Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3989598)   #451
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Another bad race for Ferrari they have got to do something or they will be classed as midfield and not even the best of the midfield
Old 19 Jul 2020, 23:02 (Ref:3989620)   #452
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they're firmly ensconced in the midfield and Racing Point has their measure and McLaren on race pace. Even Renault seems like they can challenge when they don't break.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 23:41 (Ref:3989847)   #453
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferrari are in the docks, while Racing Point have become a top team. It won’t last forever with Ferrari, but it is weird seeing them amongst the midfield teams. Heads will roll if they don’t get anywhere
Old 21 Jul 2020, 07:36 (Ref:3989877)   #454
JY BDC
Rookie

South Africa
South AFrica
JY BDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just shows a lot of current fans don't really study the history of the sport. And probably look at statistics too much. I mean Kimi second

To me Schumi may have been the most successful, but compared with some of those list, he didn't quite have the passionate prancing horse image, unlike say Villeneuve, Alesi, Alonso and even Kimi and Seb
Watching some of the drives in the Benneton gave me a very different perspective of how much driving passion and skill Schumi possessed , compared to all the winning years at Ferrari. Those were of course fantastic years , but perhaps tainted with some of his "lesser" moments with Hill and Villenauve in the past , as we know the bad men do is long remembered over the good .... that said I do agree many of us , myself included , lack knowledge of the history of the sport , a lot of that down to the missing of the modern age filming / you tube clips we have today.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3989886)   #455
JY BDC
Rookie

South Africa
South AFrica
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Another bad race for Ferrari they have got to do something or they will be classed as midfield and not even the best of the midfield
What else do you expect when most of their (positive in lap time) developments are deemed illegal yet everything Merc does is acceptable ? Like the latest DAS thing ... it is even outlawed for 2021 , but yet they are allowed to gain an advantage for the entire 2020 ? some things in F1 just don't make sense. Still love watching and following it though ....
Old 21 Jul 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3989930)   #456
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps Merc are just more careful that what they do can't be determined to be illegal......
Old 21 Jul 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3989935)   #457
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Perhaps Merc are just more careful that what they do can't be determined to be illegal......
I think this ^^^

It's just a guess from observed situations, but it seems that Merc are open with the FIA about any proposed 'exploitation', and work with the authorities to reach an acceptable solution.

Other teams (such as Ferrari) seem to develop their 'exploits' in isolation, and attempt to use them without the knowledge of the authorities. When they are discovered, then they have to undo their work. If they had been open from the outset, maybe a 75-80% solution might be agreed upon, and they would be able to implement the change.

Some of this - I think - may be entrenched in the Italian mindset, where there is a natural distrust of authority?
Old 21 Jul 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3989937)   #458
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Poor old Charles was given a suicide strategy to be fair to him.
They wanted to put Vettel on softs as well, but Seb asked for mediums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDasVVdtMXs
Old 21 Jul 2020, 11:48 (Ref:3989955)   #459
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Once again, Vettel calling the shots from the car. Same as it's been for years - Ferrari can't make the calls and the drivers have to guide the pit wall.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3989964)   #460
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferrari can't decide amongst themselves what to do, that's the problem. They need better strategists in the team, they are needing the drivers more than ever to tell them what's going on, rather than working out for themselves on the pit wall
Old 21 Jul 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3989987)   #461
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Italian politics/identity is often cited as a fault but i never understood if this had more to do with just how various countries and/or its citizens view one another...after all Ferrari have been very successful over the years (arguably the most successful team ever), is currently one of the strongest brands in the world, and surely if its a measurement of dysfunctional teams then F1 has had a lot of those.

for sure though, across nations there are differences in managements styles and organizational structures but given Ferrari's history overall, shouldn't this indicate that their approach has worked more often then it has not?
Old 21 Jul 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3990002)   #462
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Italian politics/identity is often cited as a fault but i never understood if this had more to do with just how various countries and/or its citizens view one another...after all Ferrari have been very successful over the years (arguably the most successful team ever), is currently one of the strongest brands in the world, and surely if its a measurement of dysfunctional teams then F1 has had a lot of those.

for sure though, across nations there are differences in managements styles and organizational structures but given Ferrari's history overall, shouldn't this indicate that their approach has worked more often then it has not?
I don't know much about pre 80s Ferrari, but other than the 2 titles in the 1980s, isn't almost every Ferrari title won under non-Italian management? When Todt and Brawn ran the team? There were a couple in 07/08 when McLaren were busy infighting, but it's always struck me as Ferraris best years were when Italians were not running the team?
Old 21 Jul 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3990027)   #463
S griffin
Veteran

Ferrari did bloom for a bit in the 80s, but they didn't make the most of their chances, either through missing out on top drivers or their car being outrun by others. And we have had many changes of management through the years. Obviously Todt did enough to help them and Brawn learned a lot there.

Ferrari did well to win in 07, helped as you say by McLaren throwing away their chances, but they didn't quite get to those heights in 08 with their car. We'll see now what the future holds for Ferrari, who will be next in line to do the job
Old 21 Jul 2020, 17:43 (Ref:3990032)   #464
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't know much about pre 80s Ferrari, but other than the 2 titles in the 1980s, isn't almost every Ferrari title won under non-Italian management? When Todt and Brawn ran the team? There were a couple in 07/08 when McLaren were busy infighting, but it's always struck me as Ferraris best years were when Italians were not running the team?
Pre '80s their best results as a constructor were winning the WCC in '75 - '77 and '79, under the guidance of designer Mauro Forghieri, who more or less acted as the Team Principal. '70 and '72 had been promising but '73 was abysmal when Forghieri was sidelined and transferred to the experimental department by FIAT executives. Ferrari didn't turn up to either the Dutch or German GPs and their No 1 driver, the legendary Jacky Ickx, left half-way through the season. Prior to that they won the WCC in '61 and '64.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3990040)   #465
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ferrari did bloom for a bit in the 80s, but they didn't make the most of their chances, either through missing out on top drivers or their car being outrun by others. And we have had many changes of management through the years. Obviously Todt did enough to help them and Brawn learned a lot there.
Jean Todt was hired as Ferrari's General Manager in July 1993 and they finished 4th that year in the WCC, with second place in 1994 and 5. However it wasn't until Ross Brawn followed Schumacher to Ferrari and Rory Byrne joined at the end of 1996, did Ferrari's fortunes really change and the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3990042)   #466
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Jean Todt was hired as Ferrari's General Manager in July 1993 and they finished 4th that year in the WCC, with second place in 1994 and 5. However it wasn't until Ross Brawn followed Schumacher to Ferrari and Rory Byrne joined at the end of 1996, did Ferrari's fortunes really change and the rest, as they say, is history.
Luca was in charge of the company though and while Todt and Brawn would have been more responsible for the race team itself i would imagine the majority of department heads and employees would still have been Italian doing things in 'Italian' ways.

but if the person at the top defines the structure then one could likewise say that an Italian (Flavio) took a French/British team to two titles.

Quote:
We'll see now what the future holds for Ferrari, who will be next in line to do the job
in fairness, im not sure what i think of Binotto. all accounts suggest that his job is safe which means it cant be safe!!!

Todt had Luca, Horner has Marko, Toto had Lauda (which must have been a tremendous mentorship)...

recently, Ferrari has had a string of team principles, none of whom seemed to have any legacy support at all and all ultimately seemed lost or overwhelmed by the job...if Michael had not gotten hurt i wonder if he could have been their guy? i have no idea if team principle or mentorship role was one Schumi ever saw for himself though.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 20:36 (Ref:3990062)   #467
S griffin
Veteran

Luca was great while he lasted and he did well to get Todt and Brawn on board, they were very valuable to the team, but if it failed, it wouldn’t have looked good. The problem is when you’re running the racing team of a major manufacturer, you always answering to up above

For me Binotto seems alright, but he will not bring success to the Scuderia IMHO. He’ll be lucky to last another season.

It does get confusing all these team managers and presidents, some are more powerful than others, others just sit back and let the racing people do the work.

I doubt Schumi though would run the team. Maybe they could get an ex F1 driver as an advisor, maybe even one who is still racing somewhere. For me though, I doubt Schumi would have come back to the Prancing Horse, that was over for him
Old 21 Jul 2020, 21:11 (Ref:3990073)   #468
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
?not really certain he is in a fit state top do much at the moment THB
Old 21 Jul 2020, 22:21 (Ref:3990079)   #469
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
?not really certain he is in a fit state top do much at the moment THB
Well no, obviously!!

The poster referred to what might Schu have done if he hadn't been injured back then.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3990106)   #470
JY BDC
Rookie

South Africa
South AFrica
If you go back to watch the races when Schumi was still with Benetton - ignoring the "bad ones" when colliding with Hill and Villeneuve that until today is remembered ! you will see what driving skill and passion is all about . And that car appeared difficult to drive , as were all cars of that era.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3990251)   #471
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Ferrari have renounced a restructuring of their technical department.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...paign=widget-1
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:15 (Ref:3990254)   #472
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Panic setting in already, not a happy place to be this season i suspect
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3990255)   #473
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Freudian slip or typo on "renounced"...

Renounced.... "To reject and stop using or consuming"

Ferrari may very well need to renounce their technical department!

Richard
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3990257)   #474
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

Wonder who will be in and who will be out. I would have thought it more likely there will be changes at the top
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3990259)   #475
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Freudian slip or typo on "renounced"...

Renounced.... "To reject and stop using or consuming"

Ferrari may very well need to renounce their technical department!

Richard
Announced, renounced, either way it's an interesting development, in the current Ferrari saga.