Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2888123)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pirelli (ITA) : ban tyre changes under red flag.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91893

Were we robbed of a tight conclusion up top because of the tyre changes during the red flag interruption? I think they have a point there, refuelling was banned during red flags. There could always be an exemption for if there's a weather change, or if the tyres are clearly dangerously damaged (with a stop-go penalty). Perhaps it could be full parc ferme conditions, possibly?
Old 30 May 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2888130)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes. It was interesting how the change to tyres with similar rates of degradation had totally killed the racing. Not for the first time though.

I would hope that the FIA are having a look at what could be done to change this aspect of the Red Flag regulations.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2888135)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91893

Were we robbed of a tight conclusion up top because of the tyre changes during the red flag interruption? I think they have a point there, refuelling was banned during red flags. There could always be an exemption for if there's a weather change, or if the tyres are clearly dangerously damaged (with a stop-go penalty). Perhaps it could be full parc ferme conditions, possibly?
Agreed, it was a shame what happened.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2888141)   #4
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being ignorant of the rules under red flag conditions (I guess I haven't paid attention in previous occurences) I was astonished that they were allowed to change tyres and work on the cars. It totally destroyed what was shaping up to be a fantastic finish. It may not happen again for quite some time, but I think they have to respond and change this rule.
Old 30 May 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2888206)   #5
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Being ignorant of the rules under red flag conditions (I guess I haven't paid attention in previous occurences) I was astonished that they were allowed to change tyres and work on the cars. It totally destroyed what was shaping up to be a fantastic finish. It may not happen again for quite some time, but I think they have to respond and change this rule.
For what it's worth I'd say the simplest option would be to say that if there is a red flag you can go to the grid and do only what is required to start the car or you can go to the pits and do anything you are allowed to do during a pitstop but these cars will exit the pits in race order after those on the grid have gone past and will take the safety car restart in those positions. Seems logical to me.
Old 30 May 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2888210)   #6
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
For what it's worth I'd say the simplest option would be to say that if there is a red flag you can go to the grid and do only what is required to start the car or you can go to the pits and do anything you are allowed to do during a pitstop but these cars will exit the pits in race order after those on the grid have gone past and will take the safety car restart in those positions. Seems logical to me.
sounds logical to me as well. you should only be allowed to pop tyre blankets on and the various umbilical chords the car needs to survive, or if you work on the car then you have to start from the pits
Old 30 May 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2888212)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Shoulda just done a straight grid restart haha.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2888229)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think the simplest solution would have been just to end the race. im glad that didnt happen though.

im curious if anyone in charge would be willing to accept the risk (and culpability) of allowing a restart with marginal tires that are not up to temperature. some of these people already spent a decade or so answering somewhat similar questions.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2888238)   #9
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year I recall someone (Vettel?) waiting until the very last lap to switch onto the hard compound. Could you imagine a red flag in that situation? This regulartion literally needs to be changed yesterday.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2888243)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Last year I recall someone (Vettel?) waiting until the very last lap to switch onto the hard compound. Could you imagine a red flag in that situation? This regulartion literally needs to be changed yesterday.
Kobayashi at Velencia?
Old 30 May 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2888253)   #11
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i think the simplest solution would have been just to end the race. im glad that didnt happen though.

im curious if anyone in charge would be willing to accept the risk (and culpability) of allowing a restart with marginal tires that are not up to temperature. some of these people already spent a decade or so answering somewhat similar questions.
I don't agree that the responsability should be on the shoulders of the race director or race control like you seem to imply. the teams/drivers are the decision makers for themselves and therefore it's their responsability should they decide not to incur on a penalty (or restart on the pit lane like someone rightfully suggested here) and remain on marginal tyres to keep track position.

Because of this kind of mentality we've had situations like Korea with the front-runners, satisfied with their position on track, wanting to go to the end of the race behind the safety car. "Oh, it's undrivable" "worst conditions ever" etc.. and shortly after they began racing we had quite a few cars going to the boxes to exchange the full wets for inters.
Old 31 May 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2888485)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Agilais View Post
I don't agree that the responsability should be on the shoulders of the race director or race control like you seem to imply. the teams/drivers are the decision makers for themselves and therefore it's their responsability should they decide not to incur on a penalty (or restart on the pit lane like someone rightfully suggested here) and remain on marginal tyres to keep track position.

Because of this kind of mentality we've had situations like Korea with the front-runners, satisfied with their position on track, wanting to go to the end of the race behind the safety car. "Oh, it's undrivable" "worst conditions ever" etc.. and shortly after they began racing we had quite a few cars going to the boxes to exchange the full wets for inters.
You are correct. They need to change this yesterday as you Golddustmini and fourWheelDrift recommend.