com)

He repeats what he said on Radio Le Mans (see here):
Quote:
If you look at the restrictor size carried over to this year, there’s a very small shift towards the petrol engine. But if you take account of the 30kg of ballast diesels were carrying last year that’s now wiped out, with the diesels and petrols both at 900kg, that’s more than taken care of. So basically, you’re looking at the same equivalency, slightly worse, than what you saw racing last year.

I think everyone would agree it’s not balanced yet and that Article 19 will need to be applied. The ACO now have the tools to do that; it’s in the regulations. We need to now wait for it to happen.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2859658)   #2412
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I found this picture of the back of the AMR-One and noticed that they are some minor changes compared to the launch version (see here). The exhaust is covered and the rear brakes got some extra cooling. It is unclear what the small wire mesh on the engine cover is for...
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2859668)   #2413
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the purpose of the mesh is simple........its to catch the pieces of cylinder block, pistons and con-rods and prevent them causing punctures on other cars.......but I believe it will struggle to catch the oil........sorry I couldnt resist ;-)
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2859674)   #2414
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame to hear the Kronos Lola Aston pulled out. I was hoping it would sneak in, just so we could hear that glorious V12 one more time.

We'll always have the Corvettes.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2859675)   #2415
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame to hear the Kronos Lola Aston pulled out. I was hoping it would sneak in, just so we could hear that glorious V12 one more time.

We'll always have the Corvettes.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2859686)   #2416
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycrankshaft View Post
Exactly my thoughts, I think fundementally the car looks good but it let down by the hideous orange fin. Pale blue would go a long way towards disguising this
I'm glad to hear somebody else say that, because that is what I have been thinking - the black fenders are terrible! And on that note, I don't think the Oak cars in Gulf livery are looking that great this year either.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2859721)   #2417
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://twitter.com/Harold_Primat

"Very good test day today! Much progress made."
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2859792)   #2418
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
acox93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I found this picture of the back of the AMR-One and noticed that they are some minor changes compared to the launch version (see here). The exhaust is covered and the rear brakes got some extra cooling. It is unclear what the small wire mesh on the engine cover is for...
Exactly which bit of mesh are you refering to?
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2859812)   #2419
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by acox93 View Post
Exactly which bit of mesh are you refering to?
On the right, just behind the roll hoop.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2859843)   #2420
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
It vents hot air from the exhaust area of the engine bay, the mesh itself is just there to comply with the regulations. Also the exhaust exit has always been covered, the launch photo is just a bit misleading.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2859910)   #2421
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
It vents hot air from the exhaust area of the engine bay, the mesh itself is just there to comply with the regulations.
Isn't this the function of the "coke bottle" under the dorsal fin? I am talking about the very small hole in the engine cover...
Quote:
Also the exhaust exit has always been covered, the launch photo is just a bit misleading.
The first solution (which clearly did not work) was a lot smaller: http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/23339/AMLM_1-L.jpg
Old 6 Apr 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2859924)   #2422
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://twitter.com/andymeyrick

AndyMeyrick

Flying home after 2 great days testing at paul ricard
Old 6 Apr 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2859929)   #2423
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
Quote:
Isn't this the function of the "coke bottle" under the dorsal fin? I am talking about the very small hole in the engine cover...
The first solution (which clearly did not work) was a lot smaller: http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/23339/AMLM_1-L.jpg
Yes the very small hole is an outlet for hot air generated by the exhaust and i can assure you that is the same exhaust outlet as it is even the very same bodywork and the exhaust outlet has not been modified. All we did was put some silver heat reflective tape where the bodywork was burnt.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2859943)   #2424
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Why do you think this image shows an unsuccessful solution?
Old 7 Apr 2011, 06:39 (Ref:2860013)   #2425
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Why do you think this image shows an unsuccessful solution?
The carbon fibre bodywork looks burnt. acox93 explained that this was solved with heat reflective tape.