Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 May 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3406830)   #4226
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Sadly, I completely expect people in fifty years to come will be saying the same about now.

Wondering what Porsche will be writing underneath their wing. 'See you later' ?
Understood.

jimclark
Old 16 May 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3406832)   #4227
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
My apologies! I'm a little dense today.
TodAy????

jimclark
Old 16 May 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3406842)   #4228
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Yes.
I would guess they tested the new front drive shaft and messed with the wiring to make sure they don't have electrical issues again.
The "electrical issues" was due to a crash sensor that was set too conservatively. They were going to be reviewed.
Old 16 May 2014, 05:25 (Ref:3406843)   #4229
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
TodAy????
Well..OK...everyday.
Old 16 May 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3406844)   #4230
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Doesn't sound to me that they will do the Paul Ricard test.
Old 16 May 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3406916)   #4231
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
and messed with the wiring to make sure they don't have electrical issues again.
Wonder if they ran over a bunch of the curbs in testing?
Old 16 May 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3406945)   #4232
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Wonder if they ran over a bunch of the curbs in testing?
Good point. If you muller the kerbs at Ford Chicane that's a long way to crawl back around if the same problem strikes again.
Old 17 May 2014, 04:30 (Ref:3407134)   #4233
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Good point. If you muller the kerbs at Ford Chicane that's a long way to crawl back around if the same problem strikes again.
Am I correct in that they thought that running over the curbs/kerbs at Spa caused both the broken axles and the overly conservative crash sensor that triggered the false alarm? If so, it seems that hitting the curbs/kerbs hard in testing would be a good test. If they survive, test passed. If not, then it will be strict instructions to the drivers to stay off the curbs/kerbs at Le Mans, I would think.
Old 17 May 2014, 05:16 (Ref:3407140)   #4234
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well, there goes the ford and dunlop chicanes. I dont think its a quick fix. If its suspension related it could be a fundamental problem. But I hope its not that deeply rooted.
Old 17 May 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3407147)   #4235
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
It was the front drive shaft that broke. They had already identified the issue and had stronger parts in the pipeline before Spa. They fitted them after Spa and tested them successfully at Aragon.
Old 17 May 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3407152)   #4236
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
And what of the sensor issue?
Old 17 May 2014, 07:07 (Ref:3407157)   #4237
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Hitzinger said that they were reviewing them too.
Old 17 May 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3407162)   #4238
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
And what of the sensor issue?
That probably need recalibrating to set it less sensitive.
Old 17 May 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3407182)   #4239
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
What I find more worrisome is that other weaknesses were detected and that they would "try"and fix them before Le Mans. This is not too comforting to hear. There is no "try"; Just "do". On the other hand, we don't know what these issue were/are. Hopefully they are small issues that are controllable/manageable.
Old 17 May 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3407352)   #4240
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
It seems the bottom line is that the 919 is fast but fragile. It is, though, a new car so much of this is quite understandable.

I think many of us were thinking that Porsche would get it perfect on the first try. They have done very well but are mortal like the rest.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3408285)   #4241
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

New weekly miniseries of Webber's journey to LM
http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...mans-webisode1
Old 21 May 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3408697)   #4242
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
It seems the bottom line is that the 919 is fast but fragile. It is, though, a new car so much of this is quite understandable.

I think many of us were thinking that Porsche would get it perfect on the first try. They have done very well but are mortal like the rest.
Not to mention the people that are doing the 919 are almost a completely different set of engineers than those who did the legends in the past. Not to say they can't do it, they are just simply different talents working differently.
Old 21 May 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3408703)   #4243
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What I find more worrisome is that other weaknesses were detected and that they would "try"and fix them before Le Mans. This is not too comforting to hear. There is no "try"; Just "do". On the other hand, we don't know what these issue were/are. Hopefully they are small issues that are controllable/manageable.
Better to say this than come out and say you will fix it, then have the issue at LM.

The electronic sensitivity may be something do do with the fire that affected the car in testing. Better to err on the side of caution till you know it is safe than ruin a car.
Old 21 May 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3408817)   #4244
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think some people are reading too much into "try and fix this"...
This is just business. They identify a weakness and redesign. Maybe it makes the car stronger, maybe it doesn't. It's not like they will go into the race with a car that they know will break at hour 13, and 30 seconds...They fully expect it to go the distance. Why shouldn't it?
Old 21 May 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3408826)   #4245
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As a Manchester United fan, I could give you lectures on how utterly depressing that word can be, but in this case I think it's used correctly. There is no doubt Porsche are putting everything into this effort, they're just being realistic about the unseen issues that only full-blooded race conditions will reveal. Just ask Toyota and Peugeot ...
Old 22 May 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3408848)   #4246
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
The electronic sensitivity may be something do do with the fire that affected the car in testing.
I disagree. While watching the Spa broadcast, there was a message that went out from the Porsche camp during the live broadcast to the drivers to avoid hitting the curbs too hard. It seems doing so had a dual affect of breaking axles and triggering the conservatively-set crash sensor.
Old 22 May 2014, 04:36 (Ref:3408861)   #4247
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps what he means is that events during the fire caused them to make this safety device more sensitive?
Old 22 May 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3408862)   #4248
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This is just business. They identify a weakness and redesign. Maybe it makes the car stronger, maybe it doesn't. It's not like they will go into the race with a car that they know will break at hour 13, and 30 seconds...They fully expect it to go the distance. Why shouldn't it?
Agree. I'd bet every time a team like Porsche, Audi, Toyota, etc... tests, they find flaws to fix. Hell it probably happens every time they run the car.

All I think we can read into Porsche tests finding flaws is that they're testing and testing a lot. The whole point of tests is to find flaws and make them better.
Old 22 May 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3408863)   #4249
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
As a Manchester United fan, I could give you lectures on how utterly depressing that word can be, but in this case I think it's used correctly. There is no doubt Porsche are putting everything into this effort, they're just being realistic about the unseen issues that only full-blooded race conditions will reveal. Just ask Toyota and Peugeot ...
As a Benfica fan, I sympathize completely.
The issues I was referring to are not "unseen issues" but rather ones that were further identified. They are a known quantity.
My problem with the use of the word "try" is not so much that I doubt that Porsche are putting everything into it, but rather that it may indicate issues that are too complex or too big to fix (properly) within the short time span before Le Mans.

Hopefully the usage of the word was not meant to telegraph any major problems.
Old 22 May 2014, 05:36 (Ref:3408864)   #4250
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I sincerely hope that you are correct.
Again: The issue here is in the way the press release was written. A different wording such as: " further issues were identified and we will work to fix them..." communicates confidence and I certainly would not have questioned it further. Normal testing procedure.
Choosing to use the word "try" telegraphs a difficult challenge.
Lets hope that it was just a poor choice of words.