Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 31 Mar 2000, 01:01 (Ref:15586)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started reading Dorothy Sayers' "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries because they were running on Masterpiece Theatre, but I have read all of them now, and all the Harriet Vane books too, because I like the philosophizing, quotations, and banter as much as I like the stories. My cousin says she can't stand them, they spend too much time talking and not enough time detecting! I also like the characters and the way they are drawn; they are easy to visualise and are like old friends when I meet up with them in the next book.

I have also read a lot of P.D. James, but her stories sometimes drive me nutz - so many times nobody did it, or everybody did it, or half the murders are solved halfway through the book and then the Copycat strikes - except for Inspector Dalgliesh, her books are more "puzzle stories" than real mysteries.

Campion only started working for me when I saw him played by Peter Davidson. Now I enjoy the stories very much, but before that I could not visualise him at all from the description that was given in Allingham's novels.

The most disappointing writer in this genre I have encountered is Josephine Tey. Her "Brat Farrar" was a fabulous book and the characters, particularly the protagonist, were almost hyper-real; the story was interesting and there was no mystery except to the other characters, there was just a race to see if he would reveal the truth before he was found out or killed. Every book I have read by her since then has been dreck. She seems to forget she's writing a mystery until she gets halfway through the book, and then suddenly in come a lot of characters you never saw before with motivations nobody ever had, and badabing badabang the mystery is solved and that's the end and please drive safely on the way home. And I shake my head and wonder how on earth she got anybody to pay her to write those things!

What kind of mystery writing do you like and who do you recommend?
Old 31 Mar 2000, 14:18 (Ref:15587)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
English writters: I still read Sir Arthur C. Doyle's Holmes stories, and one or two Ngaio Marsh.

I like the American classics of the genre, Edgar A. Poe, Dashiel Hammett, Ross McDonald, even Mickey Spillane; the hard-boiled noir detectives. I like 'real' mysteries where you figure it out yourself, not just 'police proceedural' stories where you follow the detectives as they solve the case,(unless there's a clever twist).

My favorite lately is a local (Detroit) contemporary author, Loren D. Estelman. He writes excellent westerns and detective stories that are very good.
Old 31 Mar 2000, 19:48 (Ref:15588)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree about the Sherlock Holmes Books, I've read em all! Including the little known set of short stories written By Adrian Conan Doyle, son of Holmes' creator.

Old 31 Mar 2000, 20:25 (Ref:15589)   #4
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read only one: The woman in white. By Wilky Collins. It was old (1850 I think) but I really enjoyed it. It's big enough to last a while (500 pages or something) and I intended to read more books like that. And I will...someday.