Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 18 Nov 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2337084)   #1
hamsteruk23
Rookie

hamsteruk23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Windscreen Demisting

Does anyone know exactly what the touring car drivers or indeed any other tin top drivers use to help stop their windscreens misting up? This time of year is awful for misting and if you haven't got an electric screen your basically stuffed! I have tried all the liquids from Halfords and they just don't work, well not on my car anyway.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2337090)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Washing up liquid, wipe it on, leave to dry then polish it off. Will eventually succumb, but it works OK for a day.
Better still, leave the heater in the car.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2337145)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsteruk23
Does anyone know exactly what the touring car drivers or indeed any other tin top drivers use to help stop their windscreens misting up?
Some of them don't:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GgZjDQEISC4

I assume you're talking about a road car? If so, a few things which may help:

Keep the windscreen clean - a dirty screen will mist up more quickly than a clean one.
Make sure that the heater's not on the 'recirculate' setting.
If you've got aircon, turn it on - it will dehumidify the incoming air.
Turn all the airflow onto the windscreen & turn the heater fan to its highest setting - depending on the car, closing the face-level vents may improve airflow to the windscreen.

...of course, you've probably done all that!

By the way, what's this got to do with marshalling?
Old 18 Nov 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2337156)   #4
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My windscreen mists up terribly at this time of year, especially if it is icy as well. I put the fan on full heat and full chat up to it with aircon on, turn on the heated rear window/wing mirrors plus the heated seat (or both if Bill is with me!). Then I go round scraping and wiping the outsides in the hope that by the time I get in: a) the windscreen has demisted and b) the seat is warm. As it is only a two-seater and there ain't that many windows, that hasn't usually happened!!

I have resorted to holding envelopes above the dash trying to direct the air better onto the windscreen, but my scientific enquiries have so far proved inconclusive as to whether it helps or hinders.

I do find, though, that the windscreen demists faster once you are moving - BUT - as you can't see where you're going .........

And, as for what this has to do with marshalling - well, it is the quiet season for some of us, isn't it? What else do we have to discuss and it might help in getting safely to that circuit next time there's ice/snow in [whatever month]!
Old 18 Nov 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2337244)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many race cars have the little thermal strips embedded in the windscreen similar to those in the back window to assit with defogging.

The reason race cars fogg up so badly on wet days is they get water on the floor of the car and the exhaust heats it up and this then fogs up the car.

as for my road car I tend to drive with the air conditioning on all the time as this dries out the air by cooling and then heating it and pretty much stops the car from fogging up.

Then again the weather in Melbourne isn't as bad as it gets in the UK
Old 18 Nov 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2337305)   #6
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try using Rainex Anti Misting I find its very effective and doesn't allow the moisture inside the car to mist, rather it forms small beads that the internal blower clears quickly. Externally I swear by the main Rainex rain repellant stuff and hardly if ever have to use wipers.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2337326)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have tried every possible way of getting over this problem for years, and as pointed out the main problem is the inside of the car getting wet.
If you have done away with the heater and don't have a heated screen then I'm afraid you wont cure it. The only possible way is to rig up one of those electric aftermarket hot air blower things. I have even resorted to using a squeegee tied to the gear lever and use it on the straights !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Nov 2008, 01:38 (Ref:2337357)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This has to be the least marshal related thread on the marshals' forum ever. Please, guys, get out more. There are other parts of this forum, you know!

Moved.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2340106)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The internal airflow across the wind screen need not be heated. I removed the heater from my race car ages ago, and found that retaining a connection from the heater air inlet to the ventilation duct beneath the screen keeps it clear, even though it's blowing cold air.
John
Old 1 Dec 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2344969)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I have tried every possible way of getting over this problem for years, and as pointed out the main problem is the inside of the car getting wet.
If you have done away with the heater and don't have a heated screen then I'm afraid you wont cure it. The only possible way is to rig up one of those electric aftermarket hot air blower things. I have even resorted to using a squeegee tied to the gear lever and use it on the straights !

Thats all very well and good but how do you clear the screen Gordon?