Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:22 (Ref:561808)   #1
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did your interest Start?

I Chose my member name "Hungary 89" because that was the race in which my interest in F1 first started

It was a great race in which the British Hero of the day Nigel Mansell started 12th on the Grid and unfortunatley for his fellow competitors some one forgot to tell him that the Hungaroring is almost impossible to overtake on so he sythed his way through the field to Win overtaking Senna and Prost on the way.

and I have missed very few races since

This thread is just to ask what stated other peoples interest in F1 was a specific race like me was it a family member I'm interested to Know
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:39 (Ref:561838)   #2
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally for me it started in the late 80's when Senna and Prost dominated with McLaren Honda. I remember my dad telling me that I was watching the best driver ever.(Senna)The idea of the "best" drivers in the most technologically advanced machines in the world has kept me interested.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:41 (Ref:561843)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm changing my name to Zandvoort '71.

I had been aware of F1 back to the Clark days, but my real interest took off in 1971.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:561845)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be Silverstone '92. I'm only young and the parents didn't introduce me to F1 soon enough!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:52 (Ref:561851)   #5
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When JV moved from Cart to F1.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:12 (Ref:561916)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I knew about F1 since I was a child; my father and brother have saw F1 since Reutemann and Gilles days and continued watching, supporting Prost. I stated as a Mansell fan there, but it was since Austria 1987 when I must remember I was watching all F1 races.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:35 (Ref:562022)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blimey, erm I've been watching F1 all my life (according to my old man anyway) but memorywise I think towards the end of 91. I remember Mansell's wheel coming off in the pits at one race (or something like that!) and spinning out at Suzuka giving Senna the title. My parents were both very happy with that one I can tell you!

I've got the odd memory from earlier but nothing I can put my finger on now!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:39 (Ref:562031)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be the end of '91 p, the wheel incident was in Portugal.

The first race I 'watched' (by which I mean was fully aware off from start to finish) was Mexico '90. It needs no introduction. However I do have vague memories Suzuka '89 (Senna was robbed!) as well. But since Mexico '90 I haven't missed a race yet.

Last edited by Damon; 7 Apr 2003 at 19:42.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:50 (Ref:562050)   #9
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1971 for me also...got hooked on Lotus a the beginning....and then Stewart...and then Lauda.....
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:562064)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
8th October 1978 - Grand Prix of Canada. Gilles wins in the snow, at home, in a Ferrari. Sundays have not been the same since.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:04 (Ref:562072)   #11
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe when I was 9 or 10('bout 11 years ago)
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:10 (Ref:562084)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
when I was 8, British Grand Prix 1994. became a Damon Hill & David Coulthard fan right then and there.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:16 (Ref:562089)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really can't remember...
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:29 (Ref:562105)   #14
xbook
Rookie

xbook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been enamored with the cars since my dad gave me a Matchbox car of a mid-70's Lotus with the John Player's Special livery. I wasn't able to start seeing the races with regularity on TV until the early 90's. US F1 coverage has always been very low...

xBook
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:51 (Ref:562132)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started watching with my father when I was about 4 years old. I can clearly remember Senna in the JPS Lotus-Renault. I was a fan the first time I saw him.

Senna, Dale Ernhardt, and Bobby Rahal... Those are the guys I grew up rooting for.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:52 (Ref:562135)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't really remember when I first took and interest...it must have been quite young though about 8 or 9 i think, but then they were just cars going round a track to me, how different it is now!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 21:12 (Ref:562170)   #17
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey I go shopping and this is what I come back to

Thank you all very much

Just a few comments on the above

Kex Silverstone 92 was the first F1 race I went to

Paulzinho I am guessing your parents were not big fans of Our Nige'

To any one who mensioned Gilles I wish I had been into F1 back then

And Down Force That was the Last F1 Race I attended got a bit pricey after that
Old 7 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:562193)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got into F1 by accident.

It was the 1995 Brazilian GP weekend. My sister and boyfriend had come over and we wanted to know what was on.

We found the race, sat and watched. I have been following it ever since.

Pretty boring story really
Old 7 Apr 2003, 21:35 (Ref:562196)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got into it very early because my dad is into motorsport. I remember Mansell's first win in '85, but the first full season I can remember is '86 when I was six.

I still can't believe I can remember Mansell's blowout in Adelaide '86 so clearly when I was so young!

Last edited by Spudgun; 7 Apr 2003 at 21:36.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 21:48 (Ref:562207)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89

Paulzinho I am guessing your parents were not big fans of Our Nige'
Nah! My Mums Brasilian and my Dad used to race against Senna.... he never did rate Mansell that highly!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 22:22 (Ref:562230)   #21
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...I was watching F1 with mom and dad when I was six and I was missing only 4 AM races in Australia....but I really became interested on 2nd August 1998. It was that year's German Grand Prix and I was amazed by what Jacques Villeneuve, whom I was supporting before that but I wasn't really into that, was doing with his relatively bad Williams. And I loved the place. So, since then I have had two big loves in F1. Too bad I have 1 1/3 now.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 23:27 (Ref:562274)   #22
Nomad
Rookie

Nomad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I became fully interested by a video game.

My dad is a full-fledged anorak, and I'd always kind of played along (for my fifth birthday, he bought me Tamiya kits for Lauda's 1978 Brabham and the Lotus 78 of Mario Andretti. Still have the Lotus kit, but it's not assembled).

Anyway, fast forward to mid-1999, and I picked up "F1 World Grand Prix" for the Nintendo 64. I was hooked.

Since then, I've seen every race since Melbourne '00 and have them all on tape (5 a.m. in the Pacific time zone for European races can be a brutal time for me, though. )

Old 7 Apr 2003, 23:29 (Ref:562278)   #23
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the US I havent had much exposure to F1 very unfortuantely.... as I missed out on Senna and much more I am afraid.

I would say when JV left
then when Alex left (he had a bad car and I still think could have been really good in F1 if he had more of a chance)
and then when JMP went over to I was completely hooked

Alex and JMP... the best racing I ever seen in person(Elkhart lake 97, 98, 99, & 00) those two guys were awesome on that track just breathtaking

Though it took me awhile to ever get introduced to F1 I am so glad I was
Old 8 Apr 2003, 01:40 (Ref:562330)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first full season of watching F1 was in 1992, though I had watched the Australian GP for a number of years before that. I didn't know they showed all the other races as well!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 02:00 (Ref:562337)   #25
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Must have been 1993, when I used to watch the races on ESPN Sunday mornings before church. Or maybe it was 1994. I remember Schumacher in the Benetton, Hill in the Williams, Hakkinen in the McLaren, and (my favorite) Alesi and Berger in the Ferraris. I remember Andretti, so it must have been '93, but I certainly remember when Senna died.