Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2006, 01:14 (Ref:1661143)   #1
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
100 wins and 10 Championships (drivers)

How many people here think it's possible that schumacher will reach 100 wins by the end of his career?
I think he most probably can the odds are more for than against him for it. It all really depends on if he retires this year. The man already has an incredable 88 wins. Lets say he wins 3 more races this year, that would mean he would have 91 wins. I think this could be something which could make him want to stay, the prospect of getting 100 wins a magical and quite simply unreal figure to reach. He will definatly be attracted to this seems though all teams will be on BS next year. But i don't think that schumacher is the type to stay in F1 just to break all the records and blitz the opposition, he is just there because he enjoys it like a young kid in a kart.
Another point which i am going to bring up is that if he wins the championship this year then that will be his eighth championship, and then if he wins again next year it will be his nineth. If he is still enjoying the championship enough by this time who knows he might want to carry on and get his tenth. I know this thread is a lot of if's and buts but it could happen! Think about how much of a great way to finish of a career that would be. People would argue that he had plenty of races to do in but he would have race what 270-280 races by this time but won more than a third of them still an amazing record.
I know this subject won't be very popular with many people and people will most probably bring out the bad points.
But how many other people think he can do it?
Old 21 Jul 2006, 04:14 (Ref:1661186)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, it can happen. Although how meaningful this figure would be is debatable to say the very least.

I think Michael cares about records of this nature a great deal, although he primarily enjoys the sport.

Ten titles? Very difficult IMO. I don't think he'll get there, but you never know.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 21 Jul 2006 at 04:23.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1661188)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he does it..

Imagine securing a 10th Title and 100th win in front of the Tifosi at Monza.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 05:05 (Ref:1661198)   #4
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
100 wins is certainly an achievable goal for him, but 10 titles might be a bit tougher. Anything is possible though.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1661236)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you ask me, i think it's unlikely. This guy is already 37, fighting against guys almost half his age. Even for a man of his capabilities, i think it'd be difficult.

Nobody would have thought MS would be holding 7 WDCs and 88 wins to his name in 2006 when he first joined Ferrari in '96. So i won't rule out 100 wins. He could have won more if he'd taken the easy route and hop from one championship team to another. Outright records are not what motivates him to stay, and i think his longetivity in F1 and his unsurpassed ability meant that he deserves whatever records he manage to break when he retires.

Good luck to him.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1661288)   #6
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not convinced Schumacher will even win an 8th title, never mind 10!

100 wins is definitely within his grasp, but again that depends whether he gets Raikkonen as a teammate for next year and how long he stays on in F1 for. I suspect though that if he does win an 8th title, he will retire straight away. But thats just me.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1661290)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
I hope he does it..

Imagine securing a 10th Title and 100th win in front of the Tifosi at Monza.
It is unlikely that these could coincide. He will need more than 100 overall wins to secure three more championships.

I feel he has a championship in him and could well reach 100 wins.

Those would be remarkable numbers!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1661506)   #8
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever he achieves in the future he's created some amazing records and given us all some remarkable memories. Whether people love him or hate him his era of Formula 1 has been characterised by some brilliant drives.

At some point in the not too distant future we will reach the 1000th F1 race - if he's still 'only' on 88 wins that will still be a mega percentage of victories. I wish I could find that autographed race ticket...

Jon.

P.S. Hello all - I'm new around here.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1661524)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst Michael is certainly among the all-time greats, I think the extent to which his raw statistics are ahead of anyone else does flatter him a little. Compare the drivers Prost had as team-mates to the drivers Michael has had, and the number of races he has done in victory-capable cars to Fangio or Clark, and you realise why his numbers are so much better than anyone else.

