Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2022, 12:55 (Ref:4106136)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lando Norris edging out Daniel Ricciardo to take fifth place made it three British drivers in the top five for the first time since the 1999 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 12:59 (Ref:4106137)   #52
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
the two bounciest cars are 1 and 2 iin both championships
What does this mean please?
Old 10 Apr 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4106144)   #53
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
What does this mean please?
I think it means that Ferrari and Mercedes are the two cars that have the most noticeable porpoising. And that those cars are 1&2 in both WCC and WDC.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 17:03 (Ref:4106156)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Williams in the points.

Richard
Old 10 Apr 2022, 20:48 (Ref:4106186)   #55
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Stewards flag need for change of SC protocols.

The footage from MSC's car of that one showed just how close it was - if change needed to avoid it, then hopefully the change comes soon.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4106198)   #56
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I never thought I'd think this let alone type it: F1 needs a restart zone. Everyone closes up, and if they're all in the box, bingo - green.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 22:19 (Ref:4106210)   #57
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I never thought I'd think this let alone type it: F1 needs a restart zone. Everyone closes up, and if they're all in the box, bingo - green.
Good plan. I like that idea.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 22:22 (Ref:4106211)   #58
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can you imagine what Christian Horner would be saying if they were still using Renault engines and had three failures in three races?
Old 10 Apr 2022, 22:25 (Ref:4106212)   #59
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I always thought he had it in for Renault, but Honda has always escaped his ire.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 22:39 (Ref:4106213)   #60
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
the two bounciest cars are 1 and 2 iin both championships

good to see george get his 1st podium, glad he is ahead of lewis.
good to see mclaren coming back too

shocking weekend for vettee and astonm
bit of a nasty one for williams too saved by 1 albons point.

No real explanation about Sainz day. The car was crap from the moment it made the grid, no wonder he crashed.
Sainz missed his fast lap because of the red flag after Alo's incident.
Then he had tried something different by putting hard's on for the start.
Couldn't get enough heat into them. His off was precipitated by an electrical gremlin in his steering wheel before the start and it had to be replaced.
The replacement didn't have all his settings programmed into it and activated the anti stall.
Basically a weekend where lots of things that could be programmed into making your life difficult was evident.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 23:37 (Ref:4106220)   #61
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not sure I've ever seen it so quiet in here after qualifying for a GP.....
I was at the track all weekend and nowhere near a computer

Maybe there are more Aussies on TT than we thought!
Old 10 Apr 2022, 23:39 (Ref:4106221)   #62
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Williams in the points.

Richard
That was some drive by Albon
Old 11 Apr 2022, 00:25 (Ref:4106223)   #63
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That wouldn't solve this problem though. It was during the SC laps, not the restart.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 03:27 (Ref:4106229)   #64
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Can you imagine what Christian Horner would be saying if they were still using Renault engines and had three failures in three races?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...oblem/9773205/

Funny, you don't normally have the car on fire from that sort of problem!
Old 11 Apr 2022, 04:03 (Ref:4106230)   #65
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think it means that Ferrari and Mercedes are the two cars that have the most noticeable porpoising. And that those cars are 1&2 in both WCC and WDC.
Yes that was my thought
Old 11 Apr 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4106242)   #66
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a problem with the softer Pirelli rubber?

Previous seasons driver learned to stay out of the dirty air because your tire would be go off the cliff pretty rapidly if you tried to compensate the lack of downforce/stability with more work from the tires. This year the downforce and balance in the dirty air is much better, temping drivers to stay close and see if they can get a shot.

Problem seems to be the softer compounds can't hold up. Yesterday 50 lap old C2's after ten or so laps started to outperform brand new C3's. Also previous races only the harder compound could keep up. Looks like the aero is making staying close more attractive, but the softer compounds can't handle it. Would there still be time for Pirelli to change the tires to a harder allocation the second half of the season?
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4106243)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Williams in the points.

Richard
Every team bar Aston Martin has now scored at least one point......
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4106245)   #68
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It was interesting hearing the Albon interview after the race. Basically the hard tyre for them performed very well , being quick and durable - so well that rather than tip-toeing around looking after the tyres as you might have expected, he was actually pushing hard like he was in a qualifying session lap after lap (which I think is what we like to see).

I don't know whether this was a one-off thing that only worked for Williams at this particular track, or perhaps we will see the same elsewhere. Either way, I'm sure that the strategists for other teams will be looking very closely at that.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:23 (Ref:4106249)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Yesterday 50 lap old C2's after ten or so laps started to outperform brand new C3's.
I'm struggling to understand what you are saying here - can you clarify please?

It reads like you are suggesting that a 50-lap old C2 was quicker than a brand new C3?

If I look at who ran the C2s for the longest:

DriverC2 LapsFastest C2 LapOn LapFastest C3 lapOn Lap
Magnussen3984.174s3883.071s44
Alonso3984.131s3280.846s57*
Albon5782.589s5487.465s**58

* - Alonso fitted a second set of C3 tyres on lap 53. His fastest time on the first set of C3 was 83.53s on lap 44.
** - Albon put on a set of C5 for his final lap.

Albon's time of 82.589s on lap 54 would have been on really light fuel, and he was pushing hard for a point at that time.
Compare that to everyone else's fastest lap, and I don't see that 50-lap old C2s were quicker:
DriverFastest LapOn LapTyreTyre Age
Leclerc80.260s58C220
Alonso80.846s57C33
Perez81.094s58C238
Russell81.495s53C230
Bottas81.651s54C232
Verstappen81.677s37C219
Hamilton81.886s51C229
Norris82.248s55C235
Ricciardo82.451s54C233
Ocon82.469s58C241
Guanyu82.541s55C234
Albon82.589s54C254

Personally, I think the fuel load was more of a factor than the tyre deg in determining lap time - particularly when you look at the comparison between Alonso and Norris. Alonso was on new C3s, and able to lap 2 seconds quicker than Norris on 35-lap old C2s.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 09:55 (Ref:4106277)   #70
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm struggling to understand what you are saying here - can you clarify please?

It reads like you are suggesting that a 50-lap old C2 was quicker than a brand new C3?
Quicker than a 10 lap old C3. Magnussen and Alonso could push for a few laps but than their pace dropped of strongly while the C2 kept going.

Previous races, compounds other than the hardest were also breaking apart.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 10:31 (Ref:4106283)   #71
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Quicker than a 10 lap old C3. Magnussen and Alonso could push for a few laps but than their pace dropped of strongly while the C2 kept going.
I'm not seeing it in the data - and with just two drivers I don't think the case is very strong.

Magnussen:
Put on a set of C3 tyres on lap 40.
His fastest lap on them was a 83.071s when they were 4 laps old.
When they were 15 laps old, he was still able to put in an 83s lap.

Alonso:
His fastest lap on them was a 83.53 when they were 4 laps old.
He was then in a battle for 9th with Guanyu, Schumacher, Bottas, Gasly and Stroll for a few laps, so I don't think the lap times are indicative of true pace.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 11:19 (Ref:4106292)   #72
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Oddly enough, the 1997 Williams Renault Laguna used to perform better on harder tyres than the softer range.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4106310)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A couple of years away, new tires and compounds, plus track changes…feel like they took an odd route with the tires by going for the unusual step between C5 softs and C3 medium and C2 hard.

Many don’t like an over reliance on tires and pit stops but the one stop that this selection allowed for is probably the reason for the processional nature of this race?

Despite some issues with getting the tires up to temperature, I would say the tires lasted too long no?

Last edited by chillibowl; 11 Apr 2022 at 13:00. Reason: Typo
Old 11 Apr 2022, 17:47 (Ref:4106354)   #74
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I'm not seeing it in the data - and with just two drivers I don't think the case is very strong.

Magnussen:
His fastest lap on them was a 83.071s when they were 4 laps old.
When they were 15 laps old, he was still able to put in an 83s lap.

Alonso:
His fastest lap on them was a 83.53 when they were 4 laps old.
He was then in a battle for 9th with Guanyu, Schumacher, Bottas, Gasly and Stroll for a few laps, so I don't think the lap times are indicative of true pace.
This on Albon on C2's vs Alonso switching from C2 to C3 in lap 39. Notice the drop off in pace with Alonso from lap 46 onwards. Also consider that Alonso was quite a bit faster on average compared to Albon on the C2's before he pitted.

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2022/gp/s8...times/843-239/

Same thing for Albon vs. Magnussen where Albon keeps going faster on 50 lap old C2's while Magnussen pace on the C3's stagnates and then drops off after about ten laps on the C3's.

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2022/gp/s8...times/843-813/

These are just two example. As said also in previous races, the softer compound were not able to endure the closer racing for that many laps. I can imagine they didn't test the way they would cope specifically with regards to close racing for so long in pre season testing.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 18:40 (Ref:4106366)   #75
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
These are just two example. As said also in previous races, the softer compound were not able to endure the closer racing for that many laps.
Like I said - I think the sample size is too small to make any definite assessment.

Alonso was in a train of six cars covered by less than 3.5 seconds from about lap 42, so it is impossible to know the true pace.

Magnussen was not on new C3s, he only took one set of used C3s into the race. They were more than 10 laps old, and were in the region of being 20+ laps old when he managed to overtake 4 other cars on C2 tyres.