Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2986120)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How relevant are F1 cars to today's road cars?

So as the question asks, does F1 today have any relevancy to cars on the road? Over the past, we have seen technology filtered from F1 cars to road cars that we take for granted for today.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2986124)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 has no more and no less relevance to road cars than at any stage in the past 50 years. Whilst technology has filtered down, that does not in itself imply relevance. Stuff has filtered down to road cars from the Space Shuttle programme, but nobody felt the shuttle programme was relevant to road cars.

F1 should NOT be about road relevancy in terms of regulation or intention. If stuff does filter down (or the other way!) then that should be a bonus.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2986134)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Very little in the way of 'invention' finds its way on to road cars. F1 tends to take existing technology from either the aerospace/car manufacturers and refine it, so that it can help to refine road cars. But, generally speaking, most of the things on an F1 car are there to make an F1 car go faster. Road cars don't need 18,000 rpm engines or gearboxes that change gear in the blink of an eye. Nor do they need hour upon hour of wind tunnel testing or suspension that is made from carbon fibre.

Some road cars are fitted with carbon fibre brakes, but the cost for little gain in 'real world' braking performance and the cost of frequent replacement, means that they are more 'bling' than a real step forward.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2986141)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post

F1 should NOT be about road relevancy in terms of regulation or intention.
Agreed. But no one is willing to sponsor that sort of thing any more. Sponsors no longer want to be associated with 'Conspicuous Consumption'. They want to be 'seen' to be sponsoring something that is relevant to the economic climate and world energy problems as they currently stand.

You may well find that perhaps only one of the current teams would agree with your point of view. But even they've been making noises about 'relevancy to the real world' just lately.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2986206)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
In another thread, someone said that small capacity turbo cars were a better strategy than hybrid technology. Perhaps the best strategy is small turbo charged engines that also have hybrid technology? Sound familiar?

An even better strategy is to have an electric car where the petrol or diesel engine is only used as a generator/range extender (Vauxhall Ampere, GM Volt, etc).
Old 14 Nov 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2986298)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is more relevant than tennis. Tennis isn't relevant to anything other than tennis. Hurrah! So there is no requirement.

Are they relevant. Maybe not directly, but in understanding they are, for both engineers and spectators.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2986386)   #7
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
In another thread, someone said that small capacity turbo cars were a better strategy than hybrid technology. Perhaps the best strategy is small turbo charged engines that also have hybrid technology? Sound familiar?

An even better strategy is to have an electric car where the petrol or diesel engine is only used as a generator/range extender (Vauxhall Ampere, GM Volt, etc).
Strictly I said it was a more popular strategy, subtle difference
Old 15 Nov 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2986467)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Strictly I said it was a more popular strategy, subtle difference
Perhaps. But things are moving on pretty swiftly in the car world these days.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2986592)   #9
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where does all this hybrid technology fit into the other motor-sport series around the world. Will F3 adopt new technologies? I know Indycar is changing their chassis for next year, but do they changes afoot regarding engine tech?
What about Nascar? Rallying? Any ideas?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2986636)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Where does all this hybrid technology fit into the other motor-sport series around the world.
Indycar will use V6 2.2 litre engines next season. AFAIK KERS is already used in Le Mans cars and rally cars. It's extra power for nothing.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2988256)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Perhaps the most relevant thing about the 2014 rules will be that the drivers are be able to start their cars by simply pushing a button.

5.18 Starting the engine :

"It must be possible for the driver to start the engine at any time when seated normally at the wheel and without any external assistance."

Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2988330)   #12
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When I drive my Hyundai in summer with the AC on and wish to overtake a slower car, I shut off the AC for the extra power boost.

Sometimes I call it my DRS, other times KERS...

...does that count?
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2988334)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
When I drive my Hyundai in summer with the AC on and wish to overtake a slower car, I shut off the AC for the extra power boost.

...does that count?
I'm afraid not. Vettel and co have to make do without such luxuries as AC in the first place.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2988355)   #14
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

...does that count?
Surely that should be in the "obssessive about F1 thread"?
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2988363)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Surely that should be in the "obssessive about F1 thread"?
I think that it should be in the: "I think I need a quicker car" thread.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2988746)   #16
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I think that it should be in the: "I think I need a quicker car" thread.
I have a SLK 55 AMG for those days!