In answer to the specific questions here, 100 wins is feasible but 10 championships seems unlikely.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1661680)   #10
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if he doesn't retire after this season 100 wins are probably on the cards, but I doubt he'll still go for 10 titles.
but what you can clearly see by this thread is how michael set new standards. if someone would have suggested numbers like that even in the 90s, he'd been called a fool. and on top of that, michael could already be on ten...
Old 21 Jul 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1661702)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no reason why he would *want* to go for 10 titles, if he stays in f1 I would have thought it would be because he is enjoying racing as much as he used to, and still thinks he is among the best out there.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1662301)   #12
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore

Those would be remarkable numbers!
Indeed, they would. Thats why i opened this thread so we can discuss these amazing statistics. If MS does get to 100 wins, then he will have almost won one tenth of all gp's hosted ever. He would have won more than 30 gp's than the nearest person in the record books. He would have won more championships and gp's than the average team. Amazing, amazing man.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1662305)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trouser wetting stuff.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1662336)   #14
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales

post of the month knowlesy
Old 23 Jul 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1662701)   #15
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And if he were to reach 102 GP wins (not that unlikely) he will have double the next highest. (Alain Prost on 51)
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1662877)   #16
KaiserSose
Rookie

United States
Olympia, WA
KaiserSose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember years ago my buddy asking, "You think he'll break Prost's record?"

We were big Prost fans.

I said "Yeah. This guy isn't like Prost, or even Senna. He's like a machine when he needs to be. He'll beat Prost's record."

I'd have never thought he'd beat it by 30+ wins.

Now THAT'S a win record that going to be hard to break, not to mention the WDC titles. He set the bar pretty high for everyone else.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1662885)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It feels like yesterday he broke Prosts win record. It's incredible how the record has moved on since then, though ultimately it doesn't mean much extra.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1664289)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as others have said, if he was to get 10 titles then he would, almost certainly, have somewhat more than 100 wins.

However, I will work on the premise he retires with 100 wins and 10 titles.

We all know about how Michael is evil, has coasted it with crap opposition, and has fluked it in brilliant cars every year. SO, with that in mind, we could do some cancellations. You know, something of a it-is-not-fair-Michael-has-much-bigger-numbers-than-Senna tax.

Let us start with the obvious. Let us make Jerez and Adelaide cost him one title, 10 wins, and 10 poles each.

(Running total: 2 titles, 20 wins, 20 poles)

Michael has been in competitive, or, at worst, not disgracefully uncompetitive, machinery for his entire career. This is clearly totally unfair, thus I shall penalise him a further two titles, 20 wins, and 20 poles.

(Running total: 4 titles, 40 wins, 40 poles)

Now, of course, there is the other one involving his relative opposition. As has been very well documented, the rubbish nature of Michael’s opposition has enabled him to, relatively speaking, walk it. On the one hand the driver makes no difference because it is all about the car, but on the other the standard of his opposition has made a critical difference to what he has achieved. You know it is a logically coherent position. This unfair advantage will cost him another title, 10 wins, and 10 poles.

(Running total: 5 titles, 50 wins, 50 poles)

Then there is the whole slavery thing. Yeah, this one deserves severe penalty. Michael is the only driver to have ever had weaker, subservient team-mates. This had never happened with WDC contenders before. Not once. Not ever. Ideally I would prescribe castration, but there is this whole human rights movement that gets it namby-pamby-nanny-state-political-correctness agenda in the way. I will settle for his remaing titles, wins, and poles.

(Running total: 7 titles, 88 wins, 68 poles)

One may think we are done, but we aren’t. Now we hit my favourite penalty of all. I call it the it’s-Michael-Schumacher-and-he-is-German tax. It eliminates his fastest laps. I cannot remember exactly how many FLs he has. Something like 65-70 I think? I will say 70, but please inform me of the correct number.

(Running total: 7 titles, 88 wins, 68 poles, 70 Fastest Laps)

I may have messed up my numbers for the final tax. Rest assured it is meant to ensure he has no titles, no wins, no poles, and no fastest laps.

Last edited by Dutton; 25 Jul 2006 at 16:09.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1664294)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The chin tax,you forgot the chin tax Dutton.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1664299)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, good point.

I will re-brand the final tax.

Gone is it’s-Michael-Schumacher-and-he-is-German tax.

Say hello the to the it’s-Michael-Schumacher-and-he-has-a-big-Germanic-chin tax.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1664418)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The over-zealously-defend-Michael-in-a-sarcastic-manner tax?
Old 25 Jul 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1664434)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
And if he were to reach 102 GP wins (not that unlikely) he will have double the next highest. (Alain Prost on 51)
I simply can't wait